G_Player's Content

There have been 66 items by G_Player (Search limited from 17-January 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#447937 Casual Play as Therapy

Posted by G_Player on Yesterday, 03:17 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Here's an encounter to illustrate.

There was a particularly lovely spot that I often visited alone, filled with vert plants, tall trees, diverse flowering plants, butterflies of wondrous colors, and a small stream wound its way gently through.

On this occasion I happened to be dressed all in white and holding a staff. There was a teleport stone nearby which was mainly used as a way point to other locations, not necessarily to where I was. But more often than not, the stone lay silent and unused.

After a time a young man appeared, took a few steps from the stone, looked about, and then quickly returned to the stone and popped away. This he repeated many times over the next five minutes or so. Sometimes wandering out a bit further but always when he returned he'd stop to stare at me, then quickly pop away again.

Curious, (as elves tend to be) I watched his comings and goings which didn't seem to have purpose. When next he appeared and stood looking at me, I addressed him.

(keep in mind that I, as an elf, try my best to always speak in a sort of middle english, for immersion's sake. Sometimes I use words fallen out of common usage long go. It lends an air of ancient mystery of days long past, a connection to something very old, and I always remained in-character)

"Greetings, M'lord. Thou seemeth unsure of the path before thee. Doth thou seek a thing which is found not?"

He stood silently, struck to the spot where he was standing.

"Come," I said, "take pause here next to me. No harm shall I do upon thee."

He came over and we both sat next to the stream.

We spoke about the teleporting stone and I explained how to best use it. But he also had other questions about game mechanics and troubles with a few quests.

After about 20 minutes or so he was encouraged to try again, but he was so enchanted in the kindly way I responded to his needs he wanted to know if I was part of the environment (an actual part of the game) or a GM.

"I know not what a GM is, m'lord. I hath ne'er beheld such. Yet glad am I to lend thee aid and good counsel. Freely seek me if thou hath need again.", I replied.

As he left I could see that he was completely enthralled by the magical encounter and the elf in all white who gave him help.

And what made it all happen was this teeny silvan environment created by a group of very talented artists.

Imagine what could be done with a whole valley.

#447936 Casual Play as Therapy

Posted by G_Player on Yesterday, 01:42 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Yes Matt,

Deep somewhere in my memory, I vaguely recall a single-player game called Zen Garden if I'm not mistaken. The object was to clean up/build an existing area, rake the gravel, and then sit and enjoy the view. But its been so many years ago.

My observations has been in mmorpg worlds created by game developers. The emphasis has always been on high stake battles, adrenaline-pumping action, frenetic fire fights, death and destruction, and the race to be the biggest and baddest dealer of such carnage. Only when reaching end game do many people stop and ask, "Is that it? Is that all there is?"

And many of them miss what is really important; each other.

A few games promoted social interaction and teamwork to build loyal communities. Pubs, taverns, and guilds served as places to meet up and enjoy each others' company.

But real life events that impact players' lives cannot be anticipated nor programmed for. That is way beyond the original scope of providing fun and excitement. But we all know all too often life isn't fun. People do enter a game world with real, and sometimes serious, hurts. Some need a shoulder, some near an ear, others just need a place to go where they can find peace and quiet, some need to cry.

A pub, tavern, or guildhall is never the place to seek out.

Secret/hidden places can be artistically created to be as beautiful as a team of designers and artists can unleash their full talents upon. The purpose of these places is nothing more than to BE a place of refreshment and peace. Even the hardiest fighters and heroes occasionally need alone time. Or a few elves gather to share a grief and support each other. Or the human at the base of a waterfall whose only care is to drown a few worms and soak in the calm.

These places need do nothing at all, except simply exist for the pleasure and enjoyment of others, and a safe place for quiet conversations or contemplation.

There is a major advantage to the developers making these places.

By quietly visiting, disguised as either a gentle animal or kindly NPC, much can be gleaned about how characters feel about the world, and by simply listening the players themselves can inspire many many new ideas.

#447933 Casual Play as Therapy

Posted by G_Player on 15 January 2018 - 03:27 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

We know that the human species are complex creatures, because we are one. Game developers have yet to embrace this.

Developers build their worlds to appeal to the "thrill seeking" side of our nature and completely ignore how reality, past and present, effects us in so many ways. After all, it's just a game, right?

No it isn't. Many developers tout how theirs as a "living breathing world". I'd even bet they'd be pretty offended if you called their years of hard work, "a game".

I cannot tell you how many times I have sat and listened to people who were struggling with real problems (some of them very scary). And the main reason they were there playing was they needed to escape from reality, if even for only a few hours.

It was extremely difficult to sit and listen and to provide some small bit of comfort and empathy in dark hours of grief, or give as wise a counseling as I could to souls in desperate need, while other players ran around us, or stopped and listened-in, or actually interrupted us with horribly rude comments.

I posted in the forums and begged the developers to design beautiful places scattered around the world so that people that were hurting emotionally would have a place to go to contemplate or relax or just "be".

"What's the first thing you want to do when you get home after a long and difficult day?" The answer is, of course, relax and unwind, decompress!

Picture in your mind the most beautiful place you have ever been. The smell of the forest. The sunshine on your skin. A gentle breeze upon your face. The joyous sound of songbirds. Crickets and insects buzzing about. The colours of the sky at sunset. The stars coming out and wheeling overhead. Recall how you felt being there, how you were re-energized, how it seemed to fill every fiber of your being with a sense of awe, completeness, healing, and love.

My pleas were quickly buried by new suggestions.

Can the experience be reproduced in a game world?

No, not completely.

But with today's advanced graphics cards and APIs, they can come pretty damn close. And there's no reason not to, provided game developers realize this and build into their world places that address the more complex needs in us all.

#447927 Casual Play as Therapy

Posted by G_Player on 15 January 2018 - 12:37 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

is there a version of Skyrim for Mac? or do you have to use Bootcamp or Wine?

#447926 Tag line didn't update

Posted by G_Player on 15 January 2018 - 12:29 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

*gives thumbs-up*

"Roger Huston. Everything looks good here. in the 5 by 5. O.K. to go!"

(rewatching 'Contact' with Jodie Foster)

#447911 Tag line didn't update

Posted by G_Player on 14 January 2018 - 04:34 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

Yes… Signature… I've heard that one too. I'll give that a try.  Thank you.  :)

Thank you, Camper-Hunter!  :D

#447910 Casual Play as Therapy

Posted by G_Player on 14 January 2018 - 04:17 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

One of the recurring themes I read about on these forums is about casual play in an mmorpg.

I agree.

Sure, we want action, adventure, the excitement of discovery, a sense of challenge, a feeling of accomplishment. But more importantly, we want… no need… a game to fire-up to escape the madness of our world, a place where we can relax and just go fishing, or wander around with no particular destination in mind (not all who wander are lost), just sit and chat with friends, or be alone with naught but our thoughts.

We need an mmorpg that provides not only the best play experience, but one that also equally addresses our emotional needs. We need places that are artistically as beautiful as possible, with the sound of a gentle wind and birdsong, and safe from threat. Places we can go to share with friends, or relax alone.

Many of us are getting a bit long in the tooth and want to slow down and actually enjoy the view, or stop and smell the flowers, or (in my case) hug a few trees.

Life can be brutal and short. Some of us have seen that, some of us experienced that, we all could use healing because of it.

An mmorpg that acknowledges and makes a sensitive effort to gently address this can go a long way to healing the invisible hurts of this sometimes cruel reality.

#447907 Tag line didn't update

Posted by G_Player on 14 January 2018 - 03:34 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

The line that is added at the bottom of every post. The "My computer often beats me…"

The "Blurb It" line, I think it's called. I've never encountered "blurb it" before, except for here. But I have often heard the feature referred to as a tag line.

I apologize for the confusion.

#447904 Tag line didn't update

Posted by G_Player on 14 January 2018 - 01:05 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

I changed my forum tag line and clicked the Update button. My Profile shows the change, but it still uses the old tag line even when creating a new thread. :cool:

#447903 Blizzard announced bringing World of Warcraft Classic at Blizzcon

Posted by G_Player on 14 January 2018 - 12:59 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

I'd sign-up for vanilla WoW IF they don't charge an arm and a leg. I won't pay the price for a new game plus a hefty monthly subscription on top of it.
When you add the monthly cost of high speed internet access, it's just too much to pay to play a game.

#447873 Startrek Discovery

Posted by G_Player on 12 January 2018 - 12:56 PM in Off-Topic

Activate the Omega-13 !  : P

#447870 Most missed hardware feature

Posted by G_Player on 12 January 2018 - 12:44 PM in Mac Hardware

I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned the removal of the headphone jack from the latest iPhones. That was all the rage last year.

@Camper-Hunter,

I always shut down my Mac Mini everyday, sometimes multiple times a day. Clears out memory, saves energy, never had a problem.

#447845 Most missed hardware feature

Posted by G_Player on 10 January 2018 - 08:48 PM in Mac Hardware

I really miss the old "Power On/Off" button that used to be on Apple's keyboard.

With the bigger screen displays, you have to push em' back to take in the whole image. That means the computer sits farther back, which means you gotta get up and turn the computer and feel around for the Power button.

Wouldn't it be nice if Apple revived a discontinued but still useful feature?

What discontinued feature do you miss?

#447828 Startrek Discovery

Posted by G_Player on 10 January 2018 - 02:49 AM in Off-Topic

Galaxy Quest was the best parody of Star Trek TOS.
"Never give up! Never surrender!"

#447827 Offical Mac MMO list.

Posted by G_Player on 10 January 2018 - 02:42 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Those who still wander there deserve a special end game event. And "thanks" to the GMs, artists, and helpers over the years who made it all possible.

P.S.  I sat in the mud in Puddleby for a time as well.  ; )

#447823 Firearms

Posted by G_Player on 09 January 2018 - 03:48 PM in Off-Topic

IF, for any reason, you cannot read this, post a reply as I have copied the entire article to a TextEdit document.

How to get your hands on a historic M1911 pistol from the US Army stockpile
By Allison Barriel / Fox News

http://www.foxnews.c...-stockpile.html

you're welcome  ; )

#447773 Firearms

Posted by G_Player on 06 January 2018 - 03:25 AM in Off-Topic

Thank you, Frost for the informative reply.  : )

To answer you questions:

"Points Downward", refers to the direction of the inner thigh holster (rather lose a toe than have a lead slug up the ol' Hershey Highway).
My budget consists of selling my S&W .357 Revolver 6" Long Barrel (fired less than 20 rounds out of it), a single-shell-at-a-time 410 shotgun given to me that I've never fired (I don't have ammo for it). And making up any difference in cash. The average American male is 5' 9" tall. I stand 5' 7" and have small hands. Open heart surgery last year means that anyone who singles me out to start a fight with, means a death sentence for me. My ribcage is held together by a few small titanium plates and screws. I looked at my hand-crafted yew longbow and cedar arrows, and wept.

I'll print out your reply and take it to a gunsmith so he can show me the weapons you write about and elaborate on your comments.

Great advise you've given which I shall explore it all. Is there anything else you can think of? Or that I should know?

#447772 Offical Mac MMO list.

Posted by G_Player on 06 January 2018 - 02:44 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Clan Lord has reached the end of all things. This was posted in their Update News on 11/15/2017 for version 1042:

But now the days grow short

I’m in the autumn of the year

And now I think of my life as vintage wine

From fine old kegs

From the brim to the dregs

And it poured sweet and clear

It was a very good year.

— Ervin Drake (1919–2015)
  • No significant changes this version.
  • No crashes in 1,693 days, and counting. (A record!)
  • Today marks the 1042nd week of the game’s existence, more or less. This means that Clan Lord has been up and running, almost continuously, for just over 20 years. Happy anniversary to us!

"However... as you will have noticed, the Account Portal has been out of order for some months now. Unfortunately, we’ve concluded that, for reasons of time and resources, we are unable to revive it. This means it’s basically impossible to sign up new players, or for existing ones to modify their accounts, add new character slots, transfer characters, etc."

"Moreover, we have to recognize the writing on the wall for our current Mac and Windows client apps. Both are technologically out-of-date by decades, not just years. We’ve nursed them along as much as we could, but without drastic rewrites they’re not likely to survive more than, say, 12–18 months."

"Even if we had the time, skill, and resources to rewrite the clients (not to mention our associated internal world-building tools), we’re still stuck with game assets — primarily artwork and sounds — that, although they may have been acceptable or even ambitious back in the late 1990’s, are nowadays woefully inadequate. They would all have to be redone, from scratch, to look and work reasonably decently on modern hardware."

"Finally, even the least observant of players will have noticed that the pace of world enhancements has lately slowed to a trickle. Many of the volunteer GMs and their helpers and the artists and contributors who had put so much time and effort into the Clan Lord world over these last 20 years or so, are now inactive. Without their enthusiastic participation, the game world stagnates."

"We have enormous gratitude to all our dedicated players and wonderful collaborators. We’re interested in your thoughts; we’ve started a discussion on the Sentinel, where together we can work out the future of Clan Lord."

from the link above:

"...our inclination is to terminate [Clan Lord] as gracefully as we can, sometime in the next few months."

My heartfelt sympathies to those remaining exiles. May grey ships carry them in straight paths to a land ever vert.

Lennbain fellow exiles!

#447769 Firearms

Posted by G_Player on 05 January 2018 - 06:46 PM in Off-Topic

:blush:  …forgot to tick the 'Follow this topic?' box.

#447768 Offical Mac MMO list.

Posted by G_Player on 05 January 2018 - 06:41 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

BadgerHunter,

Runescape was sold to a Chinese mining company.

What could go wrong?

#447767 Looking for a webmaster

Posted by G_Player on 05 January 2018 - 06:29 PM in IMG Website Network Feedback

When I go to this web site, Safari reports it "can't establish a secure connection". :wall:

#447766 Firearms

Posted by G_Player on 05 January 2018 - 06:21 PM in Off-Topic

With all the nut cases running around lately, I'm seriously considering getting a concealed carry permit
(my longbow doesn't conceal at all and a quiver full of bodkin-tipped arrows won't fit under a winter coat).

Now guys, don't laugh...

I wear a kilt most of the time (except, of course, during this harsh winter) and plan on strapping it to my upper thigh under the kilt.

I should like a 9MM that shoots sweetly (not a lot of kick), will fit under the kilt strapped to my thigh, and POINTS DOWNWARD.

What do you guys recommend?

#447656 Merry Christmas!

Posted by G_Player on 22 December 2017 - 12:13 AM in Off-Topic

Wishing everyone a most joyous Christmas holiday with family and friends, and a Happy New Mac Year (yes, even you Mr. Ballmer).

May all your wildest dreams come true!

Elen sila lummen omentilva! :)

#447536 iMac Pro lands 14 Dec

Posted by G_Player on 13 December 2017 - 12:30 PM in Mac Hardware

iMac Pro will be released tomorrow.

News From

https://www.investop...-sale-thursday/

"Key additions include an Intel Corp. (INTC) Xeon processor with up to 18 cores, up to 128 GB of memory, a 27-inch Retina 5K display, a space grey-colored finish and one terabyte of storage configurable up to two or four terabytes. The iMac Pro is also set to feature a new dual centrifugal fan system designed to create more airflow and Advanced Micro Devices Inc.'s (AMD) Radeon Pro Vega graphic chip, described as over three times faster than any previous iMac graphic processing unit.

Apple will give customers the choice to buy the iMac Pro with an 8-, 10-, or 18-core processor. The entry level version will retail at $4,999."

I'll never own one of these.

*sigh*

#447074 Blizzard announced bringing World of Warcraft Classic at Blizzcon

Posted by G_Player on 04 November 2017 - 03:01 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

Since it's an older version, does anyone know if "vanilla" WoW will run decently on dial-up?