#1 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1837 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

Microsoft buys Bethesda for 7.5 Billion.

While I think the end result is the same regarding non-existent Mac versions, this still has some tantalizingly interesting possible effects, including:

- Obsidian and Fallout are now under one roof. Fallout: New Vegas 2?
- Microsoft doesn't hate John Carmack.

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8613 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:04 PM

Hooray for the monopolisation of the gaming market. :glare:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:22 PM

DRM restricting games you can't even run with proton or lutris on the linux side? Sounds to me they are committed to releasing buggy fallout games as well as elder scroll titles on both new xbox consoles and windows 10.
What is a man?

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4421 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 22 September 2020 - 03:51 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 21 September 2020 - 04:04 PM, said:

Hooray for the monopolisation of the gaming market. :glare:
At least anyone can sit down at their computer and code a great game. We are in the golden age of indies, just to prove that point.

Sure, it is annoying that established franchises that people like suffer from this, but there is still soooo many other great games to play.. :)
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#5 mindnoise

mindnoise

Born On Board

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:24 AM

View PostCougar, on 21 September 2020 - 10:34 AM, said:

... this still has some tantalizingly interesting possible effects, including:

- Obsidian and Fallout are now under one roof. ...?
- Microsoft doesn't hate John Carmack.

this and let's hope they kill off Bethesda.net. With such a requirement I am not interested in any new games from them anyway.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

#6 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:59 AM

View PostCougar, on 21 September 2020 - 10:34 AM, said:

While I think the end result is the same regarding non-existent Mac versions...

Even though Microsoft is the biggest competition for Apple, they're actually much more Apple-friendly than Bethesda/ZeniMax has ever been. Games like the new Doom games, the new Wolfenstein games or Rage 2 have never been released for the Mac, so I don't care at all if Microsoft buys them. It can't get any worse.

#7 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3048 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:19 AM

Looking at the list of games they have published, almost none made it to Mac. Rise of the Tomb Raider was published on Mac, but Microsoft doesn't own that developer, they just published the XBox version. (There will be one next year though: Psychonauts 2.)

So as you say, it can't get much worse.

Choice quote from one of Bethesda's blog posts about the acquisition.

Like our original partnership, this one is about more than one system or one screen. We share a deep belief in the fundamental power of games, in their ability to connect, empower, and bring joy. And a belief we should bring that to everyone - regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you play on.

His first draft probably added: "Except for Mac users. They can go f*** themselves." :-)

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2362 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:29 PM

Following anyone trying to play Bethesda games on Windows it sounds like they said double f*** PC gamers.

Everyone should play them as Todd intended, on Xbox.

Attached Files

IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
ChonkOpad (iPad Pro 8,9): A12Z @ 2.49ghz || 6GB RAM || 256GB

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8613 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:33 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 25 September 2020 - 02:29 PM, said:

Following anyone trying to play Bethesda games on Windows it sounds like they said double f*** PC gamers.

Everyone should play them as Todd intended, on Xbox.
As an increasing portion of Xbox Game Pass games are playable under Windows (via the ultra-crappy Microsoft App Store, and a couple via Steam), it's not the PC players that get shafted here.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1837 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:16 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 25 September 2020 - 10:19 AM, said:

His first draft probably added: "Except for Mac users. They can go f*** themselves." :-)

But iOS users, feel free to use Xbox streaming!

Apple: yeahhhh, about that....

#11 Atticus

Atticus

Not Wearing Pants

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:00 AM

Game Pass is awesome for PC gamers. I love it.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#12 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:39 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 25 September 2020 - 03:33 PM, said:

As an increasing portion of Xbox Game Pass games are playable under Windows (via the ultra-crappy Microsoft App Store, and a couple via Steam), it's not the PC players that get shafted here.

Proprietary App Store that requires windows 10?  Sounds to me that microsofts disparate after failing to deliver after two previous bland/ mediocre console generations.

Don't mean to sound like a broken record but I call this a disparate power grab looking at the mainly boring library of 360 and Xbone respectively. Both of those consoles got nothing on the Unreal Championships, Jet Set Radio Futures, Phantom Dusts, and Otogi tier games that are currently exclusive to the original xbox.

I'm better off with a playstation 5 not only with playing one Demon Souls, after a Sekiro, after a Ghost of Tsushima. Played with a playstation 4 before, but missed out on not purchasing one for myself, so I have a backlog of titles I need to play aside from the uncharted 4 type of games.

View PostAtticus, on 26 September 2020 - 08:00 AM, said:

Game Pass is awesome for PC gamers. I love it.

And punishes Linux gamers outside of the windows 10 ecosystem in the process. When Microsoft is being fear driven. Don't Linux users call that embrace, extend, and extinguish? And Bethesda having one buggy fallout game after another. Not looking good.
What is a man?

#13 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2362 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:15 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 25 September 2020 - 03:33 PM, said:

I mean all I ever hear people complaining that Morrowind won't run on this and I can't get Fallout 3 to stop crashing that. Stick a 20 year old Morrowind disk in an xbox one and it fires right up. But I guess for PC gamers the fun is in the journey not actually in the fun. Whack.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
ChonkOpad (iPad Pro 8,9): A12Z @ 2.49ghz || 6GB RAM || 256GB

#14 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3048 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:32 PM

Proprietary App Store that requires windows 10?

I'm not a huge fan of Microsoft for various reasons, but: they are hardly unique in having a proprietary store; and forcing people to move from Windows 8 to 10 wasn't much of an ask. Win8 was really bad,  some think worse than Windows ME. Win10 was an improvement, and a free upgrade for a while.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#15 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2263 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:07 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 25 September 2020 - 02:29 PM, said:

Eh, they release buggy crap (their first party titles - Skyrim,  Fallout, et al) on all Platforms. I can remember friends playing through Morrowind on Xbox and constantly falling through geometry, crashing, stuttering, quests bugging out.  It may have just fired right up (which Bethesda 1st party titles sometimes wont on PC) but it wasnt really any more playable.  

And as for the "F PC Gamers" thing... well they dont have a choice, now.  

Microsoft has firmly committed to ALL of their first-party Studio Titles being Day-and-Date on WIndows (and a ton of them are even buy-once, play on both platforms, like Gears 5).  

Thats why Halo Infinite is coming to PC (its why Gears 5 was day-and-date when it released).  

Now that Bethesda and its subordinate studios are first-party MS studios.. their games will be coming to Windows.  And Bethesda's subordinate studios are where the real gems lie.  Bethesda's games are crap.  Every one of them has had a dumpster-fire of a launch and many STILL aren't fixed and have to be fixed by fans.  

But their second-tier studios (Machine Games, Arkhane, iD, etc) produce amazing stuff (which largely come to PC anyway, but Arkhane's newest was supposed to be PS5-only, and MS confirmed that because that deal was already in place they will honor it).  

The two new Doom games are amazing, and run amazing on even low spec PCs.  

The DIshonored games are in my top-10 games of the last 15 years (as a single entry for the Franchise).   Prey was amazing.  

The new Wolfenstein series is also better than it has any right to be (Youngblood was so-so, but the first 2 1/2 (The New Order, The Old Blood, and New Colossus) were great.  

So, honestly, im a lot more interested in what this sale stands to do for studios like Machine Games and Arkhane.  They produce primarily single-player experiences that made money, but were on that threshold of "not ENOUGH money" because Bethesda were greedy douchenozzles that they might not have seen Sequels for the Wolfenstein games (which actually looks like its heading for a straight-up Crossover with DOOM, given the events of Youngblood, where alternate realities are FIRMLY established as existing) or Prey or Dishonored (though Dishonored's current story is "done", Arkhane mentioned wanting to do more games set in that world).

Microsoft is a lot less sensitive to "yes it made money but not enough money".  So all in all... this is pretty much only a good thing.

#16 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2263 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:13 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 26 September 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

Win10 was an improvement, and a free upgrade for a while.

Still is, if you dont mind fibbing about being disabled enough to need the better disability options Win 10 has.  Its not like they check or anything.  

And you can also install it for free and use it literally forever without buying a Key.  You just get the watermark, cant "customize" the background or look of the windows, and cant shut off the telemetry stuff (you can tell it to be off when you do the install but if you complete the install without entering a Key it turns it all back on).  

But for the low low price of "free" i dont really think that's that bad.  And Win 10 itself is.. fine.  It works just fine.  There are some idiosyncrasies with where stuff is located (controls, settings, etc) but really the user experience for the average user is not terribly different than MacOS.  You click things, they work.  For daily driving there's no real difference.  

When you get into pro workloads or hobbyist stuff, then sure, there's a mile of difference, but for the average yokel that just wants a box to daily drive and play games?  Windows is fine.  Not amazing.  But fine.

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17664 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 11:41 AM

I concur.  Occasionally windows 10 resets setting or loses them during a major update but it just involves setting them back.  Other than that I, as a new user, could hit the ground running from my knowledge running MacOS.  I still go to my Mac for things that require more security, and I have really grown fond of Macs since my first one in 1988.  I was the proud owner of the Fat Mac 512.  Oh yeah!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3048 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:29 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 02 October 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

I was the proud owner of the Fat Mac 512.  Oh yeah!
As an owner of the 128k model, I was quite jealous of the 512!
I paid $$$ for the Plus upgrade once that was available, and I was stuck with that for many years.

I FINALLY managed to convince my SO that it was time to upgrade when we saw my computer on display in the Smithsonian Museum of American History.
It was literally a museum piece.

www.mindthecube.com

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17664 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:34 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 02 October 2020 - 07:29 PM, said:

As an owner of the 128k model, I was quite jealous of the 512!
I paid $$$ for the Plus upgrade once that was available, and I was stuck with that for many years.

I FINALLY managed to convince my SO that it was time to upgrade when we saw my computer on display in the Smithsonian Museum of American History.
It was literally a museum piece.

The Fat Mac was stolen when some white punks on dope broke into our new house and stole everything with an electrical cord.  Jokes on them, it was a worthless relic that I longed to replace.  I happily replaced it with a Macintosh SE/30.  It was a great little compy that was a lot faster.   It also sported a 40MB harddrive (No more endless disk swapping!!) and used the double sided, double density floppys.  I did a lot of programming on it in Hypercard and introduced myself to Marathon on it.  What a little sweetheart of a Mac.

Posted Image
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat