#141 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:30 AM

USB 4 spec contains thunderbolt 3, so that might improve the cable situation in a few years. Donít count on it getting any less confusing, though. https://www.pcworld....nderbolt-3.html

#142 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2769 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:14 PM

View PostCougar, on 21 June 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

USB 4 spec contains thunderbolt 3, so that might improve the cable situation in a few years. Don't count on it getting any less confusing, though. https://www.pcworld....nderbolt-3.html
I read the article, and now my head hurts. What a mess!

Maybe TB3 would gain critical mass if it were more open, but surely vendors would immediately introduce TB3.1 type A, and TB 3 micro.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#143 Frigidmanô

Frigidmanô

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4323 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:06 AM

WHat ever happened to the "Universal" in usb ....... *glaring at his drawer filled with gobs of cables, all of which are different and for specific devices*

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#144 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3375 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:29 PM

USB C at least seems to be making some headway. Most new laptops, phones, tablets, etc. are USB C and can usually make use of USB C dongles/docks.

For example my Dell USB C dock at work works with my wife's 12" Macbook and the dell usb c dongle's (USB C to HDMI for example) work on my ipad pro for HDMI out.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#145 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:17 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 20 June 2019 - 07:40 PM, said:

• The OWC Mercury Quad enclosure's fan is still bothering me. I'm going to return it.

They still haven't fixed that? I thought my fan issues were solely because thunderbolt at the time was a new thing and they hadn't ironed out all the kinks yet.

I have an old Mercery Elite Pro Dual that I got for my 2011 iMac with its thunderbolt 1 ports and had the same problem. Constant fan noice. And I just wanted it to backup my stuff using carbon copy cloner. I ended up buying a plug switch off amazon so that I could just turn the drive off completely when not in use, since my version has no off switch. :glare:

When my iMac died a little over a year ago I wanted to still use that same enclosure with my new iMac, but obviously thunderbolt 1 used a Mini DisplayPort so I would need an adapter, but the Mercery Elite Pro Dual had a few different connection options, including USB 3. So thats how I have it connected now.

The funny thing though is with the drives being connected using USB 3 the fans work as you would expect them to. They spin down and turn off when the computer goes to sleep or when you unmount the drives.

So yeah completely understand why you would return it.

#146 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2769 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

View PostRGoulder, on 24 June 2019 - 08:17 AM, said:

They still haven't fixed that? [..] I have an old Mercery Elite Pro Dual that I got for my 2011 iMac with its thunderbolt 1 ports and had the same problem. Constant fan noise.
Interesting!

The funny thing though is with the drives being connected using USB 3 the fans work as you would expect them to. They spin down and turn off when the computer goes to sleep or when you unmount the drives.

Wow. I would not have guessed.

I still think this enclosure is a bargain for $200, if you can tolerate the noise (and for all I know other quad enclosures may be similarly noisy while awake.) It might be particularly well-suited for a 24/7 media server.

Without the quad enclosure my Mini + eGPU is extremely quiet. (Much quieter than my 2008 Mac Pro w/GTX 680.) I can make do with a pair of single-drive enclosures instead.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#147 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2769 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:26 PM

This should be the last post for a while about my new Mini. (Questions welcome of course.)

I'm still happy with it, especially now that I've tucked the wires away. I have only two issues, both fairly minor.

First is that when I manually sleep it I have to do it twice - first time it wakes up immediately, the second time always works. Some kind of timing issue with a peripheral I guess. I'm not too bothered as long as it doesn't continually wake up during the night (and I don't think it does.)

Second issue: my two USB C external drives don't mount if they are on and connected before I boot the Mac! I have to pull their USB cord out for a moment, or power cycle them. (Note they work fine when the Mac wakes from sleep.)

Again I can live with this, but it's strange. I'd prefer not to have to teach the family how to get the music or photo libraries back after the Mac is power cycled. I plan to try some experiments (e.g. other enclosures; see if the unmounted drives are visible in Disk Utility). But if anyone recognizes this behavior I'd like to hear about it.
www.mindthecube.com

#148 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2769 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:59 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 04 July 2019 - 09:26 PM, said:

First is that when I manually sleep it I have to do it twice - first time it wakes up immediately, the second time always works. Some kind of timing issue with a peripheral I guess. I'm not too bothered as long as it doesn't continually wake up during the night (and I don't think it does.)
This issue was more serious than I thought. If I didn't sleep it in quick succession it didn't work. This prevented the Mac from putting itself to sleep!

Doing without my USB hub fixed the problem though. And I suspect powering the hub from the wall might also have worked (I will try this at some point.) Not ideal but at least it's solved.
www.mindthecube.com