How happy are you guys with OS X these days?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 26 January 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

I don't think you will be happy with Android in this regard. It is the rare that a device gets more than 1 major update. With iOS you can be confident of a decent 3 year life span but many Android devices, even high end android devices often get tossed to the digital dumpster within a year.

Oh, well. It's early for me fortunately but when the time rolls around I'll consider total costs over time, how I use things, etc. and try to make informed intelligent decisions that work out best for me then. I have no idea what those choices will be now but it's good to get some idea of what to expect. Thanks for the feedback about it.

Thanks too for doing the good work of testing out stuff. To the extent any NDA might permit it will be interesting to hear about your findings as you go along.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#22 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:36 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 26 January 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

iPad ehhh whenever I feel like it needs it. Went from iPad 2 -> iPad 4th gen -> iPad Air 2.

The iPad is pretty much just a coffee table, long poops, and netflix in bed device now for my wife and I :cool:

Makes it hard to justify buying a new one. My iPad Air 1 is getting a little sluggish on iOS 10, but still very usable. Better then a 5k iMac with a 5400rpm drive.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#23 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

My iPad 2 was basically made useless with iOS9. It is so slow, crashy, unstable and data loosing that I have no idea how this was ever thought to be a good idea by anyone but Cook (So he could sell more units with a high income to education).
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#24 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 26 January 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

The iOS platform is fantastic and very mature. I've used many Android devices over the years, but I just feel like iOS does things better. The primary reason to go to Android is if you find one of its unique features very compelling (ability to run emulators for example).

For most people; the primary reason is they save a ton of money. Any mid range Android phone is good enough for 95% of people (myself included). They're speedy, have a nice screen, decent battery life, camera and storage space, many have the useful fingerprint reader, and are still 30% cheaper than Apple's low end iPhone SE.
Flagships aren't that useful anymore, whatever their name is (iPhone 7, Samsung S7, HTC 10, etc.).

#25 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 26 January 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

For most people; the primary reason is they save a ton of money. Any mid range Android phone is good enough for 95% of people (myself included). They're speedy, have a nice screen, decent battery life, camera and storage space, many have the useful fingerprint reader, and are still 30% cheaper than Apple's low end iPhone SE.
Flagships aren't that useful anymore, whatever their name is (iPhone 7, Samsung S7, HTC 10, etc.).

True. I had forgotten about that part of the equation. I do think that people value the price a little too much when buying a phone though.

I have seen many people go into the phone store wanting a flagship device that might cost $100-$200 on contract. They will settle for the $0 2 year old popsnizzlety android phone because the salesmen told them it's just as good as the flagship (usually has much worse performance and camera) and now they are locked into a 2 year agreement with a phone they don't really want or like, all because they decided to save $100. $100 over the course of 2 years is practically nothing, especially if it is going to give you a vastly superior device in many ways.

If someone is just looking for a simple phone to make calls, texts, and look at emails then they will be well served by any phone from the past few years.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#26 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

Well, it certainly depends on countries. Here you can find either expensive contracts which grant you the right to get a flagship every 2-3 years for a couple hundreds dollars/euros, like you wrote; but rest assured you pay the price of the brand new device in your contract, it's just a disguised loan, and that's why you're locked for a few months. On the other hand, another kind of contracts only include the true voice/data plan costs and nothing else, there's no lock-in, and you must buy your phone full price (or used): in this case, one must be seriously motivated to leave $700 or even $1000 on the store counter.

#27 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:28 AM

I buy all of my iPhones outright and then put them on a cheap bring-your-own-phone plan. Getting the first iPhone is quite expensive, but afterwards, it becomes much easier since you can sell your old iPhone for $400-$500 and put that money towards the new one.

My wife and I pay around $100/month for both of our phones (6 and 6S) with unlimited talk/text and 4 GB of data. That probably sounds terrible for most parts of the world, but in Canada that is a pretty fantastic price. Many people are paying $120+/month and getting less data than that on an individual plan. Having a massive country with only 30 million people makes cellular infrastructure have extremely low ROI, so they crank the prices to accommodate.

#28 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 26 January 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

True. I had forgotten about that part of the equation. I do think that people value the price a little too much when buying a phone though.

If someone is just looking for a simple phone to make calls, texts, and look at emails then they will be well served by any phone from the past few years.

The thing is, you're coming from a place where you can purchase a brand new iPhone outright. That's wonderful but not everyone is coming from that same place. Plenty of people make choices out of necessity not desire. So it isn't really fair to make a blanket statement about how price sensitive people might be choosing phones or anything else for that matter because every individual person's situation, finances and perception of value and usefulness is unique to them.

#29 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 27 January 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

The thing is, you're coming from a place where you can purchase a brand new iPhone outright. That's wonderful but not everyone is coming from that same place. Plenty of people make choices out of necessity not desire. So it isn't really fair to make a blanket statement about how price sensitive people might be choosing phones or anything else for that matter because every individual person's situation, finances and perception of value and usefulness is unique to them.

I don't think I worded it very well.

Obviously getting a non-flagship phone is a smart decision for many people.

I am referring to the people who go to the store planning to spend the money for an iphone/pixel/s7 and then let themselves be convinced that saving the $100 (which they were already ok with spending) is a great idea by the sales person. (The sales people get huge commission for selling certain phones, and zero commission for other phones (such as the iPhone) ).

Now the person is stuck with a worse phone than they wanted for at least 2 years, and are still paying the $100+ monthly for it.

#30 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

Yeah, I misunderstood what you meant then and that's true. I always assume anyone trying to push something on me is motivated by money rather my best interests but I know a lot people do fall prey to aggressive sales tactics. I lasted all of a couple days at a car sales job when I was younger after being run through what the Ford dealership (and Ford themselves) called the "track selling method" which involved what I considered to be an unethical approach to selling someone a car. I did sell one car to a friend's mother just before I quit but I told them how things really were and helped her get a good deal just before I resigned. Recalling it now, some of what was involved was deliberately dishonest.

#31 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:31 PM

A couple of great Android phones that wont break your piggy bank are the OnePlus 3 and the Moto X Pure.  

The OP3 is more flagship-level (top-end-at-the-time Snapdragon), and the MXP is high-midrange, but both offer very good experiences.  

The OP3 (i think OnePlus 3T, now) is around ~400USD off-contract, and the MXP is about 300 but frequently on sale for 250.  

If you get a good no-contract plan (depending on where you live), its WAY cheaper than a contract phone.  

Ive already gotten 2 years out of my OnePlus One, and will likely get at least one more, and im running the most recent version of Android (7.1.1) thanks to Cyanogen/Lineage.  Still runs snappy and fast.  Only reason i might have to replace it in a year or so is the battery might finally not be up to a full day's charge.

#32 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

I really like Sierra and it has been a super stable, easy to use OS for me without any Kernel panics or similar stuff. For my personal use case, the lightweight, silent 12" MacBook is an awesome machine. But I mainly use text editors, Numbers and web apps. No heavy lifting 3D stuff. I also think the 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar is a great machine.

Apple is expensive these days, but the build quality is still second to none. The Surface books come not even close in my humble opinion.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#33 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

View PostJan, on 23 February 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

Apple is expensive these days, but the build quality is still second to none. The Surface books come not even close in my humble opinion.

The dulls we get at work have build quality more akin to dollar store toys, not high performance devices. Screws crooked, rubber grommets falling out, squeaky hinges, etc... Apple's fit and finish are second to none. But where other companies would say "it's not economical for us to do XYZ" Apple says, "our product experience justifies it". CNC milling for millions of devices, that's crazy. Ok, we'll just buy several thousand milling machines. Only one company makes a laser that can cut the fine holes needed for LED notifications that disappear into the metal. Ok we'll just buy the company.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#34 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

To me it's not really the product quality that is a problem.

Some may say so for some software releases but remember the classic Mac OS or early OS X releases? Sierra is not perfect but quite solid in most ways.

The hardware, with the odd exception here and there (often due to a bad third party component GPU, capacitor, hard disk model etc.) is better than most manufacturers. It's just the value appears to have gone down as upgradability options have disappeared. It's hard to accept a shorter lifespan than you had in the past especially if the prices are higher.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#35 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:22 PM

View Postmattw, on 23 February 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

Some may say so for some software releases but remember the classic Mac OS or early OS X releases? Sierra is not perfect but quite solid in most ways.

Sierra might have been fine for consumers but it was quarter baked for enterprise. Password policy lockouts, 802.1x bugs, missing profile payloads for iCloud and touchID. I had 5 cases open at release, still waiting on some of this to get fixed.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#36 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3802 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:31 AM

Multi threading and networking in Finder is still two big piles of Jar Jar.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#37 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:36 AM

Desktop computers are so last century.

iPad: it's everywhere you want to be.

#38 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3802 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:38 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 24 February 2017 - 06:36 AM, said:

Desktop computers are so last century.

iPad: it's everywhere you want to be.
Sucks for any major productivity work, short of writing, though.

#39 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:43 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 25 February 2017 - 01:38 AM, said:

Sucks for any major productivity work, short of writing, though.

Yeah, that is very true. I don't have any desktop computer now and after the initial adjustment I can honestly say I don't miss it on a day to day basis. The closest I get to doing any work on this thing though is using a personal finance app and Excel with it. Excel on iOS is very nice. Wunderlist, Spotify, and other apps I used on the desktop I continue to use on the iPad. So for me much to my own surprise admittedly, this really is all the computer I need. It even has a lot more decent games than I expected.

I jest about this knowing most of you need more than an iPad for productivity reasons as well as for entertainment preferences but having lived with it for a bit now I've found it to be both very capable as well as simple and enjoyable to use for home use not involving any serious work. That said, it is actually a lot more capable than I even need or use with MS Office and various other apps.

The one thing that could motivate a future MacBook purchase for me is music production if I get serious about that at some point. A portable Mac would be really nice for that and a low end model would be fine for my purposes.

#40 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

I really miss MacDraw.
My computer often beats me in Strip Poker but doesn't stand a chance against my kick-boxing!