6 replies to this topic

#1 MarathonMannn

MarathonMannn

Somewhere in the heavens they are waiting

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 06:38 PM

New to the forum.

It seems there is almost no information out there about the value of an original Marathon (Marathon 1) CD Rom.  Any assistance would be most appreciated.

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4443 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:03 PM

I've got a Boxed Marathon Trilogy set, still in shrink wrap :D

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3476 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:25 AM

I would search through completed ebay listing to try and get a sense of the value. I have no clue personally.
2019 16" MBP: i7 9750H @ 2.6 GHz || Radeon 5500M 4GB || 16 GB DDR4 || 512 GB SSD || macOS Catalina
Desktop PC: R5 3600X || RTX 2080 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3150 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:56 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 16 February 2021 - 08:25 AM, said:

I would search through completed ebay listing to try and get a sense of the value. I have no clue personally.
I tried this search when I first saw the topic. I found only 2 sales of the first game recently.
  • A sealed copy of just the first game (CD, manual, no fancy box) for Mac sold for $50. (This might be low; the product description was wrong which may have turned buyers off.)
  • Marathon 1 with manual, plus Marathon 2 disk (no manual) sold for $45.
This isn't much to go on and eBay only shows a couple months of sales so you'd have to watch the prices over time to get a better idea.

Other notes:
I think the original release was on floppies, so if you have a CD you are already talking about a later edition.
Marathon 2 CDs are sold on eBay more frequently so it's easier to estimate. CD sells for about $10. Manual+CD might get you $40.

Here is a collector valuing his/her Bungie loot:
http://collectedit.c...gie-games-10578
I think these estimates may be a little high- note the flat-packed M1 for $160, which actually sold on eBay recently for $45. Maybe the eBay seller was unlucky. Or maybe its just the difference between book/insurance value vs. what you can get for it on the open market.

Hope this helps! Sincerely,
Matt "would rather research random internet topics than work on his tax returns" Diamond

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17709 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 01:46 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 16 February 2021 - 09:56 AM, said:

• A sealed copy of just the first game (CD, manual, no fancy box) for Mac sold for $50. (This might be low; the product description was wrong which may have turned buyers off.)

$50 quote made me laugh.  That's what I bought Marathon for, all Mac games cost $50 for the longest time.  Even a decade later you could only get it for $50.  I bought all three games when they came out and then the Boxed Set when it came out.  When vacation time came up, the Boxed Set CD folder went into my carry-on luggage in case my house was robbed.  I didn't take the 1oz 1850 $20 gold coin, I took the Marathon CD's.  Priorities man!  Did I ever mention that I was into Marathon back in the day?  Might have come up.

Posted Image
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3150 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 10:34 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 16 February 2021 - 01:46 PM, said:

Did I ever mention that I was into Marathon back in the day?  Might have come up.

I have a vague recollection of you once mentioning such a thing. But I might be mixing that up with the hundred other times you mentioned it.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#7 MarathonMannn

MarathonMannn

Somewhere in the heavens they are waiting

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:39 AM

Thanks Matt-I did the online and ebay searching couldn't find a thing so thanks for all the info, really helps.