134 replies to this topic

#61 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:48 PM

My machine is a Dual 1 GHz MDD with a little bit less RAM than you have. And while there are slowdowns, it doesn't seem that bad.

I'm only just starting it myself (1.47 GHz G4, 768M RAM, Radeon 9000 Pro 64Megs), and it runs okay. Interestingly, it ran much more smoothly when I couldn't get sound to work :)

So, if the sound is in another thread, maybe you Dual folks are getting a good boost.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#62 noxes

noxes

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:30 PM

The slow down I am at right now, is I hit the foward key, nothing happens, so I hold it down for a couple of seconds, then a couple of seconds I have moved like 300 feet.  Maybe I got a rotten card, or maybe the a single processor is the problem.  Seems like people on PB get better FPS then me.

#63 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 12:16 AM

OK, I thought that I was in the undercity before. I was just in the lower city, now I'm in the undercity...

The slowdown is much worse in the undercity that it had been before. It is still playable, but it is getting less so...

Bummer.

OK, who is running this game on a G4 with a better video card than a Radeon 9000? Give us some more feedback.

Matt

#64 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 October 2004 - 01:59 AM

OK, I thought that I was in the undercity before. I was just in the lower city, now I'm in the undercity...

The slowdown is much worse in the undercity that it had been before. It is still playable, but it is getting less so...

Bummer.

OK, who is running this game on a G4 with a better video card than a Radeon 9000? Give us some more feedback.

Matt

I've played the entire game with a dual 1.2 G4 and a Radeon 9800 Pro.  Ran fine.  There were still some parts where framerates dropped a bit, but for the most part very playable.  I think my bus speed came into play.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#65 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 08:48 AM

I've played the entire game with a dual 1.2 G4 and a Radeon 9800 Pro.  Ran fine.  There were still some parts where framerates dropped a bit, but for the most part very playable.  I think my bus speed came into play.

I just got to a point where the game has gotten unplayable on my Dual G4 w/Radeon 9000, so I think that I'll be holding off on this game until I upgrade my video card. It is good to know that the game is playable with a g4 w/a good video card. Heck, until I played KotOR, I thought that the 9000 was a good card.

Thanks,
Matt

#66 JasonX

JasonX

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 09:32 AM

Just got it last night. I'm playing it on a 17" PowerBook. 1 gig processor. 1 gig RAM. GeForce4 MX. OSX 10.3.4

So far at the lower res settings, it runs very well. At the higher settings, it slows down a bit, but looks much better. To me it's worth playing at the higher setting to see the better visuals. I haven't had any any choppiness or freezing up, but I only played it a couple hours, so it might get get bad later.

#67 JasonX

JasonX

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 09:35 AM

BTW, how does a GeForce4 MX card compare to the Radeon cards?

#68 noxes

noxes

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 09:41 AM

Damn, now I have to go out and get a new vid card.  I thought the 9000 Pro would handle this game.  Guess not.  Anybody know what kind of card I should be looking for for my 1.25 GHz SP MDD, and where to buy it.

#69 awedgamer

awedgamer

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:12 AM

I've done some digging online and it looks like the 1 gig 17" Powerbooks had a GeForce 440 Go card, not a 4MX like the one in my iMac. I've heard the 4MX is a poor card for KOTOR - does anyone know if the 440 Go is significantly different than the 4MX as regards KOTOR?

#70 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:59 AM

I was always under the impression that the 440 Go chipset was essentially the mobile version of the 4MX chipset.  I never looked up any factual evidence though.

#71 JasonX

JasonX

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:21 AM

I've done some digging online and it looks like the 1 gig 17" Powerbooks had a GeForce 440 Go card, not a 4MX like the one in my iMac. I've heard the 4MX is a poor card for KOTOR - does anyone know if the 440 Go is significantly different than the 4MX as regards KOTOR?

I have a 1 gig 17" PowerBook at work now and it says 4MX under about this computer.

#72 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:22 AM

I'm not quite yet to this Sewers/Radeon 9000 breaker section you folks are talking about, but I hope I can get by. Performance has been, if not stellar, completely playable so far.

#73 JasonX

JasonX

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:24 AM

But I've also been told that about this computer often tells you that you have different RAM than what's installed - PC 100 rather than PC 133 - so maybe it's wrong about the card too.

#74 awedgamer

awedgamer

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 12:16 PM

huh. All I know is what I  read in everymac.com, but if the 4MX and whichever-Go cards are much the same, maybe they show up as such in the system profiler. all of which bodes well for me buying KOTOR!

I'll be happy with smooth-but-not-pretty gameplay in a game where I just make the system requirements.

#75 noxes

noxes

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 01:23 PM

I'll be happy with smooth-but-not-pretty gameplay in a game where I just make the system requirements.

I know what you mean, that is what I was hoping for, I beat the system requirments, so the game should run smooth, all be it on the lowest setting but it does not.

#76 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:08 PM

While you beat the minimum reqs, you don't beat them by much (by today's standards).  And just the technical restraints with the R200 class chips and vertex shaders has a lot to do with it.  I'm not sure the extra 250Mhz in your CPU can make up the difference in having to use software vertex programs.  But the game is an RPG, so you don't necessarily need "smooth" framerates.  But I did play through some of the undercity and sewers with a Radeon 9200 in my Quicksilver.  I can feel your pain.

#77 SiX.Punisher

SiX.Punisher

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:04 PM

I have a G5 Single 1.8 with 3.5GB RAM, 9800 Pro MSE 256MB Card and I get slow downs in the sewers and cantinas. Although I am running at 1024 X 768 with setting turned up 4x Antialiasing and 8X Anisotropic Filtering. Still though the requirements are steep.
Punisher's War Journal 2005

#78 nspeds

nspeds

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 10:22 AM

The game was quite slow on the lowest settings when I first used it, but when I increased the settings to the maximum level, performance seemed to increase!

Right now, I'm getting minor "jaggedness" when playing and I am currently walking around the Lower City Cantina.

I am running the game on a PowerBook 17", 1Ghz, 512, GeForce4MX 64mb.

#79 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:01 AM

The slow down I am at right now, is I hit the foward key, nothing happens, so I hold it down for a couple of seconds, then a couple of seconds I have moved like 300 feet.  Maybe I got a rotten card, or maybe the a single processor is the problem.  Seems like people on PB get better FPS then me.

This particular weirdness happened to me in the Undercity, but nowhere else. Often, my main character's model would get "stuck" in the running pose -- standing stock still. I found that switching to another party member tended to reset this annoying behaviour.

I bulled on through that one level, and everything has been smooth sailing since. So don't despair, Radeon 9000 users! Perhaps, rather than being poor performance exactly, this is bugginess in the software renderer. I could overcome it w/o too much trouble; I hope you folks can, too.

#80 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:55 AM

Perhaps, rather than being poor performance exactly, this is bugginess in the software renderer.

No, it's poor performance, and it's directly related to your framerate.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com