#21 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3295 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:12 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 29 June 2020 - 12:15 AM, said:

You should also know that macOS doesn't appear to fully support UW screens. It has gotten a tad better with Big Sur, but we are still not there yet. They are useable though.
Specifics (or a link)? What problems should I expect?
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 11.6/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#22 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4596 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:01 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 29 June 2020 - 07:12 AM, said:

Specifics (or a link)? What problems should I expect?
It appears that prior to Big Sur, macOS doesn't do pixel-doubling on high resolution UW monitors. This appears to have been fixed in Big Sur, but it doesn't seem to support HDR at those sizes though. At least, that is what I've been able to find out through Macrumors discussions.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#23 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:03 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 29 June 2020 - 01:39 AM, said:

Speaking of doing that - Is a GPU then only doing the 2560x1440 calculations, or is it doing processing based on the full 3440x1440 resolution, and thus running worse than it should?

When the game switches the monitor resolution to 2560x1440, then the GPU only has this amount of work to do.

#24 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3295 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:41 PM

I finally caved and ordered an UW, the LG 34GK950F-B. It's going to take a few weeks to ship though. I'll spend that time getting used to keeping my dock on the bottom, instead of the left (work) or right (home).

Shortly after I placed the order, I realized that my Harmon Kardon SoundSticks will need to stand much further apart so they don't block the screen. Problems, problems.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Everyone was very helpful.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 11.6/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#25 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:24 PM

In just surprised no one noticed and/or made fun of my stuffed animals and F-bomb.

#26 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • 4596 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 02:19 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 01 July 2020 - 06:03 PM, said:

When the game switches the monitor resolution to 2560x1440, then the GPU only has this amount of work to do.
I should have specified that I was thinking about situations where the game runs with black columns on the side, so the monitor is still at its native resolution?

View PostMatt Diamond, on 02 July 2020 - 03:41 PM, said:

I finally caved and ordered an UW, the LG 34GK950F-B. It's going to take a few weeks to ship though. I'll spend that time getting used to keeping my dock on the bottom, instead of the left (work) or right (home).
Lets us know what you think!

View PostTetsuya, on 02 July 2020 - 08:24 PM, said:

In just surprised no one noticed and/or made fun of my stuffed animals and F-bomb.
Some people are into furries, some find chairs sexy. You like stuffed animals. It is okay, we won't pick on you! We're good guys. 8)

#27 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17758 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:26 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 02 July 2020 - 08:24 PM, said:

I missed your stuffed animal reference.  Link me cause I'm old and can't find it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#28 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:14 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 03 July 2020 - 02:19 AM, said:

I should have specified that I was thinking about situations where the game runs with black columns on the side, so the monitor is still at its native resolution?

When I switch my graphics card to 2560x1440, the image is centered and there are black bars on the sides. The image isn't stretched and deformed to fill all pixels. It's 1:1 mapping (desired behaviour in my opinion), but granted maybe not all monitors act this way, and on some that may be a customizable setting. So obviously the card doesn't need to handle more pixels than 2560x1440 in this situation, since it's not the game or OS carving those bars out of the 3440x1440 pixels, but the monitor itself which adapts to the resolution.

#29 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 02:25 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 03 July 2020 - 10:26 AM, said:

I missed your stuffed animal reference.  Link me cause I'm old and can't find it.

its in the pics.  I have a pair of Croconanna's and a crochet'ed F-bomb.

Ill post a pic of the F-bomb later, but you can find Croconanna at Sorbetjungle.com

#30 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17758 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:03 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 03 July 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

its in the pics.  I have a pair of Croconanna's and a crochet'ed F-bomb.

OK, I see them now.  Thanks.  I can't make fun of you, you should see the Cat house.  It's like the Muppet studios here.  It gets worse, they can all talk.

Er, I mean THIS is what the Battle Cat thinks of stuffed animals!

https://cdn.discorda...Cat_Savage..mov

In Starfleet this tactic is called the Pawcat maneuver.  Oh yeah, my cathood is intact again.  That was close!

Ill post a pic of the F-bomb later,

Give a not safe for work warning when you post it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#31 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:28 PM

Nah its SFW

https://photos.app.g...WBB3CxmboYP72ZA

#32 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3295 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:43 PM

LG 34GK950F (ultrawide) arrived yesterday. Here are some first impressions.

Pros:
  • Really nice color and brightness, even at the default "low" brightness setting.
  • Action movies look great, huge step up from my last monitor.
Cons:
  • Paying for some things like HDR and G-Sync that the Mac won't take advantage of, AFAIK. (But I knew that going in.)
  • I wish the 4-way toggle for monitor settings could be customized. Also, I'm worried it will break in a couple years.
  • Seems less bright at the extreme top and bottom? But I'm starting to think it's an optical illusion. I will try to isolate soon.
Disclaimer: Still testing, and haven't read the manual very carefully yet.

Some things I tried:
Streaming movies:
  • The Old Guard (Netflix) looked spectacular. Filled the entire screen, sharp, bright, detailed, no problems with actions, night or high contrast.
  • Last Jedi (Disney+) looked very good. The problems were Disney's fault: mild streaming artifacts, lower resolution with a black frame around it.
Games:
I tried a few games that are known to work well with ultrawide.
  • Overload: worked great, pew pew
  • X-Plane: having a wider a view is really nice in a flight simulator
  • Bioshock Infinite: heartbreaking- the game now crashes while loading any level. Nothing I tried worked. Close to giving up, which is a shame because I suddenly fond myself wanting to play it again.
Also on my list to try: Subnautica, Obduction, Borderlands 3. (BL3 so I can compare FPS to my old 16:9 monitor.)
www.mindthecube.com

#33 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • 4596 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:27 AM

Since my 2011 iMac GPU died, I have been doing all work on my 2016 Macbook with its huge 12" screen. Since it is also so slow, it hasn't been a joyful experience.

So I have decided to buy the cheapest 24"/27" 1440p monitor I can find, for my 2011 Mac Mini, and upgrade it from Plex/wiki server to workstation, until I find a new job and can buy a new up-to-date (ARM?) workstation. It should provide me a marginally better experience for doing work, which is mostly text focused, and then a single scientific manuscript I have to make.

As long as it lives up to my 2011 iMacs screen, I'll be happy, which shouldn't be too hard to achieve, since monitor prices/quality have to have improved since 2011.

#34 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3295 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:30 AM

Ran through many of the monitor tests at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ and the LG UW passed them with flying colors. The white saturation is a tiny bit off: the very last image on the page was not visible. The gradients and color uniformity were stellar.

Something I didn't expect is that using this monitor all day, then gaming on it at night, is fatiguing. Like being blasted by a big movie screen for 10 hours. I may customize one of the presets to be less intense. Also, dark mode seems to help-- I'd never understood why people wanted it before.

Reinstalling Bioshock Infinite onto my boot drive actually fixed the crashes. I had forgotten how strange yet dull the game is early on, but its running well. I have a few more games to try.
www.mindthecube.com

#35 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3295 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 12:01 PM

I've been happy with the LG 34GK950F I bought almost a year ago. But today it suddenly started buzzing, flickering and flashing while I was not even using it. It's unusable. Happens regardless of input source, with or without a signal. I guess we'll see how good their service is.
www.mindthecube.com

#36 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4509 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 24 May 2021 - 12:24 PM

Hopefully its covered in some form or fashion....

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#37 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 24 May 2021 - 12:32 PM

I've heard LG's service is terrible. Good luck.

My 4-year old P2415Q is starting to randomly show split-second glitches on one input, and split-second blackness on the other. Was hoping to hold out for an OLED monitor, but now I don't think I'll be able to.

Will probably get a LG 27GP950, but I really wish it were 24". Really sucks there are no Retina-level gaming monitors on the market.

#38 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 04:26 PM

24" 1440p is " Retina" at normal viewing distances (28" or so).  

There are less 24" 1440p displays out there than there used to be, but they are still out there.

I sit about 30" from my 27" 1440p, and I can't see the individual pixels ( science says ~32").

4K on a 27" display is WAY over " Retina", and there are finally high refresh 4k VRR displays out there, not that even a 3090 will actually reliably hit above 60fps in high end games at 4k.

https://www.displayn...-pixel-density/

#39 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 04:33 PM

Good reviews, solid specs:

https://www.amazon.c...=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Not a terrible price for a 144hz IPS 4k.

#40 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 24 May 2021 - 05:51 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 24 May 2021 - 04:26 PM, said:

24" 1440p is " Retina" at normal viewing distances (28" or so).  

There are less 24" 1440p displays out there than there used to be, but they are still out there.

I sit about 30" from my 27" 1440p, and I can't see the individual pixels ( science says ~32").

4K on a 27" display is WAY over " Retina", and there are finally high refresh 4k VRR displays out there, not that even a 3090 will actually reliably hit above 60fps in high end games at 4k.

https://www.displayn...-pixel-density/

There's a reason Apple chooses 4.5K for 24", 27" 5K, and 28" This way, everything is pixel doubled and scales perfectly. I have a 27" 4K monitor at work and a 24" 4K at home, and I vastly prefer the 24". At work the monitor UI ends up being just a bit too big. If I scale the UI, it's not as crisp.