One thing that prevents you from using MacGameStore?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

If you don't use MacGameStore... what is the top reason why not? Don't be shy. Speak yer mind!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:13 PM

a) Backlog. b) Like having everything in Steam.

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:41 PM

Could you explain "Backlog" a bit more? Could have many meanings.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:51 PM

I've already bought so many games I have no time to play them. I have a Mac, PC, 3DS, PS3 and PS4 and basically already have enough games to last me till the end of my physical life.

But sometimes I'll still buy things on offer because maybe I'll play them later (I tell myself, although it's mostly a lie).

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:59 PM

Ha! Ohhhhhh BACKLOG .... yes .... I know that feeling.

-Fm [1oM7]

#6 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

Namely, my gaming interests. I tend to stick with grand strategy titles, such as Paradox and Sid Meier's-esque games. I'm sure many in the catalog are fun games, but... . Those I do purchase, I tend to look at MGS first, then Steam.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:41 PM

Right now I'm using Mac Game Store to notify me if the Steam titles I've started bookmarking ever go on sale.  I'm trying to build a backlog basically.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:43 PM

I put off trying MGS for a long time simply because I didn't want another login and place to manage games to be perfectly honest. That isn't a decision I agree with anymore for more reasons than matter to list here and that are just my own views about a bunch of things. So recently I tried MGS on a sale as you might recall and was very happy with the experience, the way the client worked, etc. I will buy from MGS again because of this.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#9 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:52 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 10 September 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

Like most people, making my gaming dollars go as far as possible is a big deal and so a lot of times whoever has a good sale with something I want is likely to be where I choose to get it.

Regarding DirtyHarry50's comment, would a price matching policy prove beneficial for MGS? Say, Steam has a title for $5 less than MGS, does MGS have the freedom to match that price? I'm no "engineer," but I imagine some coding would need to be done to create a validation feature.

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:15 AM

Bring
Back
Boxes

:teehee:

I have a good number of games from MGS, boxed games from back in the day, download games from back in the PPC day. Personally I was kind of turned off by the client (thought it is well designed) just because I didn't want another client running on my computer. I tend to look at MGS for steam keys now more than anything, but that's the only reason I use Green Man Gaming either, steam keys.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#11 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3814 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:18 AM

I buy everything from MGS. The 0,5$ I save per game on Steam is nothing I care about and Newell has enough money already, and the MGS client is WAY better than Steam. Still room for improvement for the MGS client, but hey, Steam sets the bottom line by far. Speaking of which, Frigidman are you also coding the Mac client?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:12 AM

View Postdojoboy, on 10 September 2015 - 08:52 PM, said:

Regarding DirtyHarry50's comment, would a price matching policy prove beneficial for MGS? Say, Steam has a title for $5 less than MGS, does MGS have the freedom to match that price? I'm no "engineer," but I imagine some coding would need to be done to create a validation feature.

The biggest problem with that, is trying to automate it. Keeping an eye on thousands of games and their prices is daunting for a human to do. It is a nice idea, and MGS does have the freedom to do so for most publishers due to the agreement. However some publishers have custom agreements in place which prevent price matching their same products on other stores.

MGS does try to keep the base prices the same though. Its hard matching sales, and those are mostly always exclusive setup by the publisher for each store in a rotational manner.

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 11 September 2015 - 06:18 AM, said:

I buy everything from MGS. The 0,5$ I save per game on Steam is nothing I care about and Newell has enough money already, and the MGS client is WAY better than Steam. Still room for improvement for the MGS client, but hey, Steam sets the bottom line by far. Speaking of which, Frigidman are you also coding the Mac client?

Phil Sulak codes the Mac Client. You may recognize his name from Westlake days :)

I do everything related to the server side, web side, API's, tools... (except actually maintaining the server core code... stuff like apache updates, kernal, sql, n such).

-Fm [1oM7]

#13 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:58 AM

Backlog of unplayed games mostly. So, totally not your fault. Unless you've invented a way to add eight hours to every day of the rest of my life and haven't shared it with me.  In which case, it is totally your fault.

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

View PostTibur, on 11 September 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

Backlog of unplayed games mostly. So, totally not your fault. Unless you've invented a way to add eight hours to every day of the rest of my life and haven't shared it with me.  In which case, it is totally your fault.

It is totally your fault Tibur.  Quit your job as that is a HUGE time sink, doing so will free up your 8 hours plus your commute and prep times.  It's not like a thing that needs to be invented and passed on to you, it's common damn horse sense boy.  Take me for instance, early on (about 3 lives ago) I had a species change to cat so I could lay around the house all day and complain when the chow was served late.  I have used this time to gainfully game my paws raw.  You need to set your priorities in life son, if you don't, nobody will... except your wife, but that's what basements and locked doors are for.

So don't give us any excuses, not with Korean bladders exploding in the night sky like fireworks and the Red Chinese breathing their stinking commie breath down our necks in Starcraft and WoW.  You need to accept responsibility in life even if that means living in a hollow log with your computer and pirated electricity.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3814 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 11 September 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

Phil Sulak codes the Mac Client. You may recognize his name from Westlake days :)

I do everything related to the server side, web side, API's, tools... (except actually maintaining the server core code... stuff like apache updates, kernal, sql, n such).
Unfortunately no. I was too young back then, to really remember any names.

Okay. I'll write support through the client then instead of bugging you!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

Oh, I just thought of something else that prevents me from using the MacGameStore.

Money, specifically the lack thereof. :unsure:
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#17 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 11 September 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

I remember Phil's name; I used to beta test for Westlake. I forget if I tested anything Phil himself ported.

I still have a Westlake t-shirt too.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#18 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:05 AM

On a side note:

How do I change the MGS app resolution? On my MB Air, the lower half extends beyond the screen, so I cannot readjust it w/ my mouse. Other option is to go fullscreen, but that's for barbarians.

#19 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

Do you have one of those rare 13" Airs? I think there is a known issue with that since the resolution is so tiny. However I thought it was fixed, by allowing one to drag up the bottom... but I guess if the bottom is off the screen, you cannot grab the resize widget huh.

-Fm [1oM7]

#20 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

No. 11-inch, but my wife is happy with it!  :rotfl: