What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1578 replies to this topic

#1561 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17344 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

I started playing Homefront the other day.  It appears to be a set in the Red Dawn universe.  You play as the resistance.  It's not a bad shooter, and I've been quite enjoying it.  Ammo is scarce so you use whatever weapons you can take from the enemies cold dead hands.  It's pretty balls to the wall action and the acting is believable enough.  Fun stuff.  If you like FPS then this is for you.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#1562 RacingFan84

RacingFan84

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:26 AM

Hearthstone on Mac and a backlog of playstation games.

I'm also trying to pickup a few old racing games like Total Immersion Racing and Distance.

#1563 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1477 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:46 AM

Still plugging away at PST:EE and enjoying it very much. It is fun playing a Mage class for a change. Sure enough, they really do come into their own later in the game.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#1564 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:12 AM

About 20 hours into ME: Andromeda. Despite all the hate, outrage, and death threats surrounding this one, really enjoying. Good palate cleanser after playing too many titles in a high fantasy setting.

Love ya', Geralt but...LASERS pew pew pew.

And speaking of CDPR and lasers--pls pls pls finish Cyberpunk 2077 before I die or my kids go to college and I'm bankrupted...whichever comes first. Thx.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#1565 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3086 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:52 PM

View PostAtticus, on 20 August 2017 - 07:12 AM, said:

And speaking of CDPR and lasers--pls pls pls finish Cyberpunk 2077 before I die or my kids go to college and I'm bankrupted...whichever comes first. Thx.

Very excited to see what this game looks like...

I'm pretty addicted to Player Unknown's Battlegrounds at the moment. I'm awful at it too which makes it all the worse.

Also getting into a decent amount of CS:GO with friends. Here's a highlight if you'd like to see my unco clutch skills.

My attention span at the moment is atrocious. I'm studying Japanese so amongst trying to play through Quantum Break and the Witcher 3 Blood and Wine, i'm also trying to play through Shenmue 1 again, only this time the Japanese version... probably bitten off more than I can chew.

I played through Wolfenstien: The New Order recently and loved it. Highly recommended shooter if you don't have an AMD card (awful port, heres hoping the follow up is as polished as DOOM 4).

Also played through DOOM for before I upgraded graphics cards (had a AMD HD 6990) and couldn't put it down, even on low settings 720p!

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#1566 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3766 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:52 PM

Recently started up Broken Sword 2 on the iPad, as I really dig adventure games.

So far it is a tad less good than the first one, as the story feels a little bit less coherent. Still good though. Good humor, gorgeous animations, difficult riddles to solve..
My two complaints is that despite being the 'remastered edition', it still looks like a game from the 90's with you having to identify things in the background based on 4-10 pixels. At least they could have update the discussion icons from being 16x16 pixels to something even remotely modern.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1567 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

I'm playing a bit of Armored Freedom after picking it up from the MGS for $3.99. You get what you pay for, but it's pretty fun, and nicely presented.

The gameplay is extremely simple (roll dice, move minis, use terrain to your advantage and deploy attack or defence cards in battle and the highest number wins - that's it), but it's entertaining enough for short spells.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#1568 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1477 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:00 AM

Finished Planescape Torment: EE and loved it. I'm glad I played a mage for something different. I had a great deal of fun with that. The story did not disappoint which I had wondered about given how hyped I was to play this after so many years. If you've ever enjoyed any of the Infinity Engine D&D games and haven't played this for some reason I'd say you would do well to check it out. Yes, there is more reading than usual but why some people ever complained about that in a story driven crpg is beyond me. It is a plus, not a minus for those with greater than say, a Call of Duty attention span. I mean no offense to those who enjoy Call of Duty. I like it myself but it isn't exactly a cerebral experience, you know? It's all visceral really which is fine sometimes.

Next up on the PC is Neverwinter Nights Diamond with all the modular goodness one could desire and then some. It's another classic I have been meaning to play beyond the opener for well, since it first came out in 2002. Yikes I am slow. A decade from now I will probably be gushing about how cool Divinity: Original Sin is I suppose or maybe Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity. If a miracle happens, maybe I will play Borderlands 2 even - alone because that is all I deserve at this point. :crying:

On my PS4 I have been messing with Destiny but honestly, aside of the awesome gun play, I find the game to be less than intuitive to get into really. The whole UI just seems bad to me despite the really good shooter beyond it. The single player aspect of the game is pretty lame but would be okay coop with a friend or two I think because then it wouldn't matter, it would just be about the gun play and who cares about the stupid, throwaway story. There's a multiplayer feel to all of it too which could easily be seen as either good or bad depending on your own perspective. It makes sense for this multiplayer game on the one hand but on the other hand a real single player campaign, even a short one of some substance would have been really welcome. As it is, as an entire package, I lost interest pretty quickly. Nice visuals and awesome gun play that even this console FPS novice could notice the quality of, weren't enough to hold my attention. In fairness, if I was a seasoned console FPS player, my entire view could be very different but where I am not, I want a better single player experience to get me up to speed, not one that bores me to tears and confuses me over the most basic things like quest progression and what I have already done vs need to do, etc. The game doesn't do enough to explain everything that gets thrown at you initially either. You have to kind of figure it out as you go. That's not the end of the world but it is an area I hope they improve in Destiny 2 and I sure hope they improve the god-awful UI to just get into the game and where you want to be. For example, it wasn't readily apparent to me tooling along early missions myself where the hell is the multiplayer anyway? Do I need to hit a certain level? Is it available at low levels and I am simply too stupid to see it or find it? Maybe. I'm going with blaming the UI for openers and if that don't work, "I'm old, dammit!"

Moving on, I am going to try The Division next but again, I suspect I may not last long simply because I am not ready for what the game really is. However, it will still be fun to check out some of it myself and see what I think.

I am hopeful and expecting that unlike Destiny or The Division, Titanfall 2 actually has a real, solid, enjoyable single player experience that preps you at least somewhat for the ensuing online carnage. That is what I feel the competition I have looked at sorely lacks. I felt this way about Star Wars Battlefront also. Basically, I thought the game sucked myself. I thought it was half-assed.

The above are just my own thoughts as somebody just doing this stuff for the first time with such different controls although if any game felt comfortable to me, it was Destiny, I will certainly give Bungie their due there. I hope they buff up the other stuff in the game this next time around.

#1569 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1477 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:09 AM

I forgot StarCraft Remastered. It requires 2.2 GB of video RAM to enable the enhanced lighting which my gimpy laptop does not have. I waited this long. I will wait longer until I whatever I do my budget and stuff on can run this too. It's just a matter of time.

#1570 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3766 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:30 AM

Divinity: Original Sin and Borderlands 2 are some of the best games I've ever played. You really should push them up your list. ;)
Edit: Metacritic actually has Original Sin: Enhanced Edition at 94%, which is more than I expected! Borderlands 2 is only at 89. O_o Jack wouldn't have been pleased.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1571 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1477 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:50 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 24 August 2017 - 12:30 AM, said:

Divinity: Original Sin and Borderlands 2 are some of the best games I've ever played. You really should push them up your list. ;)

I joked about that but actually I have. I use Howlongtobeat's website now and named my custom category, "Library." This is where everything that is a lower priority, as in I hope I get to this stuff, goes. I'm whittling down the backlog to just contain the most important titles to me and both of these games are among them.

#1572 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8060 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:47 AM

Played some of the Destiny 2 PC Beta and liked it. No surprise after Destiny 1 was one of the games I played the most in the last year on the Playstation. So far, D2 seems for the most part nearly the same as D1, right down to the UI, but there's a lot new stuff we haven't seen yet. On my 2016 15" rMBP with the Radeon Pro 460, it runs silky smooth (solid 60+ fps) at a mix of high and medium settings and 1080p, and looks much crisper than D1 ever looked, even on the PS4.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#1573 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1477 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 29 August 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

Played some of the Destiny 2 PC Beta and liked it. No surprise after Destiny 1 was one of the games I played the most in the last year on the Playstation. So far, D2 seems for the most part nearly the same as D1, right down to the UI, but there's a lot new stuff we haven't seen yet. On my 2016 15" rMBP with the Radeon Pro 460, it runs silky smooth (solid 60+ fps) at a mix of high and medium settings and 1080p, and looks much crisper than D1 ever looked, even on the PS4.

I felt a little guilty after reading this about my criticisms of Destiny where you enjoyed it. I did mean my comments in a most subjective way though and hopefully got that across the way I worded it. For me it is simply about getting used to console gaming which mostly I find very natural and fun but shooters remain the most challenging thing. I've played two start to finish and a mix of multiplayer stuff in its introductory single player parts so my whole take on things is from the rank amateur perspective basically. As for the Destiny UI, I may have overstated that some but I did find it less than intuitive myself but also did get it for the most part after a little while.

Something I got out of spending time with Destiny, Star Wars Battlefront and The Division was the realization that I don't really care too much for what modern online shooters have become and that again is a very subjective thing. I miss jumping into the likes of Quake III Arena where the only learning curves were map familiarity and improving skill over time. There was no gear or level progression. The playing field was even aside of the aforementioned baseline learning. It was just a lot less complicated and I really enjoyed that. I can understand though how people who like to spend a lot of time in multiplayer shooters would have over the years wanted considerably more depth and so that is what has happened. I think it is just a case of not everybody can like everything and this stuff is not the same stuff I used to like years ago is all. It is at its core but there is just way too much extraneous stuff to learn and use that puts me off today.

That said, the game that I wound up liking the best of the three I tried so far was The Division and I may come back to that later. That may seem odd given what I just talked about but the Division reminded me somewhat of an MMO in just my very limited experience trying it out. It's just as complex as the others, maybe more for all I know at this point but something about it resonated with me more for some reason. I still have yet to play Titanfall 2 and that one I am thinking I will after the single player try jumping into the online with. Who knows, maybe getting my feet wet there will cause me to have a more open mind about the other games.

I hate to admit my resistance to change but I think that is part of my problem with this stuff more than anything being inherently wrong with it if that makes any sense. Anyway, glad to hear you had a good impression of Destiny 2 and will likely have fun with it. That's good.

#1574 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8060 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:29 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 29 August 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

I felt a little guilty after reading this about my criticisms of Destiny where you enjoyed it.
Don't worry. For the most part I liked Destiny despite of it. There is quite a lot you can criticise about it: from the incoherent mess that is the story of the main game (the expansions, especially The Taken King, were significantly better), to the repetitiveness and the massive amount of grind to get better gear in the late game, and to the constant reuse of assets and enemies in the expansions.

That said, it played just so extremely well. And I surprisingly enjoyed the PvP multiplayer part.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#1575 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17344 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Been mainlining on solo Saint's Row IV the last week.  This is almost the perfect game for me, and it has sucked up all my free time and more.  It's a big sandbox game that never fails to deliver an amusing, outlandish and interesting experience.  Fun fun fun.  I'm the fraking President of the United States of America with an anti UFO gun placement outside the Oval Office, just like in my RL backyard.  I'm trapped in a computer simulation much like in the Matrix, Earth's best and brightest have been abducted.  It's fun for me but those simulation slobs are stuck in there with me, I almost feel sorry for them but then I nut kick some hapless bonerfart onto the roof of a building and that feeling just evaporates.  I love my superpowers  and I hope to marry them someday, but trust me, the last thing you need is a flying cat in your neighborhood.  It's a damn shame this franchise never came out for the Mac.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#1576 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1477 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

I wound up having to abandon ship on both of the Neverwinter Nights games unfortunately. I don't know how much of the issue was Windows 10 or this cheapo laptop with Intel HD graphics (probably?) but in any event, neither game would run properly and after a little investigation I decided to forget about them until next computer and maybe I will see if they work then.

At this point, there's just a small handful of PC games left that I care about and which will run on this system. So, I guess I will mess with them later on but for now I got sucked into Batman Return to Arkham on my PS4 in a big way. I am about halfway through Arkham Asylum I think at this point. The game rocks but you guys probably already know this for years now. I am just finding out and having a blast. It controls so well too. The action packed fights are awesome. I like unlocking various character biographies and reading them, the related comic book history so far as when the character first appeared in comics or sometimes just in this game. It's all great stuff. I am not that keen on the collection stuff but I do enough of it to ensure I get enough benefit to boost my Batman's skills. I think it contributes to that. Boss fights have been fun and doable by mere mortals such as myself although I will confess to playing it on easy mode. I might try the next one on normal and see how I fare. I put fun before anything else though so as long as easy is not too easy for me, I'm fine with that. I want to have a good time and not be frustrated with too many reloads from checkpoints, etc. The game looks really great to me in its updated form. I'd read about some folks taking issue with changes to the lighting but where I have never seen it any other way, I have no preconceptions about how it is supposed to look. I like how it looks myself.

Otherwise, I am poking around in Oblivion a little bit on my XBox One and will probably focus on that next after I complete the first Batman remaster.

#1577 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3766 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:07 AM

Just started up Trine: Enchanted Edition yesterday, and am so far 1/3 into the game. I played the non-enhanced edition a couple of years ago, but never finished it. I guess I hit some point in the game that was really tedious? *Shrug*

It is a beautiful game, and I really like the puzzle solving coupled with platforming. My only major problem with the game, is that the controls doesn't feel top notch. A platformer of this kind should have nanometer precision controls, and I just don't feel that it has it. Maybe I've been spoiled by too many Nintendo platformers, as they are, in my humble opinion (And that's not debatable! :P), the standard everything else should be compared against. But absolutely playable of course. Fighting can become a bit tedious, again due to the controls, but fortunately that is not the main part of this one. I guess the story could also be a bit more developed, since they could easily have put in "save the princess at the end" and it would have worked as well, but it is okay. A few hand-drawn images between levels to set the mood, would have been sufficient.

I tried to watch a youtube video comparing the enhanced edition to the non-enhanced one, and short of things having been moved around and somewhat higher resolution textures, I can't see the difference.. :P The enhanced edition simply uses the Trine 2 engine, without any other changes, so it is only a graphical upgrade (According to what I could read), in case anyone was wondering.

Edit: Why don't MGS sell Trine: Enhanced Edition, and only the regular version? I am playing in on GOG, got it at some point there. *Shrug*

#1578 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1346 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:39 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 10 September 2017 - 02:07 AM, said:

Just started up Trine: Enchanted Edition yesterday, and am so far 1/3 into the game. I played the non-enhanced edition a couple of years ago, but never finished it. I guess I hit some point in the game that was really tedious? *Shrug*

It is a beautiful game, and I really like the puzzle solving coupled with platforming. My only major problem with the game, is that the controls doesn't feel top notch. A platformer of this kind should have nanometer precision controls, and I just don't feel that it has it.

Where Trine shines is in the co-op. Then the kludgy platforming becomes almost a feature, as you try to pull off awkward coordination with your friends. Great fun.

#1579 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3766 posts

Posted Today, 05:35 AM

Finished Trine. Good game, good game. Some clumsy controls here and there, and could have liked a few more boss fights, just for fun, although as fighting was merely a case of 'jumping wildly while spamming the mouse button', I can live without it also. :P Will look forward to play Trine 2 though. 4/5 is my final verdict, and I highly recommend it if you want small puzzles and platforming with great looks. The story could have been told a bit more deeply.

Then I fired up Divine Divinity (The original one from 2002), just because I liked Divine Divinity: Original Sin so much and wanted to see how it all started. I haven't played more than an hour so far, but here we have a game which looks like the bastard child of Diablo, with a skewed isomorphic look, which is REALLY gritty, and with some non-optimal controls, but the latter is likely due to its age (How did we stand it?). I definitely prefer the slower pace of Diablo I compared to this - Just trying to hit a moving enemy is a fight in itself, and you and the enemy will several times slide past each other while trying to hit. Hilariously bad! :D