Quake 4 M-Audio Revolution

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RampantAI

RampantAI

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:09 PM

Anyone able to get sound out of this card when playing quake 4???

#2 ziggurat

ziggurat

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:40 PM

View PostRampantAI, on April 16th 2006, 01:09 PM, said:

Anyone able to get sound out of this card when playing quake 4???

I also can't get sound out of this card.  Q4 advanced audio settings says "your card does not support OpenAL".  This is an odd message, since the Revolution 5.1 does have an OpenAL surround sound setting.  Additionally, I was able to get (flaky) surround when playing Doom 3.  If anyone cares:

G5 dual 1.8, 1GB RAM
OS 10.4.6
Sound output preference set to Revolution 5.1 Analog
M-Audio Revolution 5.1, Version 1.5 Driver version 1.1.0
Quake 1.0.4 b330

It's disappointing, because I bought the card and the surround sound headphones for the immersive Doom experience.  The only real use I got out of the setup was watching Lord of the Rings via VLC player.

#3 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

I have a question regarding such a product: can you plug any set of speakers ? If I have 2 sets of 2 speakers, can I plug both and get the sound split on the 4 speakers (not just 4 speakers doing stereo sound) ?

#4 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:38 AM

View PostiRolley, on April 21st 2006, 10:10 AM, said:

I have a question regarding such a product: can you plug any set of speakers ? If I have 2 sets of 2 speakers, can I plug both and get the sound split on the 4 speakers (not just 4 speakers doing stereo sound) ?

As the name "Revolution 5.1" implies, it's a 5.1 surround sound card.  Thus it uses 5 speakers (front left, center, front right, rear left, rear right) + subwoofer (the .1).  You connect it to a 5.1 receiver.  As to whether you get sound discretely on all speakers, that depends on the game.  There are hardly any that will do this...primarily UT2004 and Doom3, and there are still issues with both of them.  As ziggurat said, disappointing.

--Eric

#5 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:33 PM

View PostEric5h5, on April 21st 2006, 11:38 AM, said:

As the name "Revolution 5.1" implies, it's a 5.1 surround sound card.  Thus it uses 5 speakers (front left, center, front right, rear left, rear right) + subwoofer (the .1).  You connect it to a 5.1 receiver.  As to whether you get sound discretely on all speakers, that depends on the game.  There are hardly any that will do this...primarily UT2004 and Doom3, and there are still issues with both of them.  As ziggurat said, disappointing.

--Eric

I was more thinking about music... does the Rev 5.1 act as a mixer and splits the audio properly? Will it only do 2 right speakers and 2 left speakers? If I play guitar with a nice reverb effect, will the rev 5.1 take it into account?

Do I sound like an idiot asking those questions? Basically I have 2 good sets of speakers, and I am wondering if I could make good use out of all of them...

#6 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:57 PM

View PostiRolley, on April 21st 2006, 03:33 PM, said:

I was more thinking about music... does the Rev 5.1 act as a mixer and splits the audio properly? Will it only do 2 right speakers and 2 left speakers? If I play guitar with a nice reverb effect, will the rev 5.1 take it into account?

Do I sound like an idiot asking those questions? Basically I have 2 good sets of speakers, and I am wondering if I could make good use out of all of them...

First off, do you have anything that can output multi-channel sound?  You need something like a 5.1 receiver.  Simply having extra speakers won't do anything on their own.  If by "music" you're referring to GarageBand, I don't know if that outputs 5.1 or not.  Most 5.1 receivers have settings for "faking" true 5.1 sound from a stereo input though.

--Eric

#7 ziggurat

ziggurat

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:37 PM

View PostEric5h5, on April 21st 2006, 01:57 PM, said:

First off, do you have anything that can output multi-channel sound?  You need something like a 5.1 receiver.  Simply having extra speakers won't do anything on their own.  If by "music" you're referring to GarageBand, I don't know if that outputs 5.1 or not.  Most 5.1 receivers have settings for "faking" true 5.1 sound from a stereo input though.

--Eric

The Revolution 5.1 card has some modes where the channel signals are reprocessed to fool you into thinking that there's more than two channels (SRS Circle Surround II mode).  However, it's a weak substitute for true 5.1 channels from your source application

#8 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:15 PM

View Postziggurat, on April 21st 2006, 09:37 PM, said:

The Revolution 5.1 card has some modes where the channel signals are reprocessed to fool you into thinking that there's more than two channels (SRS Circle Surround II mode).  However, it's a weak substitute for true 5.1 channels from your source application

Yup that's what I was talking about. But it's not worth it? I mean, listening to Shine on You Crazy Diamond with speakers all around must quite a satisfying experience.

#9 ziggurat

ziggurat

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:41 AM

View PostiRolley, on April 21st 2006, 10:15 PM, said:

Yup that's what I was talking about. But it's not worth it? I mean, listening to Shine on You Crazy Diamond with speakers all around must quite a satisfying experience.

I'm sure 5.1 speakers will be a more immersive experience than stereo.  The weak point in my 5.1 system is my $54 Kinyo 5.1 headphones, which have a constant background hiss.  Not to mention one of my connector pins broke, and I'm missing a channel.  I got this solution only for gaming, but in practice I'm bypassing the Revolution card and using them as stereo headphones directly from the line out connection.

#10 iPod_man

iPod_man

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:24 PM

i am also getting NO sound with my revolution 5.1 in my dual 800mhz quicksilver (9800 PRO)

DAMN YOU ASPYR! fix this!

#11 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:07 AM

View PostiPod_man, on April 22nd 2006, 11:24 PM, said:

i am also getting NO sound with my revolution 5.1 in my dual 800mhz quicksilver (9800 PRO)

DAMN YOU ASPYR! fix this!

Say "please."  And smile, while you're at it.  :)

--Eric

#12 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:59 AM

But... but... 9800 Pro! This deserves red carpet, expedited, Aspyr Pro treatment! :o