Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

I have an iMac.
So the midi set up can only even be set to 2ch max :(

So after reading your explanation of the situation, one would have to say the FireWave is the only hope for iMac users.
Has any one tried one of these?

http://www.griffinte...ducts/firewave#

#22 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

View Postz1ross, on May 27th 2008, 11:50 PM, said:

There are no games that do DOLBY Digital on the fly encoding to direct output optically 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 surround sound.
Why would the game devs do it? That's a horrible waste of time.

PCs that do Surround sound gaming are using Analog signals to the speaker systems to do this
PCs doing DDL over optical or coax have been around since 2001 or 2002. My PC's motherboard is from 2003 and has DDL out over optical and coax. Even doing it in software would hardly take squat CPU time on a Core2.

What some of the games do support for surround sound is Dolby Pro Logic I & II. This encodes secondary analog signals across a 2ch (left&right) output to be decoded by a decoder
And it's horrid. You might as well lump in the few games that have pre-recorded DD clips. Worthless. DDL (or DTS connect) is dirt cheap and there's no reason to stand for anything less.

#23 z1ross

z1ross

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:44 AM

Quoted from Wikipedia
"
Dolby Digital Live

Dolby Digital Live (DDL) is a real-time encoding technology for interactive media such as video games. It converts any audio signals on a PC or game console into the 5.1-channel Dolby Digital format and transports it via a single S/PDIF cable.[1] A similar technology known as DTS Connect is available from competitor DTS.

Dolby Digital Live is currently available in sound cards from manufacturers such as Turtle Beach[2], HT OMEGA SYSTEM[3], Auzentech[4] and Asus[5] using C-Media chipsets. The SoundStorm, used for the Xbox game console and certain nForce2-based PCs, used an early form of this technology.

DDL is also available on motherboards with codecs such as Realtek's ALC882D,[6] ALC888DD and ALC888H.

DDL is also supported by all Creative X-Fi based sound cards, but is intentionally disabled in the drivers by Creative on all but the Auzentech Prelude. A programmer by the name daniel_k has fixed these drivers in Windows Vista by un-crippling DDL and fixing other bugs and has subsequently been censored and censured by Creative for doing so. [7]

An important benefit of this technology is that it enables the use of digital multichannel sound with consumer sound cards, which are otherwise limited to PCM stereo or multichannel analog.
"

And with that, I whole heartedly agree Prologic sounds like dirt :bleedingeyes:  when one has heard true 6ch+ surround sound. :lol:

And yes if a company wanted to output a DDL dongle for OSX I would love it and I'm surprized that the current macs don't already have DDL added as it's only one small chip on the MB and a small amount of software to get it working in core audio. This would be a Huge push in the right direction.

I'm also testing Doom3 playing all the way through from beginning to end with Surround sound to see how well it works. :unsure:

And for those of you interested there are 2 Harmony Audio devices for sale on ebay right now. for those who play games in boot camp, Miglia also has downloadable Windows XP drivers for it so it can still be used in Windows. I'm not sure how well it works, but I'm planning on testing that within the next 2 weeks.

#24 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:45 PM

Well I went ahead and got myself a FireWave. Doom 3 sounds brilliant with it, with full 24-Bit surround.
My only gripe with the card is it can't auto disable Pro Logic II when playing something in surround. As I feel up-mixing stereo to all channels is essential but games like Doom 3 in surround are also crucial.

I will just also add a little note than when I tried to see how it would sound with Quake 4, no dice. It crashes straight away. :(