Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3939 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:43 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 January 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

You know, I've never played WoW.  I keep hearing stories like you guys are telling, basically that you tend to regret spending so much time on it even though you were very engaged at the time you did.  Over the years, even from the beginning, people have fired warning shots across my bow and I've taken heed.  I have too much of a problem with addictive playing not to.
You missed out on something, and I do recommend you try it when they relaunch vanilla. I never reached the end game, but took my time exploring and having fun, and I still remember it as one of the best gaming experiences I've had. Mind you, this is based on vanilla and the first two expansions. I tried again with one of the recent expansions, after they made it kiddy-friendly, where you gain a level every time you look at an enemy and more or less the only stat you have is your gender, and that wasn't very interesting. So I am definitely looking forward to WOW Classic.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#42 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

Right now I'm playing Fallout 4 every spare minute of my time, including minutes I don't have to spare, so my game addiction is being well fed at the moment.  But I will take your advice if I ever start Wow and play the vanilla version you are recommending.  Thanks for the tip.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#43 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:49 PM

Forbes had an interview with Blizzard on WoW Classic:
https://www.forbes.c...raft-interview/

Still looks like its going to be awhile, dang it.

#44 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3939 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:34 AM

Man I hate Forbes' website, it is soooo slow and chunky. That being said, at this point I don't believe Blizzard knows what they are doing and that they have no clear plan on how to execute this.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#45 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:37 PM

Like I want to take them at face value about the complexity blah blah its like removing the oregano from spaghetti sauce. I do a little development at work, at a certain point you archive *cough lose* old versions etc... but Nostalrius was managing just fine until the C&D so idk I guess hire those folks to fire up a couple blades and be done with it.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#46 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3939 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:14 AM

My perfect scenario is one where they use the modern engine, modern graphical assets, but change all the game mechanics and GUIs to the way they were at the end of WotLK.

#47 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3939 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:11 AM

WOW Classic will run on a Frankenstein version of 1.12. So it will be the vanilla experience without any expansions, but with modern server and backend technology.

Blizzard said it chose patch 1.12 “because it represents the most complete version of the classic experience.”

So we asked ourselves, would it still be possible to deliver an authentic classic experience if we took our modern code, with all its back-end improvements and changes, and used it to process the Patch 1.12 game data?

While that might seem counterintuitive, this would inherently include classic systems like skill ranks, old quests and terrain, talents, and so on, while later features like Transmog and Achievements would effectively not exist because they were entirely absent from the data. After weeks of R&D, experimentation, and prototyping, we were confident we could deliver the classic WoW content and gameplay without sacrificing the literally millions of hours put in to back-end development over the past 13 years.

I can live with that. Looking forward to re-experiencing WOW! Some more technical stuff in the link above, if you care about stuff like that.

No release date yet, but we will like hear something around BlizzCon in November I assume.