#41 surge1

surge1

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:22 AM

I have a macpro 2.8 octo core.

I bought it because I do pro audio in logic. But its a VERY VERY nice feature to be able to run PC games on it.

#42 Bartleby

Bartleby

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:24 AM

Almost there, I think. The big question now: SLI or not? Is shelling out for the second card, motherboard, power supply, etc. worth it? I've never used SLI before, so I don't really have much of an idea of how much of a performance boost it gives. Suggestions from those of you more GPU-literate than I?

Also, a couple of minor things:

1. CPU heatsink. I'm assuming that this comes with its own thermal compound or whatever space age variant it'll need. Am I correct in this, or will I need to pick up a tube of gray goop at the same time?

2. Cables. The various and sundry parts generally come with whatever cables I'll need. What about, say, a power cable for the case? It would be just my luck to get everything, put it together, and then be unable to turn it on for the lack of a power cable.   ;)

EDIT: CPU heatsink, not GPU. I kin speel gudd.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. -- Mark Twain

#43 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:51 AM

View PostBartleby, on January 29th 2008, 12:24 PM, said:

Almost there, I think. The big question now: SLI or not? Is shelling out for the second card, motherboard, power supply, etc. worth it? I've never used SLI before, so I don't really have much of an idea of how much of a performance boost it gives. Suggestions from those of you more GPU-literate than I?

SLI/Crossfire currently gives up to about 50% boost over a single card, as far as I've seen. It can be worth if for some folks, but it doesn't double your speed. I've seen some people pick up two cheaper cards like the 3850 when they're on sale, for performance approaching a single faster card with a bit of savings. Overall, I'd say it's better to go for one faster card, especially as driver support for multiple cards remains flaky. At this point in time, I'd go for the 8800GT, and if I saw some great deal on one in the future, might pick up a second (of course, by this ill-determined future point, there's usually a new batch of faster cards out).

Also, a couple of minor things:

1. GPU heatsink. I'm assuming that this comes with its own thermal compound or whatever space age variant it'll need. Am I correct in this, or will I need to pick up a tube of gray goop at the same time?
If you're just buying a card, the heatsink will come installed. If you're buying a new heatsink for quieting or overclocking the card, then it will come with some thermal paste. Some folks choose to pick up a "higher performance" thermal paste like Arctic Silver, but that's up to you.

2. Cables. The various and sundry parts generally come with whatever cables I'll need. What about, say, a power cable for the case? It would be just my luck to get everything, put it together, and then be unable to turn it on for the lack of a power cable.   ;)

Generally, you'll get everything you need for a basic install. Motherboards come with a couple of SATA and IDE cables for HDs and optical drives. Power supplies usually come with a power cable.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#44 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

I wouldn't say that SLI/Crossfire gives you a 50% performance boost.  It totally depends on the drivers, the game, and your motherboard.  Sometimes you'll see a 50% improvement, and sometimes the game won't be a bit faster.  In some rare cases, it'll actually be slower:

Posted Image
What?!  A ~19% performance penalty?

Posted Image
Twice the price buys you a ~9% performance improvement, thanks to Crossfire.

Rule of thumb: opt for a single fast card rather than two cheap cards.  And stay the heck away from Crossfire. ;)
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#45 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:38 PM

Well, that's why I said "up to 50%", but you're right. And it is better to stick with a single faster card.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#46 Bartleby

Bartleby

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:32 PM

One last thing: is there somewhere on NewEgg where I can find dimensions for power supplies? Someone mentioned that the power supply I was looking at didn't fit in the case I was looking at (in the PSU comments). Could be user error, but I'd prefer to check. Better that than to install the thing and then realize I can't shut the case.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. -- Mark Twain

#47 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

View PostBartleby, on January 29th 2008, 03:32 PM, said:

One last thing: is there somewhere on NewEgg where I can find dimensions for power supplies? Someone mentioned that the power supply I was looking at didn't fit in the case I was looking at (in the PSU comments). Could be user error, but I'd prefer to check. Better that than to install the thing and then realize I can't shut the case.
The ATX ones should fit in the standard ATX case power supply spot. Similarly with mATX and pATX PSUs and cases. If it doesn't say one of those, it might be some other random/SFF size, or one of the mentioned ones. Most are ATX.