• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ozomatli

Ozomatli

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:38 AM

Hello all,

This is my first post but I have been a visitor of the site and forums for some years now. My question is related to finding a realistic alternative to using a mouse, since I suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome as a result of playing Neverwinter Nights online a little too often (I have since stopped playing). I invested in an ergonomic mouse sometime ago, but it seems to have had little impact.

Bearing in mind I also use my Mac for various design work as part of my job, I am looking for an alternative which will enable me to both work, do miscellaneous computer stuff and play games while minimising the aggravation of my CPT. I have looked at graphics tablets (which would be ideal for my design work, but can you use them like a mouse for mundane things like surfing the net etc.? Also they wouldn't work with games I assume) and various vertical standing mice amongst  other outlandish looking devices. Do any of you forum posters have experience with using any of these mouse-alternatives that I have read about on the internet, and if so, do any of them acheive what they claim they do? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

#2 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:09 AM

I've used one of those trackball things, but I could never get used to it and went right back to using a good old fashioned mouse.
It was the Kensington Orbit if I'm not mistaken.

#3 Mariner

Mariner

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:08 PM

I have never used this Quill mouse, but you might look into it.

http://www.applelink...mouse_revisite/

As for a tablet as an alternative, I have a largish Wacom, and yes, you can use it for everything. I find that I only use the stylus for drawing type stuff. It's very comfortable to lean back with the tablet in my lap.

#4 Ozomatli

Ozomatli

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the info, that Quill mouse certainly looks interesting. Have you ever played any games with the stylus and tablet you mentioned? I would be eager to know what its like.

#5 wickedsteve

wickedsteve

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:49 PM

I use a tablet and stylus for almost everything. It works great in the finder and web broswer and all the other mundane things. I just can't play Unreal Tournament 2004 with a tablet. That is the only thing I have a mouse for.
I serve too many masters.

#6 iPod_man

iPod_man

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:35 AM

i use the MX-1000 UNBELIVABLE MOUSE! so smooth in every sense, and fits oh so well in my hand.

http://www.logitech....,CONTENTID=9043

logitech have released a new mouse called G7 for games that gives same if not better performance to the MX-1000

http://www.logitech....CONTENTID=10716