27 replies to this topic

#1 waam

waam

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 07:26 PM

To tell you all the truth, Everquest Mac's got a much better community.  Been on Whisperwind and Proudmore for over a week now, and I gotta tell you all, I'm going back to Al'Kabor.

#2 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:19 PM

bye

#3 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:08 PM

unless you can somehow be more specific, i dont really think anyone is going to pay much attention to your dissatisfaction.  

list some examples or some such

#4 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:35 AM

I've had the opposite experience playing characters in WoW on two different servers.

On Sargeras, I've met a wonderful guild that shares my exact playing style, which takes a relaxed, "enjoy the scenery and the ride approach". My guildmates all speak in full sentences and we share resources really well.

On Frostwolf, I am in the Resevoir Dogcows guild which is primarily made up of Mac users. It is a much larger guild but people are still friendly, cordial and help eachother out.

I've been surprised, for the most part, that the general community outside my guilds have been conversational and fun to play with. It is easy to meet people and form small groups to finish a specific quest. It generally feels to me that the average age of a player is at least 17 or 18.

For teh most part, WoW brings people together more than any other game i've ever played. Quests are often geared so you need a mate, the extensive economy and trading system makes you dependent on other people, and the physical geography, while big and various, also has this nack for creating bottlenecks and natural meeting points.

overall, its been a great two or three weeks in my gaming portfolio!

#5 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:48 AM

To tell you all the truth, Everquest Mac's got a much better community.  Been on Whisperwind and Proudmore for over a week now, and I gotta tell you all, I'm going back to Al'Kabor.

I play on both of those servers frequently and it's been great.  I can group pretty much whenever I want.  I've met some pretty cool people.  But it probably helps that I know people outside of WoW who play on those servers.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#6 Shane

Shane

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:18 AM

i too play on sargeras on alliance
my characters are

archelon level 25 elf warrior skinner/leather
darklon level 20 human warlock tailor/enchanter
ashelane level 14 human rogue skinner/leather

#7 waam

waam

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 02:09 PM

your rite.... me sorry.

i guess it's just that I'm spoiled, and I'm used to the fact that everybody that i used tp play with had Macs.  I don't know if there was any added comraderie.... well - yes, there was added comraderie in that.

on Al'Kabor we all lived the drama of what happened on our server.  Sure there was only one server, but that's what made it great.  in WoW, i have friends i would love to play with, but they are on as many as 5 different servers... i dont know anybody in real life to play with.

WoW is a prettier game no doubt about that in a long shot... i just happened to want to go back to EQ.

Here is a wish list for me in WoW (some may already be there that i am not aware of):

1.  whisper or send mail accross servers.
2.  more selectable characters (i cry because of lack of options)
3.  the game is too easy, you will see a lv. 60 soon.
4.  people jumping server whenever they want, can't establish any long running relationships.
5.  need to cap servers with less players. you lose the adventure and scenic mystery when there are players littered accross the landscape.  over population kills.

#8 TalonComics

TalonComics

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:13 AM

Please don't take this as a diss but I honestly thought Mac Everquest was pretty much dead and that WoW would be the last nail in the coffin for it. Since you still play it isn't it pretty much a ghost town now?

As for WoW I play on Silver Hand which is a role-playing server. Many of the complaints I see about annoying people rarely ever occur on a RP server just because the people there want role play as their number one priority. As for a higher annoying person ratio on WoW it's pretty much expected considering everyone and their dog is playing it instead of what amounts to less than 1% of the Mac users playing Mac EQ.

Call me bitter but Blizzard has shown me why the Sony "supported" Mac EQ is a total and utter joke.

~D

#9 Macster

Macster

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:21 AM

Well I just logged on to the game yesterday, first I was not impressed the log in server was down and registration took place over an internet browser as opposed through an ingame application (I am on a peecee sadly and I detest using my browser to register anything specially if it has my cc# )

But the moment I did log in got a party invite to join a guild that was just forming. The leader walked me through the beggining points of the game and I got my first quest done with their help (^o^)/ so that was a pleasant first impression. This was followed by a massive and improptu emote orgy in the center of town that had me laughing SOOOOO HARD I was in pain for a good 5 minutes afterwards.

Everyone that was there then formed up and went off to do various things for quests and crafting.

So my first 2 actually in game were very fun. I cant wait to play some more ^^

The only gripe I have is that the look of the game is not keen on me, I dont like it. I've been playing FFXI for months now on the PC and the look of that game feels right to me, WoW while different so far has not impressed me on the visuals department all that much. But the game sure is fun. I recall I had to learn everything alone on FFXI or had to ask JP players for help as NA players were not friendly at first..at all...

As soon as I find out what server I landed on I will look up a Mac Guild! Hope to see some of you there ^^

#10 Prometheus

Prometheus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 12:25 PM

bye
?

Anyway...now i am even more happy that i did not buy WoW.
I <3 RJ

#11 |420| Harm

|420| Harm

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:05 PM

your distaste stems from all yalls inabilities to pick one common Mac WoW server...everyone is split up and hard to find...

Only a few select Mac Guilds and cool people knew that the servers for Macs was:  

Alliance PvE Central: Whisperwind
Horde PvP West: Frostwolf

#12 littleredxj

littleredxj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:29 PM

I got in a guild back in closed beta and we selected a server for release day so the first day I logged in, I left the general chat channel and never looked back.  All I get is guild chat and that is enough for me.  Only time I ever join the general channel is when I need to do a party quest and no one in my guild is availible to help out.  The community can be a bit on the young side.  Quickest way to get added to my ignore list is to /yell for something.

Anyway, its all about who you surround yourself with ingame.  Oh FWI the undead race tends to draw the most kids.  I'm not saying that every UD is a kid but thats just my experience.

#13 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:54 PM

bye
?

As are those who did buy it ;)

#14 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:38 PM

bye
Should I have begged him to stay with WoW? There are what, 500,000 copies of WoW out there now? I can assure you the community is both better and worse than he experienced and i represented with my post.

Why anyone would try to compare the sense of community between half a million WoWers with 1% of that playing EQ1-Mac is beyond me. The original poster needs to get in a guild if he wants community in WoW. With the huge number of people playing WoW, complaining that he's not a special part of a warm and fuzzy group is ludicrisp (to quote OJ) and worthy of a "bye" for certain.

But y'all come on back and play a horde character on Deathwing, i promise i won't PK you until you're at least level 20. >:)

#15 Joe M.

Joe M.

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:55 PM

I have to agree with those who loathe WoW. This damned game has sapped all but 10 minutes of my online time the past couple days. Not only do I have to pay $13/month for World of Warcraft, but I'm going to have to pay someone to answer my email. Damn you, Blizzard. Damn you!

#16 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 03:47 AM

Just tell people to send to your WoW email account...

#17 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:56 AM

Just tell people to send to your WoW email account...
:D
"darn it, Stardust forgot to attach the stack of 10 medium leather with his WoWmail!"

That's a pretty cool feature in the game. Even lets you send some of the loot you find to your own alts so they don't have to scrape along with crap gear.

#18 clichekiller

clichekiller

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 11:30 PM

I've been hooked since the stress test.  This game is great.  And part of what makes the game great is the community.  Just a few minutes ago I finished an elite quest with a bunch of people I'd never met before.  We all were in the same region, I requested and was invited into their group.  They even went back over parts they'd already done so I could catch up.  

Free Buffs are common.  Walk of a boat get slapped with a dozen buffs before I can go 10 feet.

Ask a question on the general channel and you'll have half a dozen answers.  Not all the same of course, but generally helpful.  

My guild is even more helpful.  We're constantly emailing items to each other and organizing swapmeets, where resources are shared.  This is what I always imagined a MMORPG to be and finally got in WOW.

#19 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:14 AM

Sounds like a lot more fun than my recent EQ Mac experience, where I was usually the only person playing in the area.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#20 skumancer

skumancer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 02:20 PM

Once you go WoW...you can NEVER EVER go back...thats been my experience. I haven't really played games this year (too much school and work) but WoW has changed everything. Now I stay up to 3AM playing. Yesterday I played for over 5 hours.

-Skumancer