Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6088 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostJan, on 20 March 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

^ Well said. In terms of games, I'm always way behind the curve. I prefer to wait a year or two and buy the total package, usually without game-breaking bugs. Rare exception: Mass Effect 3. Bought the super deluxe special edition for like 100 $ on release date and it was the crappiest PS3 port ever with tons of bugs. Learned my lesson.
I will usually buy new if it's a game I'm fairly certain I'm going to love from a developer who has a great track record with me. Of course, that's not foolproof either, and I occasionally get burned badly.

Case in point, Modern Warfare 2 way back when "Call of Duty" meant COD 1-5 and I still loved the series, and then Gears of War Judgment yesterday, which so far has been a gigantic ball of "meh" to the point I'm thinking of eBaying it after the campaign. And I'm a huge Gears fan. Paid full price blind to get them on release day and then was like "WTF is this popsnizzle."
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#22 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

I really liked when I could get the Borderlands 1 GOY edition as soon as Borderlands was ported to get all the DLC too

#23 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

View Postchoiceweb0pen0, on 24 March 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

I really liked when I could get the Borderlands 1 GOY edition as soon as Borderlands was ported to get all the DLC too

I enjoyed completing DLC 4 on my Mac before it was out for PC or console... Now THAT was fun ;)

#24 NostalgiaLane

NostalgiaLane

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Steam Name:oSBKo
  • Steam ID:oSBKo

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

Downloading Now... Played it on PS3 back in the day, but I'm ready for another Codemasters racing fix.

#25 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostJaguarGod, on 28 March 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

Edwin, did you guys experience any problems with FFB with the G27 in testing? First off, I am sure you know I have the FFB kext installed and it works properly in my game, Dirt 2 and F1 2012.

I have a couple of problems... The game does not remember my control assignments when I restart or when I enter "Grid World" and the FFB is not working at all. I know you guys do not "technically" support FFB, but does it work in the game? Again, it is working fine in my game (Auto Sport Driving), Dirt 2 and F1 2012. But for some reason, not working at all in Grid.

On this system I am running 10.7.5.

Downloaded my MGS pre-order this morning and have been playing Grid for several hours today - it's good fun and well worth the money.

I do prefer F1 2012 overall because I'm a huge F1 fan and it's also closer to a simulation. Grid, however, being more arcade like is going to appeal to a wider audience.  

I'm on 10.8.3 with a Logitech Formula Force EX - I do get some feedback though the wheel but it is more shakes on rough surfaces rather than feeling the curbs or collisions. I also have the same issue with having to configure the controls when relaunching.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#26 Djevlen

Djevlen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Feral couldn't have picked a better racing game than Grid to port, as it fills a gap in the market for us mac gamers. As there isn't any arcade racing game out there, apart from Dirt 2 but thats more an arcade off-road racer and Grid is not.

I also think the game has aged pretty well and despite the low system requirements the game looks awesome!
Mid-2011 27' iMac:  i5 3.1Ghz 16gb ram 6970m 1gb 1tb HDD
2010 17' MBP i7 2.66Ghz 8gb ram GT330m512 320gb HDD
iPhone 5 Black 64gb
iPad 4 Black 64gb Wifi

#27 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

View Postmattw, on 28 March 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

Downloaded my MGS pre-order this morning and have been playing Grid for several hours today - it's good fun and well worth the money.

I do prefer F1 2012 overall because I'm a huge F1 fan and it's also closer to a simulation. Grid, however, being more arcade like is going to appeal to a wider audience.  

I'm on 10.8.3 with a Logitech Formula Force EX - I do get some feedback though the wheel but it is more shakes on rough surfaces rather than feeling the curbs or collisions. I also have the same issue with having to configure the controls when relaunching.

Yeah, I fixed the FFB problem on my G27. But it was strange. But I am still having the control assignments save problem. Having to re-map the controls every time I start the game is a bit of an annoyance.

It is nice though being able to turn everything on as high as it can go and getting very good frame rates ;)
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#28 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:27 AM

View PostJaguarGod, on 28 March 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

I am still having the control assignments save problem. Having to re-map the controls every time I start the game is a bit of an annoyance.

I think this might be down to using the hacked kext files etc as we cannot reproduce it here. Can you PM or email be exact step by step (preferably with screenshots) of what you are doing?

We can then see if we can reproduce it here.

tx

Edwin

#29 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 02 April 2013 - 04:27 AM, said:

I think this might be down to using the hacked kext files etc as we cannot reproduce it here. Can you PM or email be exact step by step (preferably with screenshots) of what you are doing?

We can then see if we can reproduce it here.

tx

Edwin
I will PM when I am home from work later tonight.

#30 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Also Edwin, the kext file is not hacked at all. it is the same kext that was in 10.6. You just use a kext installer to install it. That's all. Very simple and no hacking the kext. I am not sure why the re-installation of the kext would cause this problem, but hopefully you can see if it is. Without FFB, I could not use a wheel in any of my racing games for Mac. It is just not the same and ruins the experience as far as I am concerned.

EDIT: Emailed all the information and appropriate files.

#31 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostJaguarGod, on 02 April 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Also Edwin, the kext file is not hacked at all. it is the same kext that was in 10.6. You just use a kext installer to install it. That's all. Very simple and no hacking the kext. I am not sure why the re-installation of the kext would cause this problem, but hopefully you can see if it is. Without FFB, I could not use a wheel in any of my racing games for Mac. It is just not the same and ruins the experience as far as I am concerned.

EDIT: Emailed all the information and appropriate files.

Thanks by hacked I mean the literal sense as in it has been hacked into Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. That's all :)

Edwin

#32 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

View Postedddeduck, on 02 April 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

Thanks by hacked I mean the literal sense as in it has been hacked into Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. That's all :)

Edwin
Gotcha! I did think that after I posted, but figured maybe you thought I was hacking the kext file itself. I hope this is not causing an issue as that would really suck. I love FFB and the games you guys release are just so much better with it.

#33 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

I've also sent a reply to Feral support - hopefully the FFB kernel extension isn't the cause, but like Jason I'd put up with reconfiguring the controls every time in order to keep the Force Feedback. I really can't get used to driving with keys, a joystick or a gamepad....

Anyway if Logitech can't be bothered to update the software maybe they could be talked into letting you take it over? It is after all more hardware sales for them. Failing that are there any of the other peripheral manufacturers open to developing or allowing Feral to develop Force Feedback support?

It make sense with a regular supply of racing titles now appearing - I do like my Logitech wheels (and mouse and speakers) but at the end of the day I'd buy a different brand if they were supporting OS X and Logitech aren't.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#34 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

@Mattw
I would also buy any of the other wheels out there either from Thrustmaster or Fanatec if they supported OSX. But in conversations I have had through email with both of those companies, that is not something that is going to happen anytime soon. Certain Fanatec wheels have a PS3 mode which is supposed to let the wheel be recognized as a Logitech wheel, but it has not worked for me on OSX as of yet with any of their wheels. Thrustmaster makes the T500 RS which is one of my favorite wheels especially with the Ferrari wheel rim. Fanatec makes the Clubsport wheel base with the F1 wheel rim that is absolutely fantastic. These wheels work somewhat with Mac, but again with no FFB.

Edwin has stated that it would be possible for a developer to third-party the drivers needed for the hardware. But it would be ideal (in my opinion) for the manufacturer to support the wheel with software directly. This may never happen. Until then, we have our Logitech Momo's, DFGT's and G27's to keep us in the game. Without FFB, I cannot play the game and my laptimes turn to crap.

#35 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostJaguarGod, on 02 April 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

Without FFB, I cannot play the game and my laptimes turn to crap.

I know what you mean. When I get a racing game I switch the view to cockpit, turn off all the driver aids and start from there but you need to feel something and without the sensations you body feels in the real world FFB is the only thing you have to work with.

It's really frustrating to finally have a small library of racing titles arrive again only for peripheral manufactures to no longer be interested...

#36 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

View Postmattw, on 03 April 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

I know what you mean. When I get a racing game I switch the view to cockpit, turn off all the driver aids and start from there but you need to feel something and without the sensations you body feels in the real world FFB is the only thing you have to work with.

It's really frustrating to finally have a small library of racing titles arrive again only for peripheral manufactures to no longer be interested...

One of the first things I did as an intern at Feral was get Logitech and Apple to support FFB on OS X. F1 2000 was the first ever game to support FFB on the Mac. So I have been round the entire loop once and I am sure I will be here for the next loop ;)

Edwin

#37 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

FFB ? what am I missing here...

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#38 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

ForceFeedBack.

--Eric

#39 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

Well that makes the whole two pages of the conversation clearer. HEH.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#40 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 04 April 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

Well that makes the whole two pages of the conversation clearer. HEH.
I have been using the abbreviation "FFB" for so many years that I forget a lot of people have no idea what it stands for! Sorry about my part in all of this.