• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dac

dac

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1660 posts
  • Location:Deep within the Dac-Cave, under a resplendent mansion in Hertfordshire, England

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:13 PM

Depends.

If you're into RPGs, then Diablo II, Everquest or Shadowbane will probably be your thing.

If you like first-person shooters, then Soldier Of Fortune 2, Medal Of Honor Allied Assault & Spearhead, Return To Castle Wolfenstein - basically anything based on the Quake 3 engine (including Quake 3 itself of course).  And of course Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 and Halo.

Strategy fans tend to be into Warcraft III.

We've also got some decent online titles on the way to Mac, such as World Of Warcraft, Call Of Duty and Command & Conquer Generals.  There's probably a whole bunch of great online games I'm missing out on here - these are just a few off the top of my head.

edit: Nearly forgot about Battlefield 1942, which I personally can't wait for!

#2 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:22 PM

You can't forget Neverwinter Nights when it comes to RPGs, it's just excellent.

And as for RTS, you also have Age of Mythology, Age of Empires II and StarWars: Galactic Battlegrounds, all of them Mac to Mac only though. And off course Myth and Myth II, old, but still the best. I have no Idea weather Warrior Kings is good online or not, but it's a good strategy game as well.

And we'll soon get Worms 3D, and I believe that must be one of the coolest online games ever. Just the thought of Worms, in 3D, online... I can't wait for it to be released! :D

But then I'm an old Worms fan, I've played the original game for years.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#3 ScarY|

ScarY|

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:19 AM

I really like Jedi Academy's MP. but some people say it sucks :S

I love it though.

#4 Pshycorusher91

Pshycorusher91

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:47 PM

u guys are forgetting the best 1st person shooter/ startegy online . . . Americas Army! its free and its awesome!

#5 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 06:51 PM

u guys are forgetting the best 1st person shooter/ startegy online . . . Americas Army! its free and its awesome!

Yeah, but it reeks of conformity with the military-industrial complex, do you really want that?
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#6 halprin

halprin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:09 PM

1 word!  Starcraft!

#7 Gusbenz

Gusbenz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:24 PM

Return to Castle Wolfenstein takes the cake. It's MP is truly one of the best. The class system is amazing as is it's gameplay. It's replay value is extremely high, which is always a good thing. I recommaned this game to anyone who wants a enjoyable, fast paced, action-packed game. Get Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It's only $29.99.

#8 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Steam Name:mayhem_swe

Posted 13 April 2004 - 02:29 AM

You folks are aware the original topic starter has since been banned from these forums and all his posts deleted, right?
Down with the Sickness

#9 Stickboy

Stickboy

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:51 AM

Warrior Kings (an RTS game, if you didn't already know) is an absolute blast online. I reccomend it highly.
--to label yourself is to limit yourself--

#10 Quacker

Quacker

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:21 PM

Yeah, but it reeks of conformity with the military-industrial complex, do you really want that?

Yeah but it is free.

#11 cattle

cattle

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 04:49 PM

world war 2 online!!!!  the graphics are being updated this year and are already looking quite good!

also a ton of the bugs have been fixed that turned away some many people when the game launched.  america's army is great too, and free!

#12 Gafgarion

Gafgarion

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1418 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 05:21 PM

1 word!  Starcraft!

1 word! No.

#13 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 05:37 PM

world war 2 online!!!!  the graphics are being updated this year and are already looking quite good! 

also a ton of the bugs have been fixed that turned away some many people when the game launched.  america's army is great too, and free!

I had to edit away that image of yours, it was huge. Please use links to large images from now on. =)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#14 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 05:53 PM

world war 2 online!!!!  the graphics are being updated this year and are already looking quite good! 

also a ton of the bugs have been fixed that turned away some many people when the game launched.  america's army is great too, and free!

I will admit that WW2 Online is a wonderful game.  Unfortunatley it will soon be eclipsed by BF1942, but there is also nothing like some of the 38 hour battles I had with WW2 Online (Of course these are now impossible with the addition of attrition).  Myself and a few mates held a piddly little Belgian for 38 hours after the enemy line had surrounded us by two CPs on any side.  "I never thought I could shoot down a German Place, but last summer I proved myself wrong!"
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#15 halprin

halprin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:38 PM

1 word!  Starcraft!

1 word! No.
No taste...  :sad:

#16 Gafgarion

Gafgarion

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1418 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:43 PM

1 word!  Starcraft!

1 word! No.

How can one honestly say that Starcraft on Battle.net is an enjoyable experience?
First off, there's the fact that Battle.net is populated with l33t haXor 12 year olds, lags horribly and is overflowing with hacks...
Then you add in the fact that Starcraft is dumbed-dowb RTS popular because of aforementioned 12 year olds. Starcraft is the pinnical of Blizzard's half-hearted attempts at software development and offhand I cannot think of a worse RTS than it.

#17 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 07:05 PM

and offhand I cannot think of a worse RTS than it.

Most WarCraft clones before it, including WarCraft II and WarCraft: Orcs and humans as well. Though I never enjoyed the multiplayer aspect in any Blizzard game before WarCraft III.

***END MESSAGE***

#18 Gafgarion

Gafgarion

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1418 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 07:07 PM

and offhand I cannot think of a worse RTS than it.

Most WarCraft clones before it, including WarCraft II and WarCraft: Orcs and humans as well. Though I never enjoyed the multiplayer aspect in any Blizzard game before WarCraft III.

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft II were better games than StarCraft. Both were less buggy and had better gameplay... although granted, they werent that great either.

#19 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 06:10 AM

1 word!  Starcraft!

1 word! No.

How can one honestly say that Starcraft on Battle.net is an enjoyable experience?
First off, there's the fact that Battle.net is populated with l33t haXor 12 year olds, lags horribly and is overflowing with hacks...
Then you add in the fact that Starcraft is dumbed-dowb RTS popular because of aforementioned 12 year olds. Starcraft is the pinnical of Blizzard's half-hearted attempts at software development and offhand I cannot think of a worse RTS than it.

Wow! That was a bit harsh! I agree it is not a in-depth strategy like Warrior Kings where things like terrain and attacking from height and position matter but it is still a great little game.

About the 12 year olds well.. every good game around has it's own group of 12 year olds. For it's day (and even now) its an enjoyable game. Although I cannot comment on BattleNet as I have not been online for a long time.

I think a company who rewrite a game (on 3 platforms) so it will work in OS X and networking for no charge is not half hearted in their attempts. Whether or not you like the game Blizzards QA process is really good they spend time tweaking the game so it is balanced and every race has it's own skills and issues. Looking from an early beta to a released game often the entire populations and tactics have been altered to give better gameplay. Although this does not mean the games are bug free!  :smile:

Anyway that's just my view on Starcraft :smile:

#20 johnhood

johnhood

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:22 AM

WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne continues to captivate and the online dimension is arguably what you make it!
Blogging since 2004