#21 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:16 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 13 September 2021 - 05:22 AM, said:

Not at all. It was about Q getting kicked out of the continuum and losing his powers, and needing protection from some other race that he'd pissed off. (And learning lessons of course.) So your idea is quite different.

It was a great episode. My one gripe is that it gave the impression that the majority of the Continuum shared the Federation's values and took an active role in policing themselves. That seemed to me to be a shift from the original idea of the Continuum, but I'm no expert on what's canon.

It wasnt that they shared the Federations’ values, so much as “even the Q have limits”.  They let JDQ get up to all SORTS of terrible mischief and only drew the line when he started maliciously destroying species out of pique… and even then, all they wanted out of him to let him back in was a sign that he was capable, some day, of growing past that.  He still got up to terrible mischief after that, just not AS bad (i mean, he did basically almost destroy DS9 by dint of him having allowed Vash to live on planets that she could never have visited and bring back something that was enormously dangerous).

#22 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1948 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 September 2021 - 05:55 PM

I've only seen bits & pieces of Voyager (& DS9, etc.). That messed up Continuum stuff sounds interesting. Anyone know off hand which particular episode(s) are relevant? I think I have access on a streaming service. I'm down for watching just those episodes. Star Trek isn't the same for me anymore; I don't like some of the style components now.

JDQ makes me think of Scrubs.

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#23 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:51 PM

View PostBernie, on 13 September 2021 - 05:55 PM, said:

I've only seen bits & pieces of Voyager (& DS9, etc.). That messed up Continuum stuff sounds interesting. Anyone know off hand which particular episode(s) are relevant? I think I have access on a streaming service. I'm down for watching just those episodes. Star Trek isn't the same for me anymore; I don't like some of the style components now.

JDQ makes me think of Scrubs.

Um, you can likely look up the names on Memory Alpha.  

Just search for Q, and itll list the episodes he was in.  

If you liked TNG, Voyager (and DS9, though DS9 took on a bit of darker tone later on) should be fine.  They were all of the same era (and ran concurrently, largely.  DS9 overlapped TNGs last two seasons, and Voyager overlapped 3 or 4 of DS9s seasons) and of similar style visually.  

DS9 is easily the best of the three, however, with probably 7 out of my top 10 Trek episodes.  

In The Pale Moonlight is probably the best episode of Trek ever produced (Followed extremely closely by Chain of Command (two parter) and The Wounded from TNG - which also, not coincidentally, star the Cardassians in very complex roles).  

Far Beyond the Stars (DS9) is also EXTREMELY good, though it is largely separated from the rest of the show (or is it?).  

Its worth watching DS9 all the way through.  There are part-time/recurring characters with more depth than main characters from the other two shows.  (Andrew Robinson as Garak steals every single scene he is in;  [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8j6z8fQ_c&ab_channel=Nippashish[/media]).  

Voyager.... is hit and miss.  It started off strong-ish (you have to ignore a small plot hole called a "timer" so you can consceience why they stayed in the Delta Quadrant to begin with), with the first season being pretty decent... But then there was a writers strike and Season 2 and the early part of Season 3 were really, really bad.  (And some of the Season 1 eps were... not great).  It really picked up after that, though, especially when they ditched some of the plot points that didnt make sense ("we are short on supplies" went out the window sometime around Season 3 because it didnt add much to the stories and didnt make sense given the tech available to a Federation Starship).  

It got really good and much more TNG-like around the middle of Season 4 (Year of Hell; two parter, was really good) and as they finally re-established intermittent communication with Starfleet.  

It ended... weird... but it was still a good show in the end.  

Enterprise... i can write a treatise on why that show (and its entire cast, all of which were great actors) should NOT have been a prequen but taken place after Voyager and it would have been FAR better for it (and most of the actual stories could have stayed almost completely unchanged).  It didnt work as a prequel, which is a real shame, since Scott Bakula did a great job as the captain, and the ships Doctor (Phlox) was an amazing character.  

Anyway, that rather long-winded screed aside..

Check Memory Alpha:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Q

Its got a decent overview and itll link to the eps in question.

#24 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1948 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:03 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 13 September 2021 - 06:51 PM, said:

Um, you can likely look up the names on Memory Alpha...[snip]
Thank you for all the info. That is what I was actually looking for but didn't ask for out loud. I love good food for thought. Thanks.

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.