What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1908 replies to this topic

#1881 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2785 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:02 PM

I played Asylum and City on Mac, both very good. When I got a free (after rebate) XBox 360 I played Arkham Origins too. Origins is a lot like City, but it had been a few years so I was happy to play it.

It's a pity Arkham Kinght had so many problems (leading to the Mac port being cancelled). I was looking forward to it.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#1882 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4335 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:19 PM

I played all those batmans, and honestly I cannot tell you which one was better or what did what or was about, because they all seemed exactly the same to me.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#1883 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4131 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:40 AM

Finished up yesterday, 5/5 score from me. My only but was that you didnt exactly go head to head in fighting with the main boss.

My SO came in and told me she was going to bed at 11pm, and I replied I would be there shortly, as the game had just finished. ...She came back again at 12:30am to ask when I was comming to bed. I had only meant to pick up a FEW collectibles after finishing! “A few” turned into ~75, and now I only lack the final 2, and then I will call the game finished. No interest in the challenges so far. Are they good though?

Edit: My only real issue with the game is that I played through everything with Detective Mode on, so I lost out on a lot of the nice atmosphere, which I think is a real pity. But with the color palette used, it would be way too easy to miss all the things I needed to interact with otherwise. Did they do something different for the following games?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1884 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4335 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:03 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 15 August 2019 - 02:40 AM, said:

Finished up yesterday, 5/5 score from me. My only but was that you didnt exactly go head to head in fighting with the main boss.

My SO came in and told me she was going to bed at 11pm, and I replied I would be there shortly, as the game had just finished. ...She came back again at 12:30am to ask when I was comming to bed. I had only meant to pick up a FEW collectibles after finishing! “A few” turned into ~75, and now I only lack the final 2, and then I will call the game finished. No interest in the challenges so far. Are they good though?

Edit: My only real issue with the game is that I played through everything with Detective Mode on, so I lost out on a lot of the nice atmosphere, which I think is a real pity. But with the color palette used, it would be way too easy to miss all the things I needed to interact with otherwise. Did they do something different for the following games?

Right, games that have a mode that makes things easier to find things, tend to then suffer from 'tunnel vision'. Much like games that put a minimap in the corner showing 'everything' on it... one begins to just play the game staring at the minimap and never really seeing the beauty that could otherwise be right in front of you.

As for the challenges... I found them sadistic and annoying. Some were so downright painful because of how 'controls' worked (or were wishywashy) on some things. Like, trying to fly a batarang through a obstacle course, when the mouse control response was popsnizzle at best.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#1885 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4131 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:53 AM

Thanks, I will skip them then. Have plenty other games to play. :)

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1886 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4335 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:48 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 16 August 2019 - 01:53 AM, said:

Thanks, I will skip them then. Have plenty other games to play. :)

They are good when you have a hankering for a "Beat em up" game though, so keep them in mind. I found a couple years between made them less annoying ;) They were basically my 'fix' for wanting more games like Sleeping Dogs.

-Fm [1oM7]

#1887 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1543 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

Trying to hit my 32-bit bucket list. Just finished Doom 3 again, working on BioShock Infinite
macOS 10.14.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

#1888 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2785 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:48 AM

Cities Skyline: i finally have the horsepower to play this. it's really well done. There are some side effects, like the death waves that follow 5-7 years after an influx of new residents, that are not obvious, making the game unintentionally harder. Plus traffic management is absolutely key yet fixing the continual problems gets tedious. So I'm not sure how long I'll play. It's been many hours already though.

I only have one mod installed so far but I think it's a must-have: it lets you drop into first-person view and follow a vehicle or person around. The game looks good enough up close that I have to wonder if Paradox had originally intended to include a first-person camera themselves.

Next game will be something more linear, but I'm not sure what yet.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#1889 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4131 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:51 AM

Shooting around in Borderlands 2, just because I felt like doing a bit of FPS. I have never played any of the DLC so fired up the Hammerlock one. So far it seems pretty uninspirering.

#1890 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2264 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:47 PM

you picked the worst DLC to start with. At best it's uninteresting, at worst it's rage inducing with invulnerable tornado enemies.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#1891 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4131 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:17 PM

Ah, so they were invulnerable. I thought i was missing. I am playing in TVHM at lvl42 so fortunately it is sort of a breeze.

But yeah, whoever designed this one had no idea what they were doing.

#1892 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2264 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

THEY ARE BASICALLY IMMUNE TO PHASELOCK TOO! Like talk about rage inducing.

it will drop them out of deathnado so it's not completely useless but you can't hold them like a normal enemy.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#1893 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2785 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:29 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 26 August 2019 - 08:48 AM, said:

Next game will be something more linear, but I'm not sure what yet.

Ironically, I played "Everything" next. Got it in a bundle, decided to try it after seeing the trippy trailer.

You start off exploring a small area (for me the game randomly picked a zebra in a desert) and you just walk/roll/slide around, observing, experimenting, and unlocking abilities and audio clips of philosopher Alan Watts.

I found some of Watts' observations a little weird, but often interesting. The game itself is ambitious, occasionally surprising, even moved me once or twice. It helps to be in a patient and curious mood.

After a few evenings I'm pretty much done, though I've by no means seen everything. Tip: if you stop controlling it, the game starts making random moves without you. It's fun to watch.
www.mindthecube.com

#1894 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4131 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:38 AM

Deleted Borderlands 2, what a time waster. Next up will be Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse.

#1895 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4131 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:10 AM

So, Broken Sword 5 it is. Currently 21% through it and liking it as I expected (Since the first two games were quite enjoyable, and I dig adventure games).

Plot is just starting to develop, so not much to tell about there. Murder mystery, art stolen, Paris, frenchmen, etc. Basic adventure gameplay, so far not with the most delicate puzzles unfortunately. Mostly click here, then there, and then use this on that. But what I can say, that this is by far the most gorgeous looking adventure game I've ever played. The crisp hand painted backgrounds with fantastic cell shaded 3D models on top, looks amazing! It really draws you in! Oh, and the voice work is also excellent.

#1896 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2785 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for reminding me about Broken Sword 5. It's been on my drive for a year or two. Your mini-review has made it much more likely I'll actually get around to it.

I recently started Rise of the Tomb Raider so that will keep me busy for a while.
www.mindthecube.com

#1897 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1640 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:34 PM

I played through BS5 when it came out. (I had backed it). It was...fine. I don't remember the story very well but I remember the endgame seeming a bit dumb. But if you liked the prior games you'll like it too.

Now, I am much more excited for Charles Cecil's Beneath a Steel Sky sequel. Though it looks like it's deviating a bit from the original and I'm worried they're turning it into a walking sim.

#1898 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4335 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:42 PM

I'm going to try and jam in as much ubisoft games as I can during the free trial period of their all-access subscription plan. After the free trial I will cancel... because I can honestly not see why I would pay $15/mo for *just* ubisoft games.... like... wat.

-Fm [1oM7]

#1899 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4131 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:51 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 09 September 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

I'm going to try and jam in as much ubisoft games as I can during the free trial period of their all-access subscription plan. After the free trial I will cancel... because I can honestly not see why I would pay $15/mo for *just* ubisoft games.... like... wat.
Because you clearly enjoy them?

#1900 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:29 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 09 September 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

After the free trial I will cancel... because I can honestly not see why I would pay $15/mo for *just* ubisoft games.... like... wat.

I find game subscriptions to be even worse than the Epic store, and that's no small feat. Ubisoft, Microsoft, Origin subscriptions: no way!