DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:04 AM

Penny for your thoughts. By the way, that means one penny for each thought available in the item store. I just love shopping!

Here's an unusually succinct take on this from me. This game just got deleted off my wish list of stuff I was sure I wanted to buy later.

EDIT: Oops! Dummy here got the title wrong. Sorry! Can a powerful mod fix it please to the correct name of the game? Thank you!
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:13 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 09 August 2017 - 12:04 AM, said:

EDIT: Oops! Dummy here got the title wrong. Sorry! Can a powerful mod fix it please to the correct name of the game? Thank you!
Done.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:32 AM

Thank you kindly sir!

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:10 AM

Okay, now that I'm back in front of an actual (but not good) keyboard, I can also offer something on topic:

Microtransactions in a (mostly) single player game are just idiotic and greedy. That was already true for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and it's still true for Shadow of War. At least in the case of DXMD, the microtransactions were added very late in development (on order from Squeenix), so the game's balancing wasn't affected. We can only hope that this is also the case for SoW. The idea is bad as it is, but it would be significantly worse if the game is balanced in such a way that you feel urged to pay real money to avoid copious grinding.

This certainly significantly lessened my interest in the game, although I have to admit that due to my somewhat troubled relationship with its predecessor, it already wasn't too high.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:17 PM

Oh, the grinding is in place already. I am pretty sure xp potions or whatever are in the item store, so is legendary gear. Oh, sure you can grind for it for a good long time or you can pay them even more cash to remove that suckage and get whatever it is you want without wasting precious hours that are not especially fun on it. I won't touch this even when it is 10 bucks years from now. Screw them and the horse they rode in on. This isn't just cosmetics which irks me but wouldn't ruin a game for me. Buying gear and xp boosts? That just is not happening here.

I really hope the market rejects this and the game tanks. I fear it won't but I hope it will.

#6 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:42 PM

…just found this thread after creating a New Topic about it.

You guys are already light years ahead of me.

Good info in this thread!
My computer often beats me in Strip Poker but doesn't stand a chance against my kick-boxing!

#7 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1365 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

Wow! Now you can get in-game gold by buying crappy pizza! https://totinos.prom...om/shadowofwar/

I was never interested in this or the previous game because the butchering of Tolkien lore would bother me too much, but now I am being heavily amused by it. It's become a parody of the AAA game at this point.

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:14 PM

Those pizzas are literally industrial runoff and metal shavings from rebuilding engines.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

That's too funny. Thar's gold in that there crappy pseudo pizza for that crappy pseudo AAA game! No thank you.

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

Totinos comes by once a month and pays me 5 bucks to vacuum my cat hair off of my furniture.  I think I know why now.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1365 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:44 AM

Lol. This game keeps delivering: https://www.youtube....h?v=Eghi80ls2FM

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

View PostCougar, on 29 August 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

Lol. This game keeps delivering: https://www.youtube....h?v=Eghi80ls2FM
Yup. Because nothing says "Tolkien-based High Fantasy" more than rap music…

#13 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

Oh, man. I got through about half of that video and had to bail. I have a low tolerance for, well, I don't even know what to call that. I do actually but that kind of language isn't appropriate for public posting even with the filters. I suppose it might make for a good test of them.

It is a shame where that world and its lore has so much potential for a good experience and then a bunch of suits totally ruins it with their incredible greed. They never learn the most basic thing about business which is so true in many facets of our lives. If you just treat people as you'd wish to be treated, everybody wins. The problem is, many of these corporate executives don't even understand the people they are selling entertainment to on the level of being one of those people. That alone is not an insurmountable problem at all but when they don't listen to people within their company who do know their customers because they share their passion for gaming, you get stuff like this. You get the way we have seen gaming devolve into the mess it is today.

I really miss the days of buying a game that is complete and if it sells well enough, perhaps a good solid expansion or even two for it that are worth buying and playing but are not at all necessary to enjoy the original game itself. Some companies still deliver this thankfully but not nearly enough.

My solution to this and I imagine many of you do the same or similar, is to just wait until the whole thing with everything included is sold for 20 bucks in a couple of years if I still care about it then. This game however takes it beyond even being able to do that and maybe that is no accident either. I don't know. Right now I am enjoying Batman Arkham Asylum remastered which I got bundled with Arkham City remastered in the Return to Arkham package for 20 bucks I think it was. Both games are updated nicely (in my opinion) for this generation and look great. They also include all the DLC in both cases. This is how I play the game vs the suits myself. I either win or walk away in which case I still win with more entertainment available than time for it.

By the way, I know my example above is a little off because those games are more than just a couple years old. They are old enough to have seen remasters, etc. but the basic idea still applies and I didn't have time for them until now anyway. I am loving Arkham Asylum. What a fabulous game.