Quake 4: Mac patch won't help framerates on dual-core intel Macs?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 paulc

paulc

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

I think when we are trying to compare frame rates with various systems and various patches, we can only correctly judge if we perform against a specific sequence. So  was very happy to see the first (that I've seen) reference to a specific demo (the longday one).

So I got the demo file, but I keep running into "file not found." I tried it in about 6 different places; there's no explanation on the site I got the file  from.

How does one "run" this demo sequence?

Arghhhh. After I posted this, I got a bright idea... I did a demo recording to see exactly where it put the damn thing... ~/Library/Application Support/Quake4/q4base/demos/. Put longday.netdemo in there and now it finds and loads it... up to the point where it crashes. I had heard about demo's being non-functional, but I thought I'd give this a whirl.

Unfortunately, I have not read anything about a fix to this in the 1.2 patch... so we are going to be lacking a way to gather some consistent benchmarks... bummer.

#22 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:35 PM

View PostBatcat, on April 27th 2006, 03:17 PM, said:

Blad Olivel hasn't posted here yet, Tomatosow. :)
Bath Oliver?

Or Badge Nimmo?

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#23 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:49 PM

View Postpaulc, on April 27th 2006, 09:06 AM, said:

I think when we are trying to compare frame rates with various systems and various patches, we can only correctly judge if we perform against a specific sequence. So  was very happy to see the first (that I've seen) reference to a specific demo (the longday one).

So I got the demo file, but I keep running into "file not found." I tried it in about 6 different places; there's no explanation on the site I got the file  from.

How does one "run" this demo sequence?

Arghhhh. After I posted this, I got a bright idea... I did a demo recording to see exactly where it put the damn thing... ~/Library/Application Support/Quake4/q4base/demos/. Put longday.netdemo in there and now it finds and loads it... up to the point where it crashes. I had heard about demo's being non-functional, but I thought I'd give this a whirl.

Unfortunately, I have not read anything about a fix to this in the 1.2 patch... so we are going to be lacking a way to gather some consistent benchmarks... bummer.

Yup, well so it means the issue is probably with the timedemo "loader", not the recorder.

Cos the demo i recorded worked up to the point where the level loads.

Then it loads ... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads... and loads...   :wacko:

#24 dj phat 2000

dj phat 2000

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:18 PM

View Postziggurat, on April 26th 2006, 10:01 PM, said:

I have a G5 dual 1.8GHz with 1GB RAM and X800 XT.  I'm definitely running below 40FPS, but then I'm running at 1600x1200 resolution and high quality settings (although some autoexec.cfg tweaks).  I may well be limited by the card at this resolution, but I'll play around with things once the patch is available.

Thanks Brenda for commenting on status of OpenAL support.

That would be great man, thx.  :)
If you lower your resolution to 1280x1024 I wonder if you would see any boost in performance.  Mainly because in Doom III, I never saw much benefit in doing so.  It would only yield like 2-4 FPS more as I lowered the resolution.  The game on our system is WICKEDLY CPU limited.  And or the games use of OpenGL is not as fast as it should be.  I think running it with 3D rendering off I got like 75 FPS or so.  Can't remember exactly.  With 3D rendering back on I get at best 45 @ 1680x1050.  Which is fine, just can't run it with shadows on, as I lose about 8-10 FPS.  So, figuring that with similar game engine and all, and similar GFX config's.  You should be able to average about 40.  If the second CPU gets used (hope for patch soon), then getting 50+ FPS should be possible (at least at lower resolutions).  As the X800 XT is a good enough card to handle that.  Some more tweaking would be needed (no shadows, and turning off AA or FSAA).  But, the game should run pretty darn smoothly (above 40 FPS) all the time I would HOPE.  If there was a time I could use the X1800 or X1900 in AGP 8x for the Mac.  Now would be a good time :)

Posted Image