#81 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17752 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 September 2020 - 04:01 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 08 September 2020 - 11:03 AM, said:

The prequels are so much better than the last three movies.

Fight me.

I shant fight you brother.  When Dizzy took the reins the franchise took a nose dive and refused to pull up.  I blame gremlins, obviously they ejected the tail assembly.  When they killed off Luke and Hans Star Wars bit through it's cyanide tooth.  RIP Star Wars, oh how I loved thee.  Saw the first one in the theater sitting in the first row because there were no more seats and it was world changing for me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#82 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3262 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:53 AM

Disagree. I thought AoftC had some good moments, and RotS had a brave story for a Star Wars movie. But both of them also had bad dialog and stupid plot points.

I think Lucas was a much better "pantser" than "plotter". Or as G R R Martin might say, a better gardener than architect. See: https://www.wired.co...rs-vs-pantsers/
That's why the first movie stands up so amazingly well, and its possible he might have done a good job with the #7 and 8 if he hadn't sold them.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#83 Atticus

Atticus

Not Wearing Pants

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:46 AM

Watching Clone Wars series on Disney+ gave me a better appreciation for what Lucas was trying to do with the prequels. I think the problem was that it was such a huge story of politics/intrigue/war/empire building and destroying, that packing it all into three movies while keeping the Anakin storyline moving forward was nigh on impossible.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#84 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:45 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 08 September 2020 - 04:01 PM, said:

I shant fight you brother.  When Dizzy took the reins the franchise took a nose dive and refused to pull up.  I blame gremlins, obviously they ejected the tail assembly.  When they killed off Luke and Hans Star Wars bit through it's cyanide tooth.  RIP Star Wars, oh how I loved thee.  Saw the first one in the theater sitting in the first row because there were no more seats and it was world changing for me.

To be fair, Rogue One was solid.  But it also deliberately tried to fit in as a direct prequel to Ep. 4 and match the vibe of the Orig. Trilogy.  

Solo would have beena fine Scifi action adventure if it had simply not been Star Wars.  If theyd just changed the names, and made it a generic sci-fi movie, it would have been a B+.  As a Star Wars movie, though, it was a solid C-

The rest, though..ugh.  Trash.  Just.. Trash.  Ive read better fanfic.  Hell, if theyd just produced the (now Non-canon) original Thrawn Trilogy and not thrown away the expanded universe on a whim....  too late, though.  Though i hear The Mandalorian is great... but i attribute that to it (like Rogue One) deliberately paying homage to the Orig. Trilogy and its style (amd John Favreau).

#85 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 28 December 2020 - 08:54 AM

There's a new hope: George Lucas Reportedly Wants To Make His Original Sequel Trilogy

As fans will know, Lucas already had outlines for his own versions of Episodes VII, VIII and IX, which he ended up handing over to Disney when he sold up and made himself a few billion dollars richer for his troubles, but now he’s reportedly getting the itch to become more hands-on again and make his abandoned concepts a reality since the Mouse House didn’t wind up using them. To be clear, these films wouldn’t retcon or erase the Sequel Trilogy from existence, they would just be a new, separate trilogy set in that galaxy far, far away and based on George’s original ideas that Disney scrapped.
Despite planning to walk away from Star Wars entirely, the noted plaid enthusiast has been slowly becoming more and more involved again, frequently showing up on the set of The Mandalorian and essentially acting as the franchise’s Don Corleone to mentor the new generation.
A new trilogy hailing from Lucas himself would certainly generate huge buzz, but for now this remains nothing more than something he’s been discussing with the studio and thinking about, with no firm confirmation that it will ever happen.

"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#86 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3262 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:01 AM

Just my opinion here, but there is not a lot of evidence that Lucas knows how to make compelling new Star Wars content. The prequels were hit or miss, as was his endless tinkering with the original trilogy.

I think this is just him wanted to tinker again. I doubt anything will come of it. But I'd be mildly curious what story is in his mind. Is Luke and Co in it? Some of his itch may be coming from the urge to play with hot new CGI tech.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#87 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8716 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 December 2020 - 11:12 AM

Don't let Lucas near the writing of the actual script and the director's chair, and the result might turn out fine. However, the few tidbits we got from his exposés for the sequel trilogy sounded stupid as hell.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#88 Atticus

Atticus

Not Wearing Pants

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 04:37 PM

Lucas selling rights to Disney for billions and then becoming director for sequels somehow doesn't seem like it would fly at Mouse HQ, for various business (and other) reasons. If I were a Disney exec and learned Lucas was hanging around the sets, making suggestions, I would be annoyed AF and probably ban him before he started to really meddle.

Bottom line--get rid of Lucas, Abrams, and Kennedy for good and give the keys to the SW kingdom to Filoni, ffs. If you don't believe me, watch the Disney+ episode of the making of Mandalorian series where  Filoni breaks down the fight (from Phantom Menace) between Qui Gon, Obi, and Maul and what it means for Anakin's future. Filoni gets SW and is a great storyteller.

I can only imagine how much a better job he could have done with the sequels story arc.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#89 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:45 AM

I am the necromancer.

My opinions about Star Wars have changed pretty rapidly these past couple of years. I think I look back on the TLJ more fondly than I used to, in a good idea bad execution kinda way. TFA isn't really fun to watch anymore knowing how the saga ends, and TROS is how it ends and it is bad. I'm thankful that the mandalorian turned out to be a pretty decent show, but I gotta say that Disney did something I didn't think could be done and killed my love for this franchise, or maybe I've just moved on from it naturally, idk. I will still always like the games (the kotor games are the best thing to come out of Star Wars) and some of the legends stuff and clone wars show etc., but it definitely just feels weaker now. I think I'm starting to see the point of view of people who said that TLJ is what Star Wars needed to kickstart something new, though I don't think it was that "new", because after Ep 9. (and the mandalorian to some extent), it really does feel like the franchise is static, and that's a shame.

#90 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:12 AM

The franchise needs some interesting new characters/stories to make it fresh again. They have 12 star wars projects in production currently that span quite the range of different Star Wars lore/locations/characters. "The Acolyte" is the one that I am most interested in. It is set 200 years prior to the prequels during the height of the Jedi.

I think the refusal to give up the Skywalker plot line is what is hampering Star Wars currently. Frustrates me when every movie has to be directly tied back to the Skywalkers somehow. There are so many amazing stories, locations, etc. in Star Wars and they seemed convinced on only dealing with a handful. Imagine how good a trilogy on Revan could be.
16" MBP: i9 9880H @ 2.3 GHz || Radeon 5500M 8GB || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB SSD
Desktop: 5600X || RTX 3070 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Series X || PS5 || iPhone 12

#91 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 12:51 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 27 April 2021 - 08:12 AM, said:

The franchise needs some interesting new characters/stories to make it fresh again. They have 12 star wars projects in production currently that span quite the range of different Star Wars lore/locations/characters. "The Acolyte" is the one that I am most interested in. It is set 200 years prior to the prequels during the height of the Jedi.

I think the refusal to give up the Skywalker plot line is what is hampering Star Wars currently. Frustrates me when every movie has to be directly tied back to the Skywalkers somehow. There are so many amazing stories, locations, etc. in Star Wars and they seemed convinced on only dealing with a handful. Imagine how good a trilogy on Revan could be.

Completely agreed, I really hope those new projects take some risks and turn out to be interesting.

#92 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:15 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 27 April 2021 - 08:12 AM, said:

They could also have just produced  Zahn’s original Thrawn trilogy instead of the trash that was the new trilogy, to round out the Skywalker saga, and called it a day and moved on to other stories set in that universe.  The original Rogue Squadron novels would have made a great TV show.  Etc.  Mandalorian would have fit just fine in the pre-Disney canon with almost no modifications.  Etc, etc.

#93 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • 4570 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:10 AM

I hope they do a Star Trek like timeline split, dumps the entire Abrams trilogy, pretends nothing happens with the Skywalkers after the fall of the empire, and create a new timeline with actual good scripts.

#94 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:26 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 27 April 2021 - 08:15 PM, said:

They could also have just produced  Zahn's original Thrawn trilogy instead of the trash that was the new trilogy, to round out the Skywalker saga, and called it a day and moved on to other stories set in that universe.  The original Rogue Squadron novels would have made a great TV show.  Etc.  Mandalorian would have fit just fine in the pre-Disney canon with almost no modifications.  Etc, etc.

They did name drop Admiral Thrawn near the end of the last season of Mandolorian. Hopefully that means more to come on that subject.
16" MBP: i9 9880H @ 2.3 GHz || Radeon 5500M 8GB || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB SSD
Desktop: 5600X || RTX 3070 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Series X || PS5 || iPhone 12

#95 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8716 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:16 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 28 April 2021 - 07:26 AM, said:

They did name drop Admiral Thrawn near the end of the last season of Mandolorian. Hopefully that means more to come on that subject.
Thrawn already was in the Rebels animated show, which also explains why Ahsoka is chasing him.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#96 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:38 PM

Yes that's probably going to be another show, of Ashoka chasing thrawn and probably featuring some of the rebels cast.

#97 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • 4570 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:28 PM

Oh god I hope so.