Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6175 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:06 AM

I think R. Lee Ermey demonstrated one of those on Mail Call on the History Channel. Seriously cool.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#42 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:06 AM

Is it gas powered? And I wouldn't think a handgun could hold a very large clip. In Iraq my M16 could hold a 30 round clip, and it was a big rifle. You can shoot off 30 rounds fairly quickly. Whenever we were in a hot zone I would double-clip mine, but I never used full clips. Most troops round the M16 clips out at 27 or 28 rounds, to reduce feeding problems, especially if you're going to double-clip.

What did you use in 'Nam, tBC?
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#43 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6175 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:38 AM

The G18 is recoil operated and uses standard 17-round magazines or 33-round extended magazines.

And meh, that feeding problem thing... what make were the magazines they issued you guys? I know we've gotten the teflon-coated D&H mags for a while now, which are nearly impossible to have failures to feed with unless you dump dirt into them, so US troops load their mags to the full 30. We did the 28 thing back in Vietnam because of guys putting their springs back in the wrong way during cleaning though.

They should just hand out Beta C-mags. 100 rounds per reload is the way to go. ;)

Of course, $240 per 100-round C-mag versus $15 for a D&H 30 is also an issue...
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#44 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:19 AM

View PostFrost, on December 1st 2006, 04:38 PM, said:

We did the 28 thing back in Vietnam because of guys putting their springs back in the wrong way during cleaning though.

You were in the Nam??

:looks at Frost's birthdate:

I'm confused :cool:

#45 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6175 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:58 AM

I know some cool stuff that happened at the Battle of Pharsalus too, but that doesn't mean I was around in 48 BC. ;)

Eric5h5:

#46 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:50 AM

View PostFrost, on December 1st 2006, 06:58 PM, said:

I know some cool stuff that happened at the Battle of Pharsalus too, but that doesn't mean I was around in 48 BC. ;)

Sure, but:

we | pronoun [ first person plural ] 1 used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people considered together

:crazy:

#47 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3513 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:37 AM

View PostTomatocow, on December 1st 2006, 11:50 PM, said:

Sure, but:

we | pronoun [ first person plural ] 1 used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people considered together

:crazy:
OK then mister smarty pants, find us a word that means "some subset of a group of people to which the speaker belongs" and we'll be sure to use it in future. :P

#48 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:16 AM

View PostBlackshawk, on November 30th 2006, 11:06 PM, said:

Is it gas powered? And I wouldn't think a handgun could hold a very large clip. In Iraq my M16 could hold a 30 round clip, and it was a <i>big</i> rifle. You can shoot off 30 rounds fairly quickly. Whenever we were in a hot zone I would double-clip mine, but I never used full clips. Most troops round the M16 clips out at 27 or 28 rounds, to reduce feeding problems, especially if you're going to double-clip.

What did you use in 'Nam, tBC?
The M16's I used had a 16 round magazine, it might have been 15 with one in the chamber I don't remember.  The M1911A1 .45 cal had a 7 round magazine if I remember correctly.  I had the opportunity to shoot lots of cool weapons but those two are the only firearms I carried.  By the time I was issued an M16 the feed jam problems were a thing of the past.  I believe the early problems were solved by a change in muzzle velocity and a new return spring, I forget.  I never experienced a jam.

View PostTomatocow, on December 1st 2006, 01:19 AM, said:

You were in the Nam??

:looks at Frost's birthdate:

I'm confused :cool:
"We" as in Frost's US military service as opposed to Blackshawk's Italian military service.  Take into consideration that two military guys are talking to each other and representing their country.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#49 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:01 AM

View PostTesseract, on December 1st 2006, 10:37 PM, said:

OK then mister smarty pants, find us a word that means "some subset of a group of people to which the speaker belongs" and we'll be sure to use it in future. :P

OK, a non-native English speaker shall lecture about proper usage of the English language. Observe.

In this case, it would be appropriate to use Our Military, or The US Army in Vietnam, used the 28 thing in Vietnam. Our Military would imply that Frost was American, though we knew this already, and The US Army would make clear what he was referring to (of course it could also apply to the USMC, in which case perhaps it would be more appropirate to say The US Military Forces to cover a broad rannge of service branches). WE would be too close to Myself Frost And Other Guys which was from my perspective what was being implied, despite his birthdate of 1982, which would make him at least -9 years old at the time the US military pulled out of Vietnam.

Should I continue?

View Postthe Battle Cat, on December 2nd 2006, 12:16 AM, said:

"We" as in Frost's US military service as opposed to Blackshawk's Italian military service.  Take into consideration that two military guys are talking to each other and representing their country.

That is duly noted. But now since we're all nitpicking, I think it's less confusing to say "our guys" in that case, wouldn't you say.

#50 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:36 AM

Not really, I knew what he meant when he said "we".
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#51 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:53 PM

We were all on the same side. After we got finished,  :bleedingeyes:
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#52 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6175 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:58 PM

By "we" I meant the United States. And that's perfectly acceptable usage, BTW. :P

It may or may not be in grammar books, but it's one of those things that's generally inferred and generally recognized. For example, I could start talking about "when we went into Afghanistan" and most of the time that'd be taken to be referring to the US entry into Afghanistan. It wouldn't be myself and some unit unless I was already talking about that.

Eric5h5:

#53 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:14 PM

View PostTomatocow, on December 1st 2006, 09:01 AM, said:

That is duly noted. But now since we're all nitpicking, I think it's less confusing to say "our guys" in that case, wouldn't you say.
Naw.  I knew exactly what he was saying.   :happy:  I'd say you Axis Powers guys were just trying to start trouble all over again, but I see Blackshawk has joined with the Allied Forces.  ;)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#54 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6175 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on December 1st 2006, 09:16 AM, said:

The M16's I used had a 16 round magazine, it might have been 15 with one in the chamber I don't remember.  The M1911A1 .45 cal had a 7 round magazine if I remember correctly.  I had the opportunity to shoot lots of cool weapons but those two are the only firearms I carried.  By the time I was issued an M16 the feed jam problems were a thing of the past.  I believe the early problems were solved by a change in muzzle velocity and a new return spring, I forget.  I never experienced a jam.
They only gave you guys 16-rounders?! Jeez. I know the Army initially got the 20-rounders, and later 30s, and the SEALs were using XM-177E2s with 30-rounders. I'd never heard the Marines got tiny-assed 15s though. Even more kudos getting through alive with half the ammunition... sheesh.  :blink:

And yeah, the M1911A1 uses a 7 round magazine. I don't suppose you ever got a chance to fire an M60 over there? I looooves those things. The sound of one being unloaded makes me go  :sabber:

Video of new M60E4

Eric5h5:

#55 teamturbo_2000

teamturbo_2000

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:48 PM

I know I've spammed this thread with 2 youtube videos, but I just found this and I thought I'd share it with you.  Watch the video, I think you'll be amazed.  This seems like the future technology of pistols, rifles, and heavy weapons.  1,000,000 rnds per minute.  Say bye-bye to the gattling gun.

My Setup
iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo (2.16)
2 Gigs Ram
7600 GT 256MB Graphics Card
Blue Toothed Keyboard & Mighty Mouse

#56 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:25 PM

View PostFrost, on December 1st 2006, 01:32 PM, said:

They only gave you guys 16-rounders?! Jeez. I know the Army initially got the 20-rounders, and later 30s, and the SEALs were using XM-177E2s with 30-rounders. I'd never heard the Marines got tiny-assed 15s though. Even more kudos getting through alive with half the ammunition... sheesh.  :blink:

And yeah, the M1911A1 uses a 7 round magazine. I don't suppose you ever got a chance to fire an M60 over there? I looooves those things. The sound of one being unloaded makes me go  :sabber:

Video of new M60E4
It was 150 percent the capacity than the 10 round magazines of the M14's they replaced, so at the time they were a big improvement.  Lighter rifle with and more rounds.  Ordinarily we Marines got all the Army's WWII and Korean War stuff.  The PRC25 radio I carried weighed 4 times more than the modern radio the Army had.  We ate C-rats when the Army got MREs, my canteen, cup and holder, ka-bar and scabbard, pistol, holster and web belt etc was WWII issue.

And yes I got to fire the M60 a number of times.  It is a kick in the pants.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#57 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6175 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:46 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on December 1st 2006, 07:25 PM, said:

Ordinarily we Marines got all the Army's WWII and Korean War stuff.  The PRC25 radio I carried weighed 4 times more than the modern radio the Army had.  We ate C-rats when the Army got MREs, my canteen, cup and holder, ka-bar and scabbard, pistol, holster and web belt etc was WWII issue.
Wow, things certainly were different back then. With a few exceptions, it seems like it's the Marines who are getting the really good stuff these days rather than the Army. Brand new M16a4s with ACOGs certainly beat the crap out of what the Army is handing out. They're actually giving dragonskin armor a run for its money too.

Army: "We don't have an existing contract for it, therefore it's inferior to Interceptor."  :cool:

Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see how something that shrugs off fifteen 7.62x51mm rounds is inferior to something that turns to gravel after one or two hits from 5.56 and is then only good against pistol ammo. But then I'm not playing favorites with contractors either.

Luckily the AF just needs more bombs and more coffee. Bulletproof office chairs would be nice too, but you make do with what you've got.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on December 1st 2006, 03:14 PM, said:

Naw.  I knew exactly what he was saying.   :happy:  I'd say you Axis Powers guys were just trying to start trouble all over again, but I see Blackshawk has joined with the Allied Forces.  ;)
That's the traditional Italian thing though. Start off with the Axis, then switch sides. ;)

Eric5h5:

#58 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8273 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:00 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on December 1st 2006, 11:14 PM, said:

:happy:  I'd say you Axis Powers guys were just trying to start trouble all over again, but I see Blackshawk has joined with the Allied Forces.  ;)
Yez!! Vee vill confoose yoo wiz pointless nitpicking about ze correct yoose off perzonal pronouns and zen vee vill take over ze world!!!! Muahahahaha!

Ah, dang... blurted out our secret plan again.

This seems like the future technology of pistols, rifles, and heavy weapons. 1,000,000 rnds per minute. Say bye-bye to the gattling gun.
Looks like a bitch to reload. But "Metal Storm" is at least a cool name.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#59 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:05 AM

[Edit - The off topic cartoon stuff was split into it's own thread - tBC]

View Postthe Battle Cat, on December 2nd 2006, 01:25 AM, said:

And yes I got to fire the M60 a number of times.  It is a kick in the pants.

True story.

In tenth grade, I had to do a demonstration speech. I was in JROTC at the time, and was also on the school's rifle team. We also had a National Guard armory within walking distance of my high school.

I talked to my Comm. of Cadets and asked him if I could check out an M60 to do a demonstration speech on how to disassemble, clean, and reassemble an M60. He helped me out, and I was able to arrange time to go over to the armory & work on the rifle. I got the field manual (extremely dry read...) and got to work. One time I smashed my fingers on the spring inside--hurt like an S.O.B.!  :o

Finally, the day came and I checked out the M60. It didn't have the firing pin (I guess they store them seperately), so there wasn't any danger of any school shootings that day  :lol:

Most everybody was pretty interested, as I showed them all the parts, how it fit together, etc. I gave them all the specs like firing rate, muzzle velocity, etc. It even came with the asbestos glove & spare barrel. Needless to say, even though the demonstration was not very useful in most peoples' lives, I had one of the best speeches, and got an "A" for the grade.

This will probably never happen again in the History of the U.S.A.  :D

#60 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:43 AM

It is fascinating taking apart a finely tuned machine like a firearm.  So many interlocking parts all functioning as a unit.  I think the demonstration was useful, learning is learning and spending time with subjects that interest you is not time wasted.  

What has the M60 been replaced by in the modern US military?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat