What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1923 replies to this topic

#1861 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4165 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:39 AM

Turns out the Goblin Menace expansion is very much better than vanilla Trine 2. Much more imaginative and with very varied levels, and they use the backgrounds much more, which makes for a more dynamic experience. I am glad I tried that one out!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1862 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2824 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

Finishing up Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void single player. I'm playing on Normal difficulty so early levels were maybe too easy, but I didn't want to take the time to play a harder difficulty level. One gripe is that on the 2nd to last level it puts you in charge of Terrans instead of Protoss, for no real reason (the story doesn't require it; both races are present in the mission). I haven't played Terrans for many years. Kind of a low blow, given that the mission is already difficult. But I'll get past it eventually.

I also licensed a copy of Virtual ][ emulator and have been rediscovering the Apple 2 games I used to play in high school. Some don't hold up TBH, and some don't play well without the Apple ][ paddle controller (I would need a non-centering dial controller but I don't know any cheap options for that). But a standard gamepad and keyboard are good enough for many of them. Karateka, Bolo, Stellar 7, Burgertime just to name a few.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#1863 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2310 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:32 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 01 August 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

Finishing up Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void single player. I'm playing on Normal difficulty so early levels were maybe too easy, but I didn't want to take the time to play a harder difficulty level. One gripe is that on the 2nd to last level it puts you in charge of Terrans instead of Protoss, for no real reason (the story doesn't require it; both races are present in the mission). I haven't played Terrans for many years. Kind of a low blow, given that the mission is already difficult. But I'll get past it eventually.

I also licensed a copy of Virtual ][ emulator and have been rediscovering the Apple 2 games I used to play in high school. Some don't hold up TBH, and some don't play well without the Apple ][ paddle controller (I would need a non-centering dial controller but I don't know any cheap options for that). But a standard gamepad and keyboard are good enough for many of them. Karateka, Bolo, Stellar 7, Burgertime just to name a few.

Don't forget about the recently released Total Replay. Turn your Apple II or emulator into the ultimate 8-bit arcade machine.

https://archive.org/...ils/TotalReplay
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#1864 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2824 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 01 August 2019 - 05:32 PM, said:

Don't forget about the recently released Total Replay. Turn your Apple II or emulator into the ultimate 8-bit arcade machine.
Yes, this was in fact what re-ignited my interest. Probably your tweet about it, in fact!
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#1865 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:58 AM

Started up RealMyst. Was too young to understand it back when Myst came out, and now is the time to finish it!

Edit: It runs surprisingly bad for such an old game. And controls are quite clunky.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1866 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:25 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 03 August 2019 - 03:58 AM, said:

Started up RealMyst. Was too young to understand it back when Myst came out, and now is the time to finish it!

Edit: It runs surprisingly bad for such an old game. And controls are quite clunky.

Yeah. I've tried it on various new machines over the years, and have always been disappointed by the performance.

I'm playing The Gardens Between on my MacBook Air at the moment. Pretty as heck, not too challenging, but short. I'm taking it slow to enjoy the environments, but I'm guessing most people will finish in 4 hours or less.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#1867 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1677 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:32 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 03 August 2019 - 03:58 AM, said:

Are you playing realMyst Masterpiece? iirc it always ran fine for me in macOS. Windows was awful til I got my R5 2600. It’s the trees on the island that really tank the frame rate for some reason.
Never had an issue with the controls.

I’m currently playing Slay the Spire, which is like Darkest Dungeon but with cards. Way, way too addicting. It’s one of the early unlocks for this month’s Humble Monthly.

#1868 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:52 PM

Finished it today. Only had to look up help a few times! Very enjoyable game. Looks amazing for what it is, and it is so tranquil and relaxing to play. Good puzzles, of which most are just right! A bit too much backtracking, and again somewhat clunky controls and weird graphical performance, but that is also my only minor complaints.

5/5 A game worthy of its masterpiece recognition even back then, and should also be regarded as such now.

View Postnick68k, on 04 August 2019 - 04:25 AM, said:

Yeah. I've tried it on various new machines over the years, and have always been disappointed by the performance.
I played it on a 2011 iMac with 2GB Radeon 6970M. It made absolutely no difference if I played it at 600p or 1440p. Turning on some extra features also didn't do anything FPS wise, except one of them introduced black boxes at random on my screen. Quite weird.

View PostCougar, on 04 August 2019 - 08:32 AM, said:

Are you playing realMyst Masterpiece? iirc it always ran fine for me in macOS. Windows was awful til I got my R5 2600. It's the trees on the island that really tank the frame rate for some reason.
Never had an issue with the controls.
Masterpiece edition yes.

I just had too many cases where I clicked one place because I expected to go in a specific direction, and the game was pre-coded to take me in another direction. Minor thing, but when you do it so many times, it becomes annoying.

#1869 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1677 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 04 August 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

5/5 A game worthy of its masterpiece recognition even back then, and should also be regarded as such now.

Myst is great, but the best part about it is when you’re done, you can move on to the real masterpiece, Riven. I can endorse the iOS version, and it got a macOS-compatible ScummVM port last year.

#1870 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4398 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:43 AM

View PostCougar, on 04 August 2019 - 07:08 PM, said:

Myst is great, but the best part about it is when you're done, you can move on to the real masterpiece, Riven. I can endorse the iOS version, and it got a macOS-compatible ScummVM port last year.
Riven was good.
Myst III was also good.
Myst IV I dont even recall for some reason...
Myst V I recall, but have mixed feelings on its quality because it did away with all the 'live acting' for '3d generated npcs'.... which, does not suit the series.

Overall, I enjoyed all 5 for what they are, a grand story. Also enjoyed the books, and for some small part, enjoyed Uru, even though that was one screwed up piece of weird popsnizzle.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#1871 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1677 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:15 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 05 August 2019 - 08:43 AM, said:

Riven was good.
Myst III was also good.
Myst IV I dont even recall for some reason...
Myst V I recall, but have mixed feelings on its quality because it did away with all the 'live acting' for '3d generated npcs'.... which, does not suit the series.

Overall, I enjoyed all 5 for what they are, a grand story. Also enjoyed the books, and for some small part, enjoyed Uru, even though that was one screwed up piece of weird popsnizzle.

I didn't like Myst III because there was no attempt to integrate the story with the puzzles, like was done so well in Riven.
IV was the one where you visit the brother's prison ages. That part of the game was good, then you go to a silly "dream age" and the game completely falls apart.
V was fine for what it was, but it was basically stuff that was going to be in Uru Live before it got canceled (hence the 3D characters) and it shows.
Uru has some creative ages, (Ahnonay is brilliant) but because it was a semi-mmo the plot isn't really there. And Yeesha is nuts.

I've recently started to re-read the books. Book of Atrus wasn't as good as I remember, but I enjoyed it. Book of Ti'ana was far and away my favorite, though.

#1872 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4398 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:19 AM

View PostCougar, on 05 August 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

I didn't like Myst III because there was no attempt to integrate the story with the puzzles, like was done so well in Riven.
IV was the one where you visit the brother's prison ages. That part of the game was good, then you go to a silly "dream age" and the game completely falls apart.
V was fine for what it was, but it was basically stuff that was going to be in Uru Live before it got canceled (hence the 3D characters) and it shows.
Uru has some creative ages, (Ahnonay is brilliant) but because it was a semi-mmo the plot isn't really there. And Yeesha is nuts.

I've recently started to re-read the books. Book of Atrus wasn't as good as I remember, but I enjoyed it. Book of Ti'ana was far and away my favorite, though.

I still hold hope for that mythical intangible 3rd book.

Ok, so IV had the dream age, and the only thing I liked about that was the travelling music by Peter Gabriel for it... which to this day I have not been able to get my hands on, and have long now forgotten what it even sounded like.

I think I liked 3 so much because of Brad Dourif... lol. I dont really recall the puzzles, just the story and him.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#1873 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1677 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:33 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 05 August 2019 - 09:19 AM, said:

I still hold hope for that mythical intangible 3rd book.

Fourth, but yes. ;) Rand Miller, on a AMA, said it's something he still wants to do eventually, it's a matter of finding the time...

I think I liked 3 so much because of Brad Dourif... lol. I dont really recall the puzzles, just the story and him.

He was the best thing about the game. Though when I replayed it recently I was struck how over-the-top he was at times. "NOOOOOOOO!"

Ok, so IV had the dream age, and the only thing I liked about that was the travelling music by Peter Gabriel for it... which to this day I have not been able to get my hands on, and have long now forgotten what it even sounded like.

Heh. That was one of the things I liked least about it. I liked the song, but it was so out of place in a Myst game. It's called Curtains.

#1874 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4398 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:05 AM

View PostCougar, on 05 August 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

Fourth, but yes. ;) Rand Miller, on a AMA, said it's something he still wants to do eventually, it's a matter of finding the time...

He was the best thing about the game. Though when I replayed it recently I was struck how over-the-top he was at times. "NOOOOOOOO!"

Heh. That was one of the things I liked least about it. I liked the song, but it was so out of place in a Myst game. It's called Curtains.

Yes, it WAS entirely out of place for Myst :D but the song was very nice!

Oh, and yes, 4th book... guh. I'm losen it.

-Fm [1oM7]

#1875 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2824 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

View PostCougar, on 05 August 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

{Dourif] was the best thing about the game. Though when I replayed it recently I was struck how over-the-top he was at times. "NOOOOOOOO!"

I agree. In his defense he was asked to do something rather unnatural there for an actor, which was to play out a scene reacting to whatever the user chose, then always end up back exactly where he started, collapsed and miserable, so that the user could try different things in any order.

Easier solutions would have been to have wrong choices kill you, or, don't give the player so many choices. (You see this in games where you usually have free agency, but in key moments you have to choose A, B, or C.) Neither of those are very Myst-like.

And surely much of the blame goes to the director. Maybe with the limited screen resolution they didn't think a subtle performance would work, or maybe they just were inexperienced with live acting in a computer game..

Not that Oscar winner Brad Dourif needs me to defend his acting chops. :-) But it is something I thought about at the time, since he was fine for most of the game, and even his 5 second-appearance in the Myst III trailer was memorable.
www.mindthecube.com

#1876 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

Fired up Starseed Pilgrim, played around for five minutes, gave up, went to Youtube to see what I was supposed to do, went back to game, played 2 minutes, quit, deleted the game, gave it a nice 'won't play' tag under the Rating column in my Numbers sheet.

From a Humble Bundle perhaps? Sure isn't something I would actively pay money for.

#1877 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1677 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:58 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 05 August 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

And surely much of the blame goes to the director. Maybe with the limited screen resolution they didn't think a subtle performance would work, or maybe they just were inexperienced with live acting in a computer game..

I don't give them any excuses. Cyan knocked it out of the park with Gehn, who was played by an unknown actor.

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 05 August 2019 - 11:32 AM, said:

Fired up Starseed Pilgrim, played around for five minutes, gave up, went to Youtube to see what I was supposed to do, went back to game, played 2 minutes, quit, deleted the game, gave it a nice 'won't play' tag under the Rating column in my Numbers sheet.

From a Humble Bundle perhaps? Sure isn't something I would actively pay money for.

I tried playing this for twenty minutes and gave up. The whole point is you're trying to figure out the game's mechanics, but it's just so obtuse. Jonathan Blow gushed about it on Twitter which is why I wanted to try it, but I think I am too dumb for it.

#1878 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:38 AM

View PostCougar, on 05 August 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

I tried playing this for twenty minutes and gave up. The whole point is you're trying to figure out the game's mechanics, but it's just so obtuse. Jonathan Blow gushed about it on Twitter which is why I wanted to try it, but I think I am too dumb for it.
I don't mind trying to figure out mechanics, but with a game this simple, and francly, not very attractive, I need something else going for it. The graphics are around what I used to play on my Magnavox Odyssey 2 console from the 80's.

#1879 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:05 PM

Little more than halfway (I think) through Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Very positive experience! Not at all like I thought it was, and much more immersive. Very nice mixture of action combat, exploration and puzzle solving. Game looks quite nice, and runs really well with all bells and whistles at 1440p on my 2011 iMac.

Story is very nice, and you really get down and dirty with some of Batmans best enemies. And some really nice voice acting to go. And so many secret to find, and background on characters. I am enjoying this very very much!

#1880 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1677 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:40 PM

Arkham Asylum was my favorite (only played the first two). Arkham City, while also fun, didn't have the same atmosphere and had too many collectibles. The story wasn't as tight either, with too many villains.