315 replies to this topic

#281 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:58 AM

Aspyr haven't responded to my ticket from the last month either (off topic, it's Black Ops 3). I mentioned it in their Discord, someone asked me for the ticket number… never heard from them again.
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT

macOS 10.15.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#282 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4415 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:02 AM

View Postipickert55, on 05 March 2020 - 06:42 PM, said:

So this is sort of unrelated to this thread, but... whatever.

I've been having problems with the Mac version of Kotor since December. I've made two tickets with Aspyr and they haven't responded to either, and they just closed the first one after a month with zero communication. So, hopefully that means they're too busy to deal with my popsnizzle.

A recent correspondence with them resulted in the gleaned attitude of "all old games are unsupported"... as in, they do not want to support them, offer them, handle them, or anything to do with them. Not for prior buyers. If they have a game currently being sold, its the only thing they are supporting.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#283 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8556 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 06 March 2020 - 01:09 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 06 March 2020 - 10:02 AM, said:

A recent correspondence with them resulted in the gleaned attitude of "all old games are unsupported"... as in, they do not want to support them, offer them, handle them, or anything to do with them. Not for prior buyers. If they have a game currently being sold, its the only thing they are supporting.
KotOR is still being sold.

Oh, wait. The Mac version isn't. When did that happen? Didn't KotOR even receive a 64-bit update?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#284 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Steam Name:Ionized Revan
  • Steam ID:IonizedRevan

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:52 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 06 March 2020 - 01:09 PM, said:

KotOR is still being sold.

Oh, wait. The Mac version isn't. When did that happen? Didn't KotOR even receive a 64-bit update?

It was being sold on the Mac App store last time I checked, and it did receive that 64 bit update.

#285 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8556 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:23 AM

View Postipickert55, on 06 March 2020 - 07:52 PM, said:

It was being sold on the Mac App store last time I checked,...
That's what I thought, too. But a search on the MAS only comes up with KotOR 2. And the link on Aspyr's website to the MAS version gets redirected to an App Store page stating that this app is only available for iPhone and iPad.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#286 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:29 AM

That's strange. I'm pretty sure I saw it only just last week while I was browsing the Mac App Store. I was even surprised to see it there, as Aspyr is now only selling 64-bit games and it’s an old game that I didn't expect to get the 64-bit treatment.

#287 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 11:58 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 07 March 2020 - 01:23 AM, said:

But a search on the MAS only comes up with KotOR 2. And the link on Aspyr's website to the MAS version gets redirected to an App Store page stating that this app is only available for iPhone and iPad.

Searching Kotor on MAS results in both kotor and kotor 2 for me, but maybe because I purchased it there. It does show updated for 64-bit 7mo ago in version 1.4. The link on Aspyr's page still only goes to ios only.

#288 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:41 AM

I wonder why no one ever ported the later/last WOLFENSTEIN series.
iMac 27" Late 2012 3,4Ghz i7 NT 680MX
Macbook Air Late 2010 320M
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#289 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8556 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:49 AM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 08 March 2020 - 01:41 AM, said:

I wonder why no one ever ported the later/last WOLFENSTEIN series.
Bethesda doesn't care about Mac at all.

#290 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 02:01 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 08 March 2020 - 01:49 AM, said:

Or linux, for that matter. I find it baffling that id coded their engine in Vulkan, yet no idTech 6 game has been ported to linux. Granted, these games runs well with Wine.

#291 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 08:05 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 06 March 2020 - 10:02 AM, said:

Also late response to this, assuming thats true, they couldve literally written a one sentence response explaining that, but they havent.

#292 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:06 AM

The INtel-Switch killed native macgaming. (on the long run)
iMac 27" Late 2012 3,4Ghz i7 NT 680MX
Macbook Air Late 2010 320M
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#293 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4312 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 10 March 2020 - 03:10 AM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 10 March 2020 - 12:06 AM, said:

The INtel-Switch killed native macgaming. (on the long run)
Wut? You clearly weren't here before we went Intel.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#294 jos

jos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:18 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 08 March 2020 - 01:49 AM, said:

Exactly. id Software has always been knows for their support of Mac and Linux. All of the Wolfenstein games, Doom games, Quake games and even Rage and (although not developed by id Software themselves) Prey were all released for the Mac and Linux. That's up until Rage. After that none of their games have been released for the Mac nor Linux. All of the new Wolfenstein games, the new Doom, the new Rage, the new Prey. Support for other operating systems than Windows was completely dropped. It's such a shame, because these are my favourite games. I've always loved id Software's first-person shooters. It's just ridiculous they're now part of a company who doesn't care at all about Mac or Linux.

View Postipickert55, on 09 March 2020 - 08:05 PM, said:

Also late response to this, assuming thats true, they couldve literally written a one sentence response explaining that, but they havent.

Exactly. This is something I don't understand. In my experience most companies think reply at all is better than a reply with negative news. When they have to tell someone "No, you're out of luck." most of the time they just don't even bother answering. In my opinion it's just ridiculous and absolutely not-done to not answer someone. No matter how good or bad the reply might be, companies should always answer. I'd rather get a reply telling me "No, screw you, loser." than no reply at all. This way at least I've got an answer to my question.

Aspyr and Feral are actually perfect examples of two companies that are completely at the opposite site of the spectrum. Aspyr has never answered me or even shown any sign of still being alive. No matter what way you use to contact them, no matter the subject you're contacting them about, it all doesn't matter. It's as if all incoming communication is being redirected straight to Trash and no-one ever sees it. Contact Feral by email, on social media or whatever about any subject you want and within a few hours you'll get a reply. Even if they've got to tell you: "No, that's not going to happen. This game is too old and unknown to still put resources into porting it to the Mac." It doesn't matter if they've got to bring you bad news. They will answer. To me that's really important. As a company you've got a reputation to keep up and answering emails and messages is in my opinion very important.

#295 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:22 PM

View Postjos, on 10 March 2020 - 10:18 AM, said:

Exactly. This is something I don't understand. In my experience most companies think reply at all is better than a reply with negative news. When they have to tell someone "No, you're out of luck." most of the time they just don't even bother answering. In my opinion it's just ridiculous and absolutely not-done to not answer someone. No matter how good or bad the reply might be, companies should always answer. I'd rather get a reply telling me "No, screw you, loser." than no reply at all. This way at least I've got an answer to my question.

Aspyr and Feral are actually perfect examples of two companies that are completely at the opposite site of the spectrum. Aspyr has never answered me or even shown any sign of still being alive. No matter what way you use to contact them, no matter the subject you're contacting them about, it all doesn't matter. It's as if all incoming communication is being redirected straight to Trash and no-one ever sees it. Contact Feral by email, on social media or whatever about any subject you want and within a few hours you'll get a reply. Even if they've got to tell you: "No, that's not going to happen. This game is too old and unknown to still put resources into porting it to the Mac." It doesn't matter if they've got to bring you bad news. They will answer. To me that's really important. As a company you've got a reputation to keep up and answering emails and messages is in my opinion very important.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Feral support, even when they can't really do anything to help me like you said. They're awesome.

I guess Aspyr is just one of the cool mobile/pc publishers now so they don't have time for their OG mac friends anymore. (Sarcasm).

#296 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1782 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:38 PM

I've had nothing but good experiences with Aspyr too, but that was all at least a few years ago. Clearly, something changed. I wouldn't be surprised if they're simply trying to stay afloat. But they keep publishing things...

#297 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:21 PM

View PostCougar, on 10 March 2020 - 06:38 PM, said:

I've had nothing but good experiences with Aspyr too, but that was all at least a few years ago. Clearly, something changed. I wouldn't be surprised if they're simply trying to stay afloat. But they keep publishing things...

The things they publish do well too, at least critically.

#298 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:33 PM

View PostSpike, on 07 March 2020 - 11:58 AM, said:

Searching Kotor on MAS results in both kotor and kotor 2 for me, but maybe because I purchased it there. It does show updated for 64-bit 7mo ago in version 1.4. The link on Aspyr's page still only goes to ios only.

Both KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 show up in the Mac App Store on 10.15.3 for me here. I haven't purchased it, but both are for sale. Maybe they removed it from the store for earlier versions of Mac OS when they updated it to be 64-bit?

#299 jos

jos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 09:48 AM

View Postozzy, on 16 March 2020 - 02:33 PM, said:

Both KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 show up in the Mac App Store on 10.15.3 for me here. I haven't purchased it, but both are for sale. Maybe they removed it from the store for earlier versions of Mac OS when they updated it to be 64-bit?

I just decided to check it. I don't know why it doesn't show up for Janichsan, but for me it still shows up in the Mac App Store on 10.14.6.

#300 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 06:38 PM

View Postjos, on 17 March 2020 - 09:48 AM, said:

I just decided to check it. I don't know why it doesn't show up for Janichsan, but for me it still shows up in the Mac App Store on 10.14.6.

I'm on 10.12.4 and both show up too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Aspyr