3 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2593 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

Well this is a huge waste of time, but I've been looking through old IMG news headlines. From the news archive page I pick a month at random and poke around. http://www.insidemac...ews/archive.php

A few fun ones I found from 2002:

April 3, 2002: Myst Miniseries Coming to TV

I can't wait to watch it!

Feb 1, 2002: IMG Interviews Steve Jobs

Nice get! Presumably this was during one of Jobs' infrequent "we like games" moods. Money quote: "When I returned to Apple a few years ago, games were viewed as something which would paint the Mac as a less-than-serious business tool, so game development was discouraged. We feel quite differently, and actively try to nurture our game developers."

Apr 3 2002: IMG Reviews Geneforge

Some outfit called Spiderweb Software, publishing an old school 2D RPG even as 3D video cards were sweeping the market. Really bad timing. Good luck selling that, Jeff Vogel! Don't quit your day job!

Apr 17, 2002: Tuncer is a Dad!

I don't have anything snarky to say about this one.  It just reminded me that my daughter was just a baby back then. Now she's in high school... (sniff) Sorry, I just need a minute...

Okay I'm back. It's also fun to reminded of old games. Freedom Force?! I'd love a modern remake of that.

Surprising number of names in 2002 are still relevant. Bungie and Blizzard of course, but also there's news about USB Overdrive (which I just started using again this week.) Civ III, X-Plane. Feral is mentioned only occasionally, Aspyr is on fire back then, but both are still around today.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4276 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:15 PM

I'm still waiting for that "Myst Miniseries Coming to TV" ....

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1512 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 01 June 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

I'm still waiting for that "Myst Miniseries Coming to TV" ....

There was going to be a Hulu show which was announced a few years ago, but it looks like it fell through because Rand Miller said during one of the recent kickstarter livestreams that it's been "a series of ups and downs," and they had a "down" not too long ago, but things are looking "up" now. Suffice to say, don't hold your breath.

#4 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:48 PM

When I was writing my book I occasionally did the same random old Mac gaming news thing, but not just on IMG. I also did it with the Mac Gamer's Ledge archives. It was a great way to keep myself immersed in the era and to remember the excitement of each little scrap of gaming news that came our way.

You start here: https://web.archive....s/archives.html then pick a random week, like for instance "9/22/97 - 9/30/97".

A few highlights from that week:

September 29: "Bungie lowers Marathon Trilogy price"

The trilogy box set, which includes all three games plus cheats/maps/etc plus Pathways plus old betas AND the Marathon Scrapbook, on sale for just $29 for a limited time! Better hop in your time machines.

September 24: "MacSPORT announces second on-line tournament...for bowlers!"

A virtual bowling tournament! All the fun of bowling minus the uncomfortable shoes. We should bring this back.

September 22: "Harry's out! Ambrosia Software releases its latest shareware game:"

I'm psyched. Time to save the world with a stapler and excellent lumbar support.

"New Mac OS Game Development Company Formed; familar faces abound"

Who could it be? Love the undetected spelling mistake.
Author of The Secret History of Mac Gaming - https://secrethistoryofmacgaming.com/ - out March 22 2018 in the UK and online