ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:46 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 05 April 2020 - 09:04 PM, said:

Considering the performance reviews for PC it seems the performance is about the same—not great, but very playable. I'm still enjoying it more than I did the previous Borderlands—especially the Presequel.

I will say I enjoyed it quite a bit. Probably not as much as Borderlands 2, but way more than The Pre Sequel.

That being said, the Mac port performance is DREADFUL compared to Windows. I have a Vega 56 eGPU. It was virtually unplayable on ~medium settings (a bit less than medium, but more than Low) at 1080p on a 2018 Quad Core 13" MBP with 16 GB RAM, Vega 56 eGPU, and Thunderbolt 3. I could play, but not an enjoyable experience and frame rate dipped into single digits and teens quite often. On Windows 10 with an 8-year old MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 1 it was completely playable and enjoyable at the same settings, and benchmarked ~50% higher. This is with a 2012 15" MBP quad core with 8GB RAM, same Vega 56 eGPU, but over Thunderbolt 1.

Crazy that an 8 year old Mac running Windows with limited Thunderbolt 1 bandwidth to eGPU crushed the performance of a 1.5 year old Mac with Thunderbolt 3 bandwidth running Mac OS.

#262 MrUNIMOG

MrUNIMOG

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:20 AM

View PostHomy, on 04 April 2020 - 06:56 PM, said:

I've lost interest in the game because of things like this, along with the bad Mac port and the absence of the game on Steam.

Before we all get the torches and pitchforks (pun intended) out—I know people like to put nothing past big companies and Gearbox in particular—it probably makes sense to also consider a different view on that story: https://www.linkedin...am-maxime-babin
Devices I play games on:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3) — 3.1 GHz i5-6287U | Iris 550 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash | Space Gray
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) — 3.4 GHz i7-3770 | GTX 680MX | 32 GB RAM | 1 TB Fusion Drive
iMac (Flat Panel) — 700 MHz PPC 7450 (G4) | GeForce2 MX | 640 MB RAM | 40 GB HDD
iMac (5 Flavors) — 333 MHz PPC 750 (G3) | ATI Rage Pro | 512 MB RAM | 6 GB HDD | Tangerine

iPhone X — 256 GB | Silver
iPhone 5s — 32 GB | Space Gray
iPad Pro (10.5-inch) — 256 GB | Space Gray
iPad Air 2 — 64 GB | Space Gray
iPad — 16 GB
iPod touch (3rd generation) — 32 GB
iPod touch — 8 GB
Apple Watch (1st generation) — 42 mm | Stainless Steel (Yes, there's games for watchOS)

#263 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:52 AM

View PostMrUNIMOG, on 07 April 2020 - 03:20 AM, said:

Before we all get the torches and pitchforks (pun intended) out—I know people like to put nothing past big companies and Gearbox in particular—it probably makes sense to also consider a different view on that story: https://www.linkedin...am-maxime-babin

Thanks for the update! That wasn't the main reason for my loss of interest in the game but good to hear the other side.

#264 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:39 AM

Yea - my reaction to the original news articles was a bit skeptical. Seemed like there was a fairly well defined formula for calculating (total revenue, cover all of 2K development costs, then the rest split according to the percentages). And that this wasn't a case of bonuses being "taken" or "withheld" as much as having unrealistic expectations over what they would be or what sales would be. Now if the company leadership is intentionally setting those unrealistic expectations as a carrot to get people to stay/work hard at below-market wages then I have a bit of an issue with that.

I could potentially also see a quibble about needing to cover all of 2K development costs before paying any of this out, although it seems that was agreed to up-front and doesn't seem unreasonable.

Either way, no employee should ever bank on getting a bonus (or the size of it) - it is a bonus, not salary, and is therefore discretionary based on performance (of the individual, company, etc.).

#265 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:49 AM

View Postozzy, on 07 April 2020 - 09:39 AM, said:

Now if the company leadership is intentionally setting those unrealistic expectations as a carrot to get people to stay/work hard at below-market wages then I have a bit of an issue with that.

It reminds a bit of the American tradition of being depended on tips to make a living.

#266 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:44 AM

April 9 hotfixes.
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT

macOS 10.15.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#267 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2940 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 April 2020 - 07:10 PM

Epic Store is selling the Season Pass for 20% off until Apr 16 (tomorrow). Base game is also on sale, but that's been more commonly discounted I think.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#268 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:43 AM

Posted Image
I need sleep—
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT

(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#269 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 23 April 2020 - 12:24 PM

Nice Firaxis logo in the background.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#270 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2940 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:08 PM

April 23 hotfixes: https://borderlands....otfixes-apr-23/
Sets up the next Maurice event, Revenge of the Cartels.
Players can buy even more capacity for backpack, bank, and some types of ammo.
Lots of little fixes for crashes and obscure mission triggers not firing correctly. (Still not the Torgue arenas unfortunately)
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#271 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 08:03 AM

I don't really know why a couple of people keep posting about new updates to the game here. Updates keep coming all the time and are nothing news worthy. I guess I have to turn off the notifications for this thread. I would have more understanding if someone wanted to discuss something specific about the updates or warn about them but just keep posting all the time is not interesting. Those who own the game are already aware of the news and those who don't have no interest in getting frequent notifications. I don't own the game but follow Borderlands on Facebook and see news about updates, hotfixes and patches every week. It's so frequent that the fans are getting tired of these never ending updates that fix something but brake other things. Sorry for complaining but I think it's justified. :)

#272 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2940 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 12:06 PM

View PostHomy, on 26 April 2020 - 08:03 AM, said:

I don't really know why a couple of people keep posting about new updates to the game here. Updates keep coming all the time and are nothing news worthy.  [...] Sorry for complaining but I think it's justified. :)

I'm glad you said something. The updates are about once a month though- are the posts really that annoying?

From my point of view I'm taking a break from the game, so I don't always know there's a patch. Yet I'm interested in hearing about limited time events and significant gameplay changes. And the Epic launcher doesn't tell you what the patch is for either. When someone summarizes that info for me it saves me time, and that's why I summarize them too.

I don't own the game but follow Borderlands on Facebook and see news about updates, hotfixes and patches every week.
I don't. Personally I'd rather read someone's summary here, with an occasional snarky comment, than to try to drink from the marketing firehose. Just me?

I certainly don't want to annoy anyone. But I would have thought that the start of the Revenge of the Cartels event alone was worth mentioning. What kinds of posts should this thread be reserved for?
www.mindthecube.com

#273 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 08:36 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 26 April 2020 - 12:06 PM, said:

I'm glad you said something. The updates are about once a month though- are the posts really that annoying?

From my point of view I'm taking a break from the game, so I don't always know there's a patch. Yet I'm interested in hearing about limited time events and significant gameplay changes. And the Epic launcher doesn't tell you what the patch is for either. When someone summarizes that info for me it saves me time, and that's why I summarize them too.

I don't. Personally I'd rather read someone's summary here, with an occasional snarky comment, than to try to drink from the marketing firehose. Just me?

I certainly don't want to annoy anyone. But I would have thought that the start of the Revenge of the Cartels event alone was worth mentioning. What kinds of posts should this thread be reserved for?

It's alright. I can turn off the notifications and look in here once a while since I don’t own the game and I'm not currently so interested. :)

I looked back at the thread and you’re right that you post about once a month about updates but as I said you’re not alone. As far as I can see first time it was UmarOMC1 that made a post in November (nr 195) but lately the number of such posts has increased. In April you two have made three posts. Here is how it looks:

November - post 195 by Umar OMC1, post 196 by Matt Diamond
December - nr 215 by Matt Diamond
January - nr 227 by Matt Diamond
February - nr 228 by Matt Diamond
March- nr 252 by Umar OMC1
April - nr 255 by Umar OMC1, nr 266 by Umar OMC1, nr 270 by Matt Diamond

Still you have missed a few update reports in April. The game got 5 hotfixes and updates in April alone (2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 26th).

I guess since I follow the game on Facebook and see these news updates there it feels like old news and repetitive to see them here too. I still believe that if you play the game you are aware of news about the updates. I mean you seem to get your info elsewhere first and then post them here. It shows that as a gamer you first go to the main source i.e. the different channels for the game (website, FB, Twitter).

Such posts tend to make the thread feel more like a news thread than discussion thread. I mean it would be more interesting if you wrote what you think of Revenge of the Cartels event after you played it instead of reporting about the news, but don’t let me discourage you. Maybe it’s me and my lack of interest for the game at the moment. Better for me to turn off the notifications than trying to stop your enthusiasm. :)

#274 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 02:17 AM

Borderlands 3 DLC is On Par with Borderlands 2's Best DLC
Borderlands 3's first two DLCs have set the bar quite high in terms of quality, even rivaling that of Borderlands 2's most beloved DLC.

Warning, article contains spoilers. Having played all Borderlands and all DLC therefrom so far, I agree. The mechanics of BL3 have so far made it a lot more fun for me.

#275 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 06:16 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 26 April 2020 - 12:06 PM, said:

I for one actually appreciate the notices. I have finished the game and DLCs, so am not playing it at the moment. So I love seeing the synthesized patch notes and any new content that is upcoming! If I didn't see it here I likely wouldn't see it at all!

#276 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:51 AM

A movie is in the works with Cate Blanchett as Lilith.

#277 MrUNIMOG

MrUNIMOG

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:09 AM

View PostHomy, on 06 May 2020 - 03:51 AM, said:

A movie is in the works with Cate Blanchett as Lilith.

A Borderlands Motion Picture? 10/10 would watch.
Devices I play games on:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3) — 3.1 GHz i5-6287U | Iris 550 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash | Space Gray
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) — 3.4 GHz i7-3770 | GTX 680MX | 32 GB RAM | 1 TB Fusion Drive
iMac (Flat Panel) — 700 MHz PPC 7450 (G4) | GeForce2 MX | 640 MB RAM | 40 GB HDD
iMac (5 Flavors) — 333 MHz PPC 750 (G3) | ATI Rage Pro | 512 MB RAM | 6 GB HDD | Tangerine

iPhone X — 256 GB | Silver
iPhone 5s — 32 GB | Space Gray
iPad Pro (10.5-inch) — 256 GB | Space Gray
iPad Air 2 — 64 GB | Space Gray
iPad — 16 GB
iPod touch (3rd generation) — 32 GB
iPod touch — 8 GB
Apple Watch (1st generation) — 42 mm | Stainless Steel (Yes, there's games for watchOS)

#278 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2940 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:29 AM

I've started playing again, Cartels and Jackpot DLC. Also this is my first experience with Mayhem 2.0.

Jackpot is good so far. Jack's hologram recordings sound a little flat. It might just be the writing- the joke is that he openly makes fun of the gamblers he is fleecing, and it gets old quickly. But so far so good.

Cartels: it was fun the first two times through. But I'm level 50+ and the difficulty is ramping up oh-so-slowly. I don't think I'm going to repeat 18 times in the hopes of getting an awesome weapon the 10th time through. But I may try a couple more times. I turn it off while I'm doing Jackpot, because the extra enemies that jump in during other combats can really hurt.

I did get a legendary OPQ rifle, and its so much better than my other guns its not funny. I had to switch Mayhem from 0 to 2 just to keep from getting bored. I need more good weapons though, I can't do it all with just the one. I'd like to solo Malawan but I'm not good enough.

Mayhem 2.0: I like it. The enemies in Jackpot are currently buffed when they are in groups and it totally changes the strategy and difficulty. I've gotten quite a few legendaries but most of them weren't very useful. I'll try to bump it up occasionally.
www.mindthecube.com

#279 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:38 PM

Question, What was the download size for Borderlands 3 for everyone?

I just decided to pick this up and according to the Borderlands 3 page on the Epic Store, it'll be roughly 78GB of hard drive space. So I was expecting close to half that for a download size, add in some DLCs and it would be obviously higher but I'm sitting here watching the download seeing a download size of 121GB.... :bleedingeyes:

How in the....

Does Epic not use any compression at all?

At 210kB/s...

This is going to take :censored: forever.

#280 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2940 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:14 PM

When I bought the season pass it was a 30-40 GB download or more.
www.mindthecube.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Borderlands, Three, Guns Guns Guns