What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
2002 replies to this topic

#1961 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4419 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:57 AM

My SO is in need of a new machine, as her 2009 MBP died half a year ago. She's currently looking at getting an iPad (Pro?) with the Magic Keyboard, since she has minor requirements.

I haven't been playing anything, but I've been trying to persuade her to get the 12.9" iPad Pro, so I could play Civilization VI on it when she isn't using it. I am so far unsuccessful, and that's the current extent of my gaming at the moment (Other than almost completing Super Mario Odyssey on Switch)
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#1962 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:08 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 29 June 2020 - 11:05 AM, said:

I've been playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein.  Man the graphics have aged poorly, When it was new I was like, "Wow this is amazing".  The one thing that did not age was the game itself, it is an awesome id shooter.  Playing it again is almost dream like, I've been here before but sooooooooo long ago it adds a certain unreal and nostalgic feel to it.

Indeed a fantastic id shooter. Until this day I'm still disappointed Enemy Territory as a full expansion pack was never released and they decided to completely scrap the single-player part and only release the multiplayer part. I don't care at all about multiplayer, but I wanted more of the single-player campaign.

#1963 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3045 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:44 PM

View PostCougar, on 29 June 2020 - 10:50 AM, said:

I always play Deus Ex with minimal augs, including no x-ray vision and no minimap. I find the game more challenging and fun that way. I do use Cloak, though.
That's hardcore. I'm impressed! I rely on both of those to sneak around. Do you use headphones at least?
Also, are you trying to be non-lethal?

I avoid Cloak mostly, because it is a battery hog. But I recently learned that it uses less energy if you stand still, so maybe I'll play with it some more.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#1964 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1837 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:53 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 30 June 2020 - 12:44 PM, said:

That's hardcore. I'm impressed! I rely on both of those to sneak around. Do you use headphones at least?
Also, are you trying to be non-lethal?

Nah, hardcore would be aiming for the "Ghost" achievement, where you don't let yourself get detected. That's too much for me!

No headphones. Now I own a pair of awesome speakers, though, so I'm looking forward to playing Cyberpunk in a similar way. Yes, nonlethal.

I avoid Cloak mostly, because it is a battery hog. But I recently learned that it uses less energy if you stand still, so maybe I'll play with it some more.

I go for the battery upgrades too, and anything that helps me get into secret places, like jump and the thing that lets you break damaged walls.

#1965 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8613 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:56 AM

Still playing The Last of Us Part II. It's a fairly long game, and I'm roughly two thirds in by now. When I'm finished, I will probably clock in about 40 hours.

I ultimately turned down the stealth difficulty specifically, as I was quite annoyed of constantly being detected and every encounter resulting in a firefight…

I think it's a great game. Its story actually does some unusual things and has some smart things to say about violence.

That said, I could absolutely understand if someone would not want to play and/or finish the game, as it's definitely hard to stomach. For one, it's really violent and gory, and not in the fun, over-the-top kind of way. Secondly, it's really grim: every protagonist does some inexcusable things, everyone suffers.

Lastly, if you like dogs and absolutely cannot stand the idea of seeing them hurt, don't play this game. Seriously. :crying:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#1966 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17660 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:21 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 19 July 2020 - 12:56 AM, said:

Lastly, if you like dogs and absolutely cannot stand the idea of seeing them hurt, don't play this game. Seriously. :crying:

SOLD!Posted Image
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#1967 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3045 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:24 PM

Played Bioshock Infinite all the way through again.

Just started Subnautica, which looks *gorgeous* in ultrawide. My mini+Vega can play it (and Bioshock 3) at full resolution.
I turned off hunger and thirst to make it less stressful. I don't think I'm ever going to play it all the way through, but it's certainly good for a few more hours of alien-world scuba exploration.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#1968 nick68k

nick68k

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 516 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:07 AM

I've recently acquired indy retro RPGs Fates of Ort and Children of Morta for cheap. My initial impressions of Ort strongly reminds me of The Faery Tale Adventure (ask your grandpa). I'll report back when I've actually sat and played them for a significant period of time.

(Also, regarding SubNautica, I suck at these types of games so much I couldn't even get out of the tutorial part of the game - putting the capsule fire out - without dying. So, go figure)
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#1969 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3045 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:43 PM

View Postnick68k, on 20 July 2020 - 10:07 AM, said:

(Also, regarding SubNautica, I suck at these types of games so much I couldn't even get out of the tutorial part of the game - putting the capsule fire out - without dying. So, go figure)
That sounds frustrating. Once the fire is out you can relax as long as you've turned off hunger and thirst. So if you wanted to just swim around in the shallows as I'm doing, you were almost there!

www.mindthecube.com

#1970 Atticus

Atticus

Not Wearing Pants

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:42 AM

I suck at survival games, too. I was going along pretty well in Subnautica, even built the personal sub, then the game decided "You got a sub? Well, that means more sea monsters!" and I kept getting eaten within 30 seconds of venturing anywhere. This kind of AI/programming tit-for-tat to keep things "challenging" is annoying AF. I haven't touched the game since. Prob should delete it.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#1971 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1837 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 21 July 2020 - 11:34 AM

View PostAtticus, on 21 July 2020 - 10:42 AM, said:

I suck at survival games, too. I was going along pretty well in Subnautica, even built the personal sub, then the game decided "You got a sub? Well, that means more sea monsters!" and I kept getting eaten within 30 seconds of venturing anywhere. This kind of AI/programming tit-for-tat to keep things "challenging" is annoying AF. I haven't touched the game since. Prob should delete it.

There's a mode to make you invincible.

I didn't find it difficult to avoid predators. I stopped playing after 12 hours, though, because building up things just felt so tedious to do after a while. The last straw was when I lost my walker thing in a crevice and couldn't figure out how to get it back.

#1972 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2263 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 06:03 PM

Just finished Warhammer:  Chaosbane (i mean, its an ARPG with a loot grind but i beat it on the hardest difficulty, so i call that "finished") - a good-enough game supported well by the Old World Warhammer lore  

Im currently playing Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor (Martyr and Prophecy).  A much more serviceable ARPG than Chaosbane and fits the 40k lore very well.  Lots of end-game stuff to do, not that im there.

#1973 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2263 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:16 PM

Oh, finished Doom Eternal just prior to that.  Extremely good

#1974 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4419 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:58 AM

I borrowed The Lion King and Aladdin combo box for Nintendo Switch at the library. I never got to play them on my Super Nintendo back in the days, so I thought I'd give it a try. And maybe my daughter would find them interesting, since she is at the peak of her Disney phase (I hope!).

Maybe it is the latency, or lack of stable wireless connection, or age, but playing them on my Switch was freaking hard. I always felt I didn't have proper control, which sure is needed for those old school hard platformers. And on top of that, those games are HARD! I simply gave up - I wasn't planning on investing that much time in trying to master two old platformers, just for sake of nostalgia.. :P Lovely game design otherwise though, they looked great even now!

But I must give them credit for the release - You could play 4 different Aladdin release versions, and 3 different The Lion King versions, on the same cartridge! And there was even a lot of extra material, both from making of the movies, but also the games. Very lovely release I must say. Maybe when I get retired, I'll get back to them.

#1975 jos

jos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 12:17 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 23 July 2020 - 05:58 AM, said:

I borrowed The Lion King and Aladdin combo box for Nintendo Switch at the library.

You did what? You borrowed games for the Nintendo Switch at the library? Is that still possible in Denmark in 2020? I thought the era of borrowing games ended about 20 years ago.

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 23 July 2020 - 05:58 AM, said:

And on top of that, those games are HARD!

I use OpenEMU and two 8bitdo SFC30 controllers to play Super Nintendo games. I've recently finished Super Mario World and I often play International SuperStar Soccer with my father. I was curious if there were any incredibly good games that I missed back in the days, so I decided to watch some videos on YouTube about the best games for the Super Nintendo. While watching these videos I also found out those two games are incredibly hard. Even though I absolutely love The Lion King I decided to not even give this game a try. I had already downloaded Lucky Luke, but this game was so hard I ultimately gave up. As I didn't want even more frustration I decided not to bother with The Lion King or Aladdin. If I'd played The Lion King after giving up on Lucky Luke I think I would've thrown my controller through the television.

#1976 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4419 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:47 AM

View Postjos, on 23 July 2020 - 12:17 PM, said:

You did what? You borrowed games for the Nintendo Switch at the library? Is that still possible in Denmark in 2020? I thought the era of borrowing games ended about 20 years ago.
Our libraries are pretty good. You can borrow console and Windows games, board games, DVD/Blu-ray movies and TV-shows, magazines, and even books! :P Book what you want online, and it will be ready for pickup a few days later, if there isn't a waiting list. Highly convenient! And there's a play section for smaller kids, so you can park them there while you browse if needed.

I visit my local one at least a couple of times every week.

#1977 jos

jos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 05:47 AM

So, among the things Denmark brought forth there's Lego, Mads Mikkelsen, Sandi Toksvig, Broen and now it turns out they've also got great libraries.

#1978 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8613 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:35 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 25 July 2020 - 12:47 AM, said:

Our libraries are pretty good. You can borrow console and Windows games, board games, DVD/Blu-ray movies and TV-shows, magazines, and even books! :P Book what you want online, and it will be ready for pickup a few days later, if there isn't a waiting list. Highly convenient! And there's a play section for smaller kids, so you can park them there while you browse if needed.

View Postjos, on 26 July 2020 - 05:47 AM, said:

So, among the things Denmark brought forth there's Lego, Mads Mikkelsen, Sandi Toksvig, Broen and now it turns out they've also got great libraries.
That's actually true for public libraries in many European countries.

Anyway, I finished The Last of Us Part II yesterday. A bit quicker than I expected, as some of the later chapters are fairly short.

Overall a fantastic game, and I highly recommend it (with the caveats I mentioned in my last post). It really has some smart things to say, and it will probably stick with me for quite a while.

If I have to criticise something, it would be that the game somewhat stumbles over its writing: the way it's structured, it falls apart into two halfs, which share some characters and locations, but otherwise tell distinctly separated stories. I can see why they did it this way and what they wanted to achieve, though. It doesn't really help that the first half ends on a cliffhanger which doesn't get resolved until hours later.

It's also not to the best of game that they decided to add a couple of side-plots to the main stories, which either should have deserved more time (or better their own game) or should have been dropped. As it is, the whole plot is fairly fraught with issues ancillary to the main story lines.

Naughty Dog's old nemesis, the ludonarrative dissonance* also rears its head. Especially the addition of two human factions in the second half just to have them serve as opponents somewhat undermines the game's message.

Still, the writing works and is very effective where it's important, and that counts.

(*It has become somewhat of an ongoing joke that the characterisations of the protagonists in the Uncharted and The Last of Us games badly clashes with them murdering their opponents by the hundreds. Uncharted 4 even has a trophy making fun of that.)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#1979 nick68k

nick68k

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 516 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

View Postjos, on 26 July 2020 - 05:47 AM, said:

Let's not forget Sofie Gråbøl. I've been enjoying The Killing over lockdown (about a decade later than everyone else) and it's incredible.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#1980 jos

jos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:10 AM

View Postnick68k, on 26 July 2020 - 11:31 AM, said:

Let's not forget Sofie Gråbøl. I've been enjoying The Killing over lockdown (about a decade later than everyone else) and it's incredible.

Yes, great stuff comes out of Denmark: Olsen-banden, Jagten, En kongelig affære, Hans Christian Andersen, the website gucca.dk to buy all of this great stuff and of course the Faroe islands which is an absolutely fantastic place.

However, this is a gaming forum, so let's not forget the Hitman series. Yes, those fantastic games are also Danish. Good job, Denmark.