Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

That never happens with native games though.... or anything apart from the WINE builds from WINEHQ. Perhaps everyone else applies workarounds? They don't tend to have rendering errors that WINE exhibit either.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#22 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 09 October 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

That never happens with native games though.... or anything apart from the WINE builds from WINEHQ. Perhaps everyone else applies workarounds? They don't tend to have rendering errors that WINE exhibit either.
most of it comes with how DirectX handles things differently than OpenGL... making translation a bit harder and the GPU much more important...  when coding direct OpenGL without any extra layers (including X11) its not as big of a deal.  I'm sure Wine could come up with a hacky fix that still works like the old one... but still fixes graphics issues... but I don't think anyone with the proper know-how cares about it enough to even look at it.  When Crossover finally starts using Wine builds for Crossover Mac that have the hack out... then it might be more important to them, but they are still 1.4 based.

#23 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

View Postdoh123, on 09 October 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

I never said anything about how acceptable it can run... just that it will be faster than the AMD.  If Apple fixed their drivers some it wouldn't be a problem.  When Wine is trying to use it, the wrong info gets passed around because the drivers basically lie about capabilities, and it gets knocked back to software rendering on OS X's side, not Wine's.
That reminds me, when trying to run Crysis 2, a warning popped up stating that I was attempting to run the program on an unrecognized GPU: Radeon HD 58xx, followed by useless hex values. Silly me, I tried installing AMD's Win XP 32-bit drivers on a whim which rendered me a black screen. :cool:
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#24 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

View Postdoh123, on 09 October 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

most of it comes with how DirectX handles things differently than OpenGL... making translation a bit harder and the GPU much more important...  when coding direct OpenGL without any extra layers (including X11) its not as big of a deal.  I'm sure Wine could come up with a hacky fix that still works like the old one... but still fixes graphics issues... but I don't think anyone with the proper know-how cares about it enough to even look at it.  When Crossover finally starts using Wine builds for Crossover Mac that have the hack out... then it might be more important to them, but they are still 1.4 based.

Yeah, except porting studios also have to deal with Direct3D to OpenGL conversion when porting Windows games made from the ground up for Direct3D to the Mac and have their own libraries for doing that work. Even their work is hit or miss when it comes to performance but again generally speaking doesn't have the same issues that WINE without that speedhack has... but again maybe they have their own speedhacks. Hardly anyone totally rewrites game's rendering engines from the ground up for OpenGL when porting to the Mac... even Valve.

In fact I noticed games that are written from the ground up OpenGL such as Doom 3 tend to be a lot faster than most games Feral ports for example... and it's been demonstrated that sometimes WINE wrapped games are faster and use less VRAM.

View PostUmarOMC1, on 09 October 2012 - 08:44 PM, said:

That reminds me, when trying to run Crysis 2, a warning popped up stating that I was attempting to run the program on an unrecognized GPU: Radeon HD 58xx, followed by useless hex values. Silly me, I tried installing AMD's Win XP 32-bit drivers on a whim which rendered me a black screen. :cool:

You attempted to install AMD display drivers in a wrapper? Yeah.. bad idea. That's not how WINE works. I'm surprised the driver installer even let you.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#25 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:22 AM

I gave up on WINE... and Mac-only gaming. I Boot-camped my Mac, installed Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 (along with the DirectX 11 tesselation pack and HiRes textures pack). I can't believe its the same computer! I maxed the graphics and those games play smoothly!

...albeit the Windows™®© landscape is as soulless as ever. *sigh*
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WINE, WINEskin, crossover, wrappers