#1 D-Pure

D-Pure

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:10 PM

Hi there,

I'm wondering if there is an OS X patch available for the original Rainbow Six, as I have a craving for the nostalgia of the game.  If there isn't a patch, can it be played through classic environment? Or would it be too slow?  

Thanks,
Derek

#2 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:11 PM

Unfortunatly, no. Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield is out for OS X though. Check Aspyr.
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#3 D-Pure

D-Pure

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the quick reply

Raven Shield looks quite good, but unfortunately until I get my Powerbook I probaby cannot run it, as my computer is heaps old (iMac DV 400 w/ the good ol' Rage 128 pro)

Thanks,
Derek

#4 Khral

Khral

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:32 PM

To me Raven Shield and the older Rainbow Six series of games feel like different games. The idea behind it is the same, but the gameplay style is definitely different. Anyone who has played the two knows this is true.

Personally, I find Rogue Spear more enjoyable than Raven Shield. It ran beautifully all the time with maxed out settings and the maps were more interesting, varied, and dimensional. In addition, although Raven Shield's recoil system is more realistic, I just found it to be extremely annoying at times--some of the weapons actually have exaggerated recoil when compared to their real counterparts, such as the M16A2. It's also much harder to spot opponents in Raven Shield than in Rogue Spear, making multiplayer games nothing short of a camper's dream.

Yes, I know Rogue Spear's graphics are dated when compared to today's games, but I still think they're quite acceptable. The texture quality is still pretty good, and there's the regular array of weapon and environmental effects that add to the realism. These two games, when compared, offer an example of how graphics doesn't always make the game better. And oddly enough, I actually find Rogue Spear's psuedo-ragdoll physics system to be far more superior than the overdone body physics found in Raven Shield.

It's unfortunate that the old Rainbow Six series of games is no longer being sold and that nobody has any interest in porting them over to OS X. Some say it's playable under Classic, while others say performance is horrific. Either way it seems the demand to return these games to OS X seems to be considerably high when compared to other old school Mac games. As much as I doubt that anything will be done to make us Rogue Spear fans happy again, I still dream that someday I'll be able to enjoy the good old days.