#1 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3375 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:45 PM

So far just MS has done their conference and what we have so far is an Xbox 360 slim with built in wifi and 250 GB HDD. A bit of catch up I would say.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8453 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

Doesn't really look slim. More like "short" and "fat". :unsure: That "Kinect" thing (formerly known as "Natal") so far turns out more or less like I expected: stupid mini-game collections having you flail your arms like a drunken monkey and a couple of AAA games with tacked-on controls having you flail your arms like a drunken monkey and his mom.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3375 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 14 June 2010 - 02:08 PM, said:

Doesn't really look slim. More like "short" and "fat". :unsure: That "Kinect" thing (formerly known as "Natal") so far turns out more or less like I expected: stupid mini-game collections having you flail your arms like a drunken monkey and a couple of AAA games with tacked-on controls having you flail your arms like a drunken monkey and his mom.

i haven't been able to actually see a pic of it yet, IGN was down.

And yea, natal looks kinda ghey to be honest
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra

#4 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:04 PM

Completely agree with the sentiments on Kinect (which is actually quite a clever name, really), it's really poor for your "hardcore" games. Though voice control is nice, and the tech behind the cameras is quite clever. It's just that for gaming purposes, you look like even more of a tool than with the Wiimote, and can get less done since you've got no buttons...

At least the Move can do whatever the Wii can do, and probably about 90% of what the Kinect can do too, and given Sony's 1st and 2nd party developing clout, it'll get plenty support around the place. Socom 4 looks like it could be quite nice.

Know what'd be even better? Move + 3D... now that would be rather cool, if it was handled right and done with the right genre.

But however you look at it, they're all gimmicky to claw in non-gamers and kids. Hardcore gamers will drop them after a few weeks and go back to blasting each other in the face with Assault Rifles in MW2 or whatever...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3375 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

View Postteflon, on 14 June 2010 - 03:04 PM, said:

Completely agree with the sentiments on Kinect (which is actually quite a clever name, really), it's really poor for your "hardcore" games. Though voice control is nice, and the tech behind the cameras is quite clever. It's just that for gaming purposes, you look like even more of a tool than with the Wiimote, and can get less done since you've got no buttons...

At least the Move can do whatever the Wii can do, and probably about 90% of what the Kinect can do too, and given Sony's 1st and 2nd party developing clout, it'll get plenty support around the place. Socom 4 looks like it could be quite nice.

Know what'd be even better? Move + 3D... now that would be rather cool, if it was handled right and done with the right genre.

But however you look at it, they're all gimmicky to claw in non-gamers and kids. Hardcore gamers will drop them after a few weeks and go back to blasting each other in the face with Assault Rifles in MW2 or whatever...

Agreed, the hardcore ones will be pretty uninterested, except for maybe the aiming controls in Socom 4. Depends how they work it.

The 3D should really push the PS3 ahead though. It's just another thing that the 360 can't touch. They caught up very slightly by throwing WiFi into the 360 elite, but Blu-Ray, 3D, free PSN, etc. I think will keep drawing more and more people in. Blu-Ray is really picking up steam now. I was talking to a hardware guy the other day ad apparently Blu-Rays are outselling DVD's now, and its probably a matter of a year or so before Blu-Ray becomes the dominant format.

#6 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:51 PM

SOCOM 4, I believe, literally just uses the move for aiming and pointing. No gimmicky motion controls for grenade throws, just really accurate and fast aiming. Everything else is done with buttons. So if they get it down properly, it should be more accurate than using a DS3, and just as flexible.

For the 3D, there's a few big big big titles for Sony in the next year. Wipeout's all well and good, but that's not a system seller. Gran Turismo 5 definitely is, though, as will Killzone 3. Both of those will be 3D and both will look absolutely fantastic, and both would be a big moves to encourage 3D TV sales to those that can afford them. Motorstorm 3 should be great too, but I don't see it as a system seller.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#7 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

Bah. 3D this, 3D that: just a bunch of hogwash to me.

Anyway, since E3 still doesn't officially start till tomorrow there's only slim pickings so far. The MS conference was laughable at best. Maybe Nintendo might finally outdo them for once... I doubt it though. ;)

The new Medal of Honor doesn't look too bad. Looks like DICE really mashed up their Battlefield with IW's Modern Warfare now. Would be interesting to see how it turns out. Oh, and finally some real DLC coming for BF:BC2 in way of Vietnam (as in past, not modern).

Though the only thing that has me really excited so far is an announcement for Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit making its return, developed by Criterion. The trailer certainly had me pumped as it was my favorite of all NFS games. I'm expecting great things from that.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17568 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:55 PM

Meh and pffffh with all of that.  Booth babes.  What about the booth babes???
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

A thing I don't like about microsoft press conferences is they make everything seem like it's Xbox360 exclusive.. even when it isn't.  :bleedingeyes:
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3375 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 14 June 2010 - 06:55 PM, said:

Meh and pffffh with all of that.  Booth babes.  What about the booth babes???

Posted Image

#11 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

Well I don't think Natal was ever billed as anything other than being a Wii with better graphics as far as gameplay (although I think losing the remote will be nice since you don't have to waggle around that stupid thing and can instead gesture). I oddly think the best feature will be the updated dashboard/touch navigation (the current one sucks). The Kinect is MS's bid to take over the internet by essentially turning your tv into a really large iPod Touch without a web browser (everything goes through the apps). You really have to look at it like a Steve-note if Steve Jobs got drunk then fell on his head and died resulting in Cook killing Schiller followed by Ive putting Schiller's brain in Steve's body in an effort to hide the fact that Steve had an accident. ESPN looks nice though...if your ISP supports it (it's free because it is built into your ISP bill already).

Oh, and the Old Republic trailer was nice (not the flail around like an idiot Kinect game). Hopefully it gets a mac port or something.

As far as 3D, are we sure that the PS3 can even run these games at a decent frame rate? I mean, it wouldn't be the first time a game company kind of glossed over how playable a game is by using a buzz word (OMGOMG it's HD!!) We'll see what Nintendo can pull off with the 3DS (no glasses, hopefully).
"You call *this* archaeology?" • Professor Henry Jones

#12 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

Hey, Nintendo just beat Microsoft giving away Xboxes by giving everyone a handcuffed booth babe. It's family friendly!

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17568 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:32 PM

View PostNAG, on 15 June 2010 - 11:19 AM, said:

Hey, Nintendo just beat Microsoft giving away Xboxes by giving everyone a handcuffed booth babe. It's family friendly!
pix plz.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

There you go.

Oh, and Nintendo also released a bunch of innovative, fresh, new games such as Golden Eye and Donkey Kong Country. Mario Wii Party 58 and Kirbie's Yoshi's Island also looks awesome.

#15 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8453 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

View PostNAG, on 15 June 2010 - 01:20 PM, said:

Was the photographer really focusing on the device in that picture?

Posted Image

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#16 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

Just reviewing the merchandise. That guy in the blue shirt there is hot!

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8453 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

Just read up a bit on the announcements of Sony and Nintendo. Sorry, Microsoft, sorry Sony, but Nintendo's 3DS so far appears to be most interesting. 3D effects without glasses (and good ones, as it seems!), new analog controller (better than the PSP's) and a decent lineup of games (Pilotwings, Super Street Fighter IV 3D, Metal Gear Solid). Nice! Good thing I passed up on the DSi and the DSi XL – this might steal my iPhone's limelight for mobile gaming again. (Okay, it might also go the same route as the Wii and the DS in the last time – one stupid collection of mini games after the other.)

And Sony? Seems like a rerun of Microsoft's keynote: new arm-flailing controls, used in a handful of shovelware mini-game collections and tacked on to some AAA games. At least "Move" is less overpriced than Microsoft's Kinect.

#18 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

Yeah the 3DS looks pretty good to me although I reserve judgement on the 3D until I can get my own hands-on. The list of games so far seems pretty good with quite a bit of variety. Much more impressive than the list of games for the motion control systems. To be honest while the iDevices may have had a big surge of popularity as mobile gaming devices I think this new DS is probably going to be better gameplay-wise. I'm almost tempted to getting one myself. Don't get me wrong I think iPhone 4 looks pretty good too but this new 3DS seems pretty compelling. BTW, only the top screen seems to be 3D which is kind of what I was expecting.

On a side note I'd rather play Force Unleashed II than that literally on-rails motion controlled Star Wars game they showed for the natal... errrr.... kinect. :P Well since the former is way more likely to come for the Mac than the latter my choice will be very easy.  :cool: To be honest motion controls look best to me for dancing games. Motion controls for controlling media playback seems interesting but I agree with those who say that it can get annoying if you interrupt your viewing by it registering false positives making you have to keep still while watching. I can totally imagine something like that happening since as far as I can tell it's always scanning your movements. I think people are getting too caught up in stuff that seems cool to consider whether it is really practical or not.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#19 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

Sony won as far as showmanship for "hardcore" ie: teens/young males (smack talking and that kind of thing). I don't buy the 3D thing. It's even more of a money sink than HD. Then you have to add on to that how they had to defend how they have true 3D and explain it. That isn't a good sign. Move is basically Wii HD. It will have all the same short comings.

Microsoft had a good showing for the "casual" market, and they haven't officially priced Kinect. You have to take Gamestop's word for it. No real exciting game unless you count Master Chefs in Space and the extremely cute Kinectimals – Sony won the "surprise" with Portal 2. I like how Microsoft is not even pretending Kinect is for every game *coughsonycough* although they need to stop inflating their "exclusives" numbers.

Nintendo finally showed off something actually relevant in Zelda (although it really just looks like Twilight Princess 2.0...hey look at this all new weapon that allows you to control a bird insect and solve puzzels). And while the Vitality Sensor seems to have been sent to the stupid idea graveyard they seem to be getting an even worse case of sequelitis. I didn't see anything remotely original unless you count the Kirby/Yoshi's Island mashup. And the Metroid trailer was about as bad as the Halo demo.

As far as E3 trailers are concerned so far I rank The Old Republic as the best followed by Deus Ex 3 and Force Unleashed 2 (the later were kind of lacking in polish and didn't have any suspense).

#20 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

That Portal 2 PS3 thing makes me go WTF! What exactly is going to be best about the PS3 version? Motion controls? Calling it the best version almost makes it seem like the rest are going to be nerfed. Also it seems like Gabe Newell has the habit of criticizing a platform just before he really jumps into it.

Wait.... correction.. best version on any console because of steamworks. Presumably it has more of the online features of the personal computer versions. NO cross platform play for PS3 though. Kind of sucks as I have a friend who'd likely get it for PS3 who I would play Portal 2 co-op with... *makes a mental note to convince that person to get the Mac version instead*  :blush:

BTW, the Deus Ex trailer did indeed look really good. I watched it a few days back and I can almost say I haven't seen a better game trailer.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said: