One game to buy--Starcraft 2 or Dragon Age?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

Ok, I just wrapped up a fairly grueling summer class, had a new baby, and finished a big magazine deadline. I am treating myself to one game as a reward. I gotta ask--Starcraft 2 or Dragon Age? I like the RTS and the RPG genres roughly equally. Also, I don't play multiplayer so you can't factor that in to the total number of hours per game. Welcoming input and opinions from my fellow IMGeezers, whether you've played both games or not. If you were me, what would you do? And don't say "Get an XBox!" or something. I've looked at both of these games, read up quite a bit, and I know that it's going to be between the two of them.

Thanks!

#2 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

If you can get the expansion, and you're not going to die or go bankrupt in the next few years, I'd definitely go for Dragon Age (Origins and Awakening, and maybe some of the DLC if you want to spring for it; BioWare is close to releasing the final DLC and ending support, ahead of the release of the sequel in March).

StarCraft II isn't going anywhere. The terran campaign has been released, but the zerg and protoss campaigns are coming separately in two expansions over the next two (or three or four; this is Blizzard we're talking about) years, and you know you'd want to get those too. Blizzard usually has a box-set when they wrap up a franchise installment, so it will be like getting a really big (and new) game when you can get one or both expansions and the base game at the same time. And the game might actually run decently on Mac OS X by that time.

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4352 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, I'm not bothering getting Starcraft II until its FINISHED. Not buying partially done work for a premium. I can wait.

Dragon Age would be the better choice at the moment.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 31 August 2010 - 10:48 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm not bothering getting Starcraft II until its FINISHED. Not buying partially done work for a premium. I can wait.

Dragon Age would be the better choice at the moment.

Man, this argument has to stop. There's as much or more content in SC2 than any other full-price game out there. You can still hate the way they're doing it, but you're not getting 1/3rd of a game.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#5 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

I'd go with Dragon Age myself, but that's principally because I prefer RPGs to RTSs.

#6 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

View PostPeopleLikeFrank, on 31 August 2010 - 10:50 AM, said:

Man, this argument has to stop. There's as much or more content in SC2 than any other full-price game out there. You can still hate the way they're doing it, but you're not getting 1/3rd of a game.

OK, so your vote is for SC2?

#7 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

If you don't play multiplayer then DAO is more bang for the buck. With the original campaign being 60-80 hrs where as SCII is about 13 hrs.

In terms of enjoying gameplay tho I'd say both are easily in my top 3 RTS and RPG game lists respectively.

#8 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

View Postalldaveallen, on 31 August 2010 - 10:52 AM, said:

OK, so your vote is for SC2?

Heh, I was going to edit my post and elaborate a bit: I just get a bit annoyed that people are making out like SC2 is only 1/3rd of the game it ought to be: it has pretty much as many missions as all three original SC1 campaigns combined, and they're way more varied and interesting. Just all the work put in to making the single-player campaign an interesting experience makes me think it's worthwhile.

That said, you're definitely getting more SP content with DA, and it's true that it's wrapping up, while SC2 is definitely around for a while. I've not played it myself, as when it came out, I'd had it up to the gills with Tolkien-style fantasy. However, the SC2 story is centered around The Most Boring Space-Cowboy and His Band of Merry Cliches, so it's not like you're missing out if you don't play that one first (the missions are super fun, but the story is awful.)

I'd say go with DA: you will get some more out of it, and while I don't feel it's necessary to wait for a complete SC2 box in 4 years, there's certainly no harm in saving a buck on it in a few months.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#9 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

Got to say Dragon Age is great and with all the content coming to the Mac I'd say it's definitely my preferred option.

#10 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:06 PM

View PostSargiel, on 31 August 2010 - 11:05 AM, said:

Got to say Dragon Age is great and with all the content coming to the Mac I'd say it's definitely my preferred option.

+1  :happy:

Dragon Age is the best rpg I've ever played. And there's so much content that you'll be busy for a very long time. SC 2 is great as well. You won't lose with either but my choice is Dragon Age because I prefer rpgs over real-time strategy games.

PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.13.2
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#11 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

looks like we have a pretty strong consensus--although I wonder if the result would have been the same if I'd posted this question on the strategy forum page?

I have never been an early adopter of games, so I think I'll wait until SC2 goes down to $39 or $29, and roll with Dragon Age in the meantime...

Thanks everyone!

#12 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:19 AM

Starcraft II.

#13 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4352 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:05 AM

Frost, I just hate Blizzard =D and any chance I can throw out the same canned hate as others, then I just toss it out there. I haven't bothered to look into the game, because its Blizzard, so I just grab some random hate topic about the game, and substitute it in. I dont have the desire to waste anymore time then that with regards to a blizzard game. Reading what you said, hasn't made me any bit more interested in it either. But, uh, thanks for elaborating for the OP.

I still think its a waste of money compared to Dragon Age.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#14 pantherv

pantherv

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Steam Name:panthervca

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

Go with dragon age for now. SC 2 is a great game but if you dont play multi player,even if you replay the campaign on differnt settings your going to get the same storyline. Yes dragon age has the same story line but at least there are different orgin starting points to play and different classes. Also you will blow through the sc campaign quickly compared to dragon age.
MP 2.66 QC/8GB/1TB WD Velicoraptor/10.8/GT120/Lacie 234 24in/1TB Gtech/Razer Black Widow Mac Edition Keyboard/Logitech G500 Mouse/Razer eXactMat.Audioengine A5 & A8 Speakers & Sub.
iPhone 4s/32GB/Speck Case
iPad Mini Retina 64

#15 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3375 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

View Postpantherv, on 01 September 2010 - 09:44 AM, said:

Go with dragon age for now. SC 2 is a great game but if you dont play multi player,even if you replay the campaign on differnt settings your going to get the same storyline. Yes dragon age has the same story line but at least there are different orgin starting points to play and different classes. Also you will blow through the sc campaign quickly compared to dragon age.

I've got both and I will tell you that with either purchase you will be very satisfied. SC2 is probably the best RTS game I've ever played, and DA:O is one of the best RPG's I've ever played. It just comes down to which genre you prefer at the moment.

If your playing online then SC2 will give you a lot more longetivity, but DA:O has an amazing SP that will keep you going for a long while as well. Also if you time schedule doesn't allow for super long gaming sessions then I'd get SC2, as DA:O is better to play in long gaming hauls.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#16 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:30 PM

I somewhat disagree with respect to the different stories thing in Dragon Age. True, it has more player choices than Starcraft 2 (which has only two choices, I think) but it just felt a bit tacked on to me. It is like they took a game and then instead of letting you fill out your own background they had you actually play through it. It would be kind of like if in Mass Effect you played scenes as a spacer, earth born, or colonist and then played as either the war hero, sole survivor, or cold jerk. Now, the story in Dragon Age is much better than in Starcraft 2 (dramas are not Blizzard's strength, they're more the comedy side show type).

As far as replayability, Starcraft 2 has a lot if you're an achievement junky. There are lots of hard achievements to get in the solo and multi side. Still, if you're not going to be doing much multiplayer I'd probably suggest Dragon Age since the story is better. Just make sure you're going in knowing this is more toward the "old school" style rpg than the newer style such as Mass Effect (and probably what Dragon Age 2 is going to end up being).
"You call *this* archaeology?" • Professor Henry Jones

#17 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

View PostNAG, on 08 September 2010 - 07:30 PM, said:

As far as replayability, Starcraft 2 has a lot if you're an achievement junky. There are lots of hard achievements to get in the solo and multi side. Still, if you're not going to be doing much multiplayer I'd probably suggest Dragon Age since the story is better. Just make sure you're going in knowing this is more toward the "old school" style rpg than the newer style such as Mass Effect (and probably what Dragon Age 2 is going to end up being).

I am not an achievement junkie, because I don't find that achievements reveal anything new to me about the game I'm playing, whereas playing as different characters might. I gotta say, with what seems to be a pretty steady release of DLC for Dragon Age, it's looking like a pretty strong contender. It's amazing to me because I never imagined that any game would be able to compete for my game $ with any new Blizzard game--I have been a huge fan of their games ever since I started playing computer games. But SC2 looks like it is not exactly something I need to have waited in line to buy on Day 1.

#18 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8451 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:02 AM

View Postalldaveallen, on 09 September 2010 - 03:08 PM, said:

I gotta say, with what seems to be a pretty steady release of DLC for Dragon Age, it's looking like a pretty strong contender.
Dragon Age: Origins has reached its end of life. Witch Hunt is the last DLC. There might be third-party campaigns coming, though, but DA:O doesn't seem to develop such a momentum in that field as its indirect predecessor, Neverwinter Nights.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#19 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:08 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 10 September 2010 - 01:02 AM, said:

Dragon Age: Origins has reached its end of life. Witch Hunt is the last DLC. There might be third-party campaigns coming, though, but DA:O doesn't seem to develop such a momentum in that field as its indirect predecessor, Neverwinter Nights.

While everything you say is true, it doesn't make DA:O any less of a choice. It's still the same fantastic game it was last December, only better with the DLC and updates. And if you haven't played it yet it might as well have been released yesterday for all that matters.  :happy:

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.13.2
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8451 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:44 AM

View PostTacohead, on 10 September 2010 - 08:08 AM, said:

While everything you say is true, it doesn't make DA:O any less of a choice. It's still the same fantastic game it was last December, only better with the DLC and updates. And if you haven't played it yet it might as well have been released yesterday for all that matters.  :happy:
No, certainly not. I just wanted to point out that the "pretty steady release of DLC" alldaveallen mentioned has come to an end.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"