What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1923 replies to this topic

#1921 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2824 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:16 PM

Speaking of Portal...

My daughter got a part-time job in a VR center. You rent by the hour and play any of the hundreds of games they stock. Mostly PC but also Playstation and XBox. She's been bugging me to try it so I went last week.

Holy cow. I played three things:

The Blu:  You don't do much but look around but I LOVED it and it reminded me strongly of when I scuba dived as a teen.

I Expect You To Die: and you do. Some of the puzzles require searching diligently, others are genuinely tricky yet logical. The controls can be frustrating (was using controllers, not gloves) and you are supposed to die and replay each mission repeatedly. Restarting over and over got kind of annoying. Also, aside from turning your head, and the need to turn over every piece of paper you pick up, it really could have been a 2D point and click adventure-- the VR doesn't seem fundamental to it (maybe on the harder levels?)

The Lab: "a compilation of Valve’s room-scale VR experiments". The longbow mini game was particularly fun. The most memorable thing was Robot Repair, which (minor spoiler)
Spoiler

I barely scratched the surface. Definitely going back.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#1922 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6199 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:42 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 22 October 2019 - 06:54 AM, said:

but but but m'uh steam rreeeeeeeeeeeeee

Where were the complaints when everything was a "steam exclusive". :whistling:

:rolleyes:

Great example of false equivalency, but no. Remind me when, again, Valve was paying developers not to use anyone else's stores and openly touting said exclusivity? Oh wait, they weren't. Stuff appeared on GoG, Uplay (UGH!), the Mac App Store, etc. and continued to be on Steam too. They were even cool with developers handing out keys for stuff bought elsewhere (which I did several times with some older games when I was new to Steam).

Epic is paying for exclusives. Epic pays to keep third party products off other storefronts. They're doing the same crap Sony and Microsoft have been doing to each other for the past decade and a half with their consoles. That is not even remotely in the same universe as a developer not putting a game on another PC storefront because they just don't want to put in the time/effort, or another storefront doesn't offer enough of a ready userbase to be financially attractive when working with limited funds.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#1923 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4398 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:05 PM

Been beating on zombies this last week or so in Dying Light (in the mood cause of the halloweenadays). Fun game for that genre... nice fluid animation and action. Lots of parkour too.

It has the ability to turn off ALL the HUD... which makes for an interesting gameplay (more fun/cleaner action), but a couple key things get lost in that... like being completely unable to switch to the right utility item since there is no display on screen which one you tabbed too (also no keys to directly switch to a specific slot of 4 items).

At least when tabbing between your 4 equiped weapons are seen in your hands on screen... you can kind of tell what you have ready to fight with. But the utility items... when you have to 'throw' or 'use' them to know what you have, can be very dangerous if the one you selected was a grenade and you actually thought you had a throwing star selected *ahem*.

Decent game, even runs for Mac users ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#1924 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 05:20 PM

Recently, I've been playing John Wick Hex.

:)

richmlow
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
12 GB RAM
AMD FirePro D300 (Dual GPU, 2048MB VRAM each)
MacOS Mojave 10.14.6