Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8613 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 July 2020 - 02:21 AM

Highly unexpected.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Homy

Homy

Recharable Bionic Buttocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:09 AM

OMG! Yes!

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3444 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 26 July 2020 - 01:15 PM

I wonder what the minimum system requirements will be? The game stresses my gaming PC pretty hard.
2019 16" MBP: i7 9750H @ 2.6 GHz || Radeon 5500M 4GB || 16 GB DDR4 || 512 GB SSD || macOS Catalina
Desktop PC: R5 3600X || RTX 2080 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#5 Homy

Homy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 26 July 2020 - 01:15 PM, said:

I wonder what the minimum system requirements will be? The game stresses my gaming PC pretty hard.

Minimum system requirements for Mac should be as recommended for pc, i.e. VEGA 56 and i7-4770K, i.e. iMac Pro. :)

#6 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:51 PM

Awesome! They did a good job on the macOS ports before—I'm hoping for the same. Until then, here it is running flawlessly via Proton…

Posted Image
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#7 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:12 AM

These games have been on my wishlist for a long time now. Whenever this latest game in the series is released on the Mac App Store I'll buy all three of them.

#8 Homy

Homy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:20 AM

View Postjos, on 27 July 2020 - 10:12 AM, said:

These games have been on my wishlist for a long time now. Whenever this latest game in the series is released on the Mac App Store I'll buy all three of them.

I bought 2033 Redux and Last Light Redux for €3.74 each on Steam summer sale 2019, so don't wait for MAS. I don't think MAS has such sales. :)

#9 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1837 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:19 AM

Overall, I enjoyed Exodus. You should like it if you liked the previous games, even if it differs a bit from the classic Metro aesthetic.

There are just a few stumbles with one or two bad plot points, and a badly designed boss encounter. The new semi-open world design is fine, even if it (IMO) doesn't really enhance the gameplay. The endgame was also a bit rushed.

I look forward to diving into the DLC once nVidia's 3000 series cards come out, and experiencing the ray tracing. :cool2:

#10 jos

jos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:42 AM

View PostHomy, on 27 July 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

I bought 2033 Redux and Last Light Redux for €3.74 each on Steam summer sale 2019, so don't wait for MAS. I don't think MAS has such sales. :)

I don't care about sales. I just refuse to use Steam, so even if all three games were completely free and they'd cost 50 Dollar/Euro/Pound each on the Mac App Store, I'd still spend a total of 150 whatever-currency-units, instead of getting them for free on Steam. Let's not get into which digital store is better and why, but everyone just has its own preference and I just like the Mac App Store and hate Steam.

#11 Homy

Homy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:04 PM

View Postjos, on 27 July 2020 - 11:42 AM, said:

I don't care about sales. I just refuse to use Steam, so even if all three games were completely free and they'd cost 50 Dollar/Euro/Pound each on the Mac App Store, I'd still spend a total of 150 whatever-currency-units, instead of getting them for free on Steam. Let's not get into which digital store is better and why, but everyone just has its own preference and I just like the Mac App Store and hate Steam.

Haha, that's perfectly fine with me. Just wanted to share my experience on how to save some money. I don't care which store people choose but your hate makes me very curious. Is there any special reason I'm not aware of? I mostly choose the cheapest place and Steam has always had great deals. I have also bought some games from MGS (Macgamestore) but even they gave me Steam keys except for Borderlands GOTY that was downloaded from MAS I think. :)

#12 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Doesn't Tip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:41 PM

I'd definitely buy this one too, if it ever hits the Mac App Store.

#13 jos

jos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:13 AM

View PostHomy, on 27 July 2020 - 12:04 PM, said:

Haha, that's perfectly fine with me. Just wanted to share my experience on how to save some money. I don't care which store people choose but your hate makes me very curious. Is there any special reason I'm not aware of? I mostly choose the cheapest place and Steam has always had great deals. I have also bought some games from MGS (Macgamestore) but even they gave me Steam keys except for Borderlands GOTY that was downloaded from MAS I think. :)

Sorry for the late reply. When I start writing about this subject I can go on for several hours, but I'll try to keep it (somewhat) short this time.

First of all it's because they're the ones who introduced intrusive DRM to gaming. It all started with their release of Half Life 2 where you suddenly had to connect to the internet and activate your copy before you were allowed to play their game. When the game was finally released there were so many people who wanted to activate their game and the servers just couldn't handle it. Many people had their computer running for several days and they were still waiting in line to activate the game. The funny thing is that pirates had already broken the DRM a couple of days before the release of the game. Some pirates had already finished the game while those who bought the game were waiting for several days before the game was finally activated. This is just ridiculous and I've always said I'd never use Steam or buy a game that uses Steam or a similar kind of DRM and until today I've kept this promise. Even if games are completely free on Steam I still refuse to install it and I'd rather pay 50 Dollar/Euro/Pound for the same game on the Mac App Store or GOG.

Second, I don't want to install additional software just to play a game. Back in the Windows days games already wanted you to install all kinds of additional stuff, like GameSpy. Why do I have to install this? I'm not interested in playing games online. I only want to play the single-player campaign, so don't force me to install GameSpy. Nowadays it's complete storefronts that have to be installed. There's Steam, but then there are also other publishers that force you to install their own storefront: Epic, Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft. When I want to buy just one single game from all of these publishers I don't want to install their stores just to play this one particular game. The Mac has a built-in store, so just release your games there, so I don't have to install additional software and end up with five different storefronts installed on my Mac. If you don't want to release on the Mac App Store, then at least release your games on GOG, as they are reasonable enough to make Galaxy optional and just have you buy and install their games without the need for additional installs.

Third, it's ugly and looks completely out-of-place. In my opinion developers should try to make their apps look as if they were developed by Apple themselves and came pre-installed. If you're developing for the Mac then follow Apple's guidelines and have your app look just like the apps that were developed by Apple. Steam just looks terrible and completely out-of-place. It doesn't even come close to looking like a real Mac app. It almost looks as if you're running a Windows app in WINE.

#14 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:21 PM

Speaking of DRM, I'm wondering what title off of MAS works without being tied to your MAS account :huh:
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#15 Homy

Homy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:07 PM

View Postjos, on 05 August 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

Sorry for the late reply. When I start writing about this subject I can go on for several hours, but I'll try to keep it (somewhat) short this time.

First of all it's because they're the ones who introduced intrusive DRM to gaming. It all started with their release of Half Life 2 where you suddenly had to connect to the internet and activate your copy before you were allowed to play their game. When the game was finally released there were so many people who wanted to activate their game and the servers just couldn't handle it. Many people had their computer running for several days and they were still waiting in line to activate the game. The funny thing is that pirates had already broken the DRM a couple of days before the release of the game. Some pirates had already finished the game while those who bought the game were waiting for several days before the game was finally activated. This is just ridiculous and I've always said I'd never use Steam or buy a game that uses Steam or a similar kind of DRM and until today I've kept this promise. Even if games are completely free on Steam I still refuse to install it and I'd rather pay 50 Dollar/Euro/Pound for the same game on the Mac App Store or GOG.

Second, I don't want to install additional software just to play a game. Back in the Windows days games already wanted you to install all kinds of additional stuff, like GameSpy. Why do I have to install this? I'm not interested in playing games online. I only want to play the single-player campaign, so don't force me to install GameSpy. Nowadays it's complete storefronts that have to be installed. There's Steam, but then there are also other publishers that force you to install their own storefront: Epic, Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft. When I want to buy just one single game from all of these publishers I don't want to install their stores just to play this one particular game. The Mac has a built-in store, so just release your games there, so I don't have to install additional software and end up with five different storefronts installed on my Mac. If you don't want to release on the Mac App Store, then at least release your games on GOG, as they are reasonable enough to make Galaxy optional and just have you buy and install their games without the need for additional installs.

Third, it's ugly and looks completely out-of-place. In my opinion developers should try to make their apps look as if they were developed by Apple themselves and came pre-installed. If you're developing for the Mac then follow Apple's guidelines and have your app look just like the apps that were developed by Apple. Steam just looks terrible and completely out-of-place. It doesn't even come close to looking like a real Mac app. It almost looks as if you're running a Windows app in WINE.

I understand. I used to buy CD/DVD copies for $50 and sell them when I was done so the idea of not being able to sell my digital copies felt awkward in the beginning but I wanted to play Half-Life 1-2 so it started then. Even having to install and start another app felt different but then I discovered how much money I can save through Steam and digital copies. To save hundreds of dollars is a lot for a casual gamer like me. So now I don't mind a couple of extra clicks to start the games. The app is installed once and you can even play offline without internet access and authentication if you want just like MAS actually.

I don't use the app for much else. I'm not involved in the communities or have a habit of collecting items and achievements. I don't like the dark theme of the app and the site. It makes reading difficult for my eyes but I don't care when you can save big money. Nowadays when you want to use different services online you have to use electronic ID that requires starting an app and logging in so Steam is not much different from that. It has become a natural part of my everyday digital life. For me what matters most is the game experience itself and how much it costs. :)

#16 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:38 AM

I won't try to convince you how great Steam is IMHO (besides sales), since you've been holding a grudge against them for 16 years (Half-Life 2 release): now that's long term resentment!  :w00t: But I think that was only growing pains: I use Steam almost every day, and except from time to time (like twice a year when winter and summer sales start, and the occasional hiccup) the service runs well.

First of all it's because they're the ones who introduced intrusive DRM to gaming.
That's only an unfortunate side effect of introducing, or maybe only popularizing, digital sales, which was the real revolution. Except GOG, no distributor has no DRM, including Apple, as pointed out by UmarOMC1; and here's a 2015 example of MAS DRM going very wrong, so it's not only Valve who can make mistakes!

Second, I don't want to install additional software just to play a game. [...] There's Steam, but then there are also other publishers that force you to install their own storefront: Epic, Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft.
And Rockstar and Bethesda. Unfortunately that's the way it has become, and it would be too simplistic to say it's all because of Steam.

If you don't want to release on the Mac App Store, then at least release your games on GOG, as they are reasonable enough to make Galaxy optional and just have you buy and install their games without the need for additional installs.
But since GOG doesn't use DRM, the catalog is small compared to Steam. You can't win on both fronts.

#17 Homy

Homy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 02:07 PM

Now I'm even happier to have my games on Steam. Every game using Epic's Unreal engine can disappear from MAS: https://www.macrumor...unts-august-28/

#18 galad

galad

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 02:21 PM

No, that's not how it works.
Every developer has got its own certificates. The only things that could disappear is Epic own softwares signed with Epic certificates. But I don't think they have any on the Mac App Store.

#19 Homy

Homy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 03:42 PM

View Postgalad, on 17 August 2020 - 02:21 PM, said:

No, that's not how it works.
Every developer has got its own certificates. The only things that could disappear is Epic own softwares signed with Epic certificates. But I don't think they have any on the Mac App Store.

Okay, good to hear.

#20 jeannot

jeannot

Taunting a Second Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 11:55 PM

The Mac depot doesn't appear to be more than a placeholder at this time. There is no file.
I wouldn't hold my breath yet.

EDIT: who gave me this avatar picture? I didn't choose it. :huh: