Jump to content


Movies- Good and Bad


  • Please log in to reply
749 replies to this topic

#1 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:26 PM

Well I just saw PiratesOTC End of the World and my critique- yawn. Some people actually clapped at the end which is everyone's right.

However the night was not a total loss as I saw previews for two movies with what appears to be heart pounding, big screen action- the new Die Hard and Transformers. Transformers looked like it could be incredible, but I won't be able to say it's truly incredible until I see it.

#2 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts
  • Location:California

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:48 PM

die hard has always been my favorite movie. i cant wait to see the new one.

#3 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

    NSFW o_O

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts
  • Location:pingas

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:59 PM

Naruto The Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow.
What is a man?

#4 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts
  • Location:California

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:29 PM

look, i know im going to get major flak, but i HATE anime movies.

#5 Hansi

Hansi

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:34 AM

View PostHuntn, on May 26th 2007, 04:26 AM, said:

Well I just saw PiratesOTC End of the World and my critique- yawn. Some people actually clapped at the end which is everyone's right.

However the night was not a total loss as I saw previews for two movies with what appears to be heart pounding, big screen action- the new Die Hard and Transformers. Transformers looked like it could be incredible, but I won't be able to say it's truly incredible until I see it.


I don't see why so many people disliked Pirates 3, I thought it was a great watch, maybe a tad long and had a few plot holes but I loved the other two and this one as well. But then again people that clap at the end of movies are assholes, who are you clapping for? The projector?

I look forward to seeing both Die Hard and Transformers but I'm just afraid that Transformers will rely to much on just special effects and the story will end up sucking. It seems to be based on a recent Transformers comic book series instead of the original story (with the government working on reprogramming Megatron and the whole kids and Bucky thing). I also saw the trailer to The Bourne Ultimatum which I've been looking forward too since number two came out, Matt Damon is just ridiculously good in those movies.

#6 teflon

teflon

    Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:39 AM

View PostHansi, on May 26th 2007, 09:34 AM, said:

I also saw the trailer to The Bourne Ultimatum which I've been looking forward too since number two came out, Matt Damon is just ridiculously good in those movies.

not a patch on the books though... those were and are in fact just pure brilliance.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#7 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

    Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:22 AM

View PostHansi, on May 26th 2007, 06:34 PM, said:

who are you clapping for? The projector?


Yeah fire trucking hell i hate people like that.

okay, when i went to see 300, this bitch next to me kept like leaning forward and staring at my friend because we were discussing the similarities between Miller's version and snyders. anyways we laughed at the sex scene... you know the ridiculous looking How on earth did they know that position back then sex scene. well we laughed at that, she leaned foreward stared, and was like "How Rude!".

Bitch

anyways, later on in the movie, when leoniadas is killed and there is a shot of all the 300's corpses. SHE fire truckING LAUGHED! BITCH! i couldve killed her right then and there...but i waited till after the movie.

this is a smaller but worse situation. i bought a packet of Kettle Chilli Chips, probably one of my favourate indulgence foods in the world, for when i went to see Pans Labyrinth. we got in the cinema late, and then we were re-located because some asshole couldnt fit in his seat or some popsnizzle. anyways as the usher was showing us to our seats, the new bitch who i was sitting next to gives me this sharp "Prepare for hell" look in the eye and goes "SHHH!"
okay why was this bad?

1. its not my fault that i was being re-located

2. The fire trucking movie was only on the Preduction Promotions

so i sat down started enjoying the most compelling movie i had seen in a while, when BAM! hunger hits...oh i have Chips.
i started opening the chips but it turns out it was a really stiff, pre-oiled, loud fire trucking packet of chips. about 5 seconds into my attempt to open them i get ano-"SHHHH!"
fire trucking bitch told me to shutup again. so i had a tension filled viewing that night. i waited until the large action filled parts to attempt to open them. then i had to wait till loud bits to start eating them

Hell.

if you are a horrible Moviegoer...i will kill you
:happy:          :glare:
:lol:                :angry:
:bleedingeyes:            :lol:

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1


#8 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:57 AM

View PostLemon Lime, on May 26th 2007, 12:29 AM, said:

look, i know im going to get major flak, but i HATE anime movies.

Honestly I'm not a fan either but I acknowledge they are cutting edge animation. I just read a review of an animated Japanese film called Papurika which will be hard for me to ignore.

View PostHansi, on May 26th 2007, 03:34 AM, said:

I don't see why so many people disliked Pirates 3, I thought it was a great watch, maybe a tad long and had a few plot holes but I loved the other two and this one as well. But then again people that clap at the end of movies are assholes, who are you clapping for? The projector?

Since there are no actors to receive your accolades it's your public announcement that you approve, but you knew that. ;) I don't have a problem with it so I would not relegate them to "asshole" status, but I don't do it (clap) even if I'm crazy over a movie. When it is a truly great movie, when I've just witnessed genius, I usually just sit there and have an emotional response getting all teary eyed with joy. Something along the lines of the BIG battle in LOTR:Return of the King- The most cinematic battle I've ever witnessed and incredible despite being mostly CGI. The blend of real actors into CGI was perfection imo. :D

I like Johnny Depp but I never really liked Jack Sparrow, not because of his mannerisms, but because he felt really shallow to me, a caricature, and not really worth saving although I realize that most of the people who wanted to save him had ulterior motives. Overall I'd describe it as a big slick Hollywood production without a soul.  My favorite character was Capt Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush). My heart lifted when he appeared at the end of the second movie.


View PostHansi, on May 26th 2007, 03:34 AM, said:

I look forward to seeing both Die Hard and Transformers but I'm just afraid that Transformers will rely to much on just special effects and the story will end up sucking. It seems to be based on a recent Transformers comic book series instead of the original story (with the government working on reprogramming Megatron and the whole kids and Bucky thing). I also saw the trailer to The Bourne Ultimatum which I've been looking forward too since number two came out, Matt Damon is just ridiculously good in those movies.

Yeah, I'm always concerned about special effects enhancing the experience vs taking over. We just saw Flags of Our Fathers on DVD and while I did not like the movie (too disjointed), this is the kind of movie where special effects enhance the movie and not take it over. I don't know if the aircraft shots from the cockpit were real or CGI (I assume the latter) but they felt incredibly real if they weren't down to the vibrations.

For anyone who does not know, Transformers is live action (not animated) and heavily dosed in CGI.

I liked Matt Damon. I loved the first Bourne book- The Bourne Idenity. The Bourne movies are o.k. but somehow not quite what I pictured in my mind. BTW if you read and like the Bourne stories, it would be worth your while to look up two books by Trevanian- Shibumi and The Eiger Sanction both are great reads if you enjoy that style of story telling and subject matter.

#9 The Liberator

The Liberator

    Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:25 AM

View PostHansi, on May 26th 2007, 06:34 PM, said:

...I also saw the trailer to The Bourne Ultimatum which I've been looking forward too since number two came out, Matt Damon is just ridiculously good in those movies.
I have also anticipated the 3rd Bourne film. partially because the 3rd bourne book is my 2nd favourite book and also cause I really like th other 2 films (and books).

View PostHansi, on May 26th 2007, 06:34 PM, said:

...But then again people that clap at the end of movies are assholes, who are you clapping for? The projector?...
I second that motion; also like AMG said...

View Postaussiemacgamer, on May 26th 2007, 08:22 PM, said:

Yeah Fu cking hell i hate people like that.

("aussiemacgamer" goes on about being a the cinemas...)
I know exactly how you feel. The pain, oh the pain  :bleedingeyes:

Liberator.

P.S. Who else feels the same way?

Edited by The Liberator, 26 May 2007 - 08:36 PM.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM


We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State


#10 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts
  • Location:California

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:02 AM

View PostHuntn, on May 26th 2007, 04:57 AM, said:

Honestly I'm not a fan either but I acknowledge they are cutting edge animation. I just read a review of an animated Japanese film called Papurika which will be hard for me to ignore.
isn't that the stuff that my dad rubs our steaks with before we put thim on the grill?

#11 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

    NSFW o_O

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts
  • Location:pingas

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

View PostHuntn, on May 26th 2007, 06:57 AM, said:

Honestly I'm not a fan either but I acknowledge they are cutting edge animation.

Which explains why you have that Ice Age avatar. Eversince Akira and Steamboy I have yet to find a truely amazing anime flim.

View PostHuntn, on May 26th 2007, 06:57 AM, said:

I just read a review of an animated Japanese film called Papurika which will be hard for me to ignore.

I haven't seen that film yet, heard it was interesting, when I get around to it I'll watch it. The flims 1 year old BTW in case you haven't notice.
What is a man?

#12 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts
  • Location:Not here; not there; not anywhere!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:28 PM

Frankly, I think they should have stopped after the first Pirates - yes, I did watch the last one, yesterday. The sequels are too much of the same and not nearly as good.

I'm actually looking forward to Transformers. I could care less how much it has to do with the original comic/cartoon. I've never cared much about that on any comic-book base movie, anyways. I simply judge a movie on its own merit. I certainly wouldn't mind if Transformers ended up being an all-out action brawl. It's been a long time since I last had the pleasure of experiencing a good mindless action movie.

Not too thrilled about the upcoming Die Hard flick. The action sequences looked good, but if those lame lines as previewed in the trailers are any indication they just might ruin the fun for me.

Bourne Ultimatum looks like it'll be good. I was pleasantly surprised by the first two, so here's to hoping.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to Ratatouille. Pixar + Brad Bird = good fun. Although, I'm sure some of you may disagree.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#13 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:13 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on May 26th 2007, 11:02 AM, said:

isn't that the stuff that my dad rubs our steaks with before we put thim on the grill?

Maybe, but it's spelled slightly differently. What it means in this case, I don't know.

View PostIchigo27, on May 26th 2007, 01:01 PM, said:

Which explains why you have that Ice Age avatar. Eversince Akira and Steamboy I have yet to find a truely amazing anime flim.
I haven't seen that film yet, heard it was interesting, when I get around to it I'll watch it. The flims 1 year old BTW in case you haven't notice.

I did notice and also that it is not available for rent... least not from Netflix. I would not buy it without first viewing.

View PostPegasus, on May 26th 2007, 01:28 PM, said:

I'm actually looking forward to Transformers. I could care less how much it has to do with the original comic/cartoon. I've never cared much about that on any comic-book base movie, anyways. I simply judge a movie on its own merit. I certainly wouldn't mind if Transformers ended up being an all-out action brawl. It's been a long time since I last had the pleasure of experiencing a good mindless action movie.

Transformers, the preview looked awesome from an action standpoint. I assume Ratatouille will also be a good movie as I've seen most of the Pixar movies only disliking Cars...

#14 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

    NSFW o_O

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts
  • Location:pingas

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

View PostHuntn, on May 26th 2007, 08:13 PM, said:

I did notice and also that it is not available for rent... least not from Netflix. I would not buy it without first viewing.

Theirs a dvd NTSC release of  Papurika? From what I was informed it's out only by limited release for theaters in New York, and the 1st of June in LA?

Viewing the trailer Ratatouille, and my experiences in the past forced to watch other Pixar movies with my family I am yet again questioned by the lack of creativity and substance that Pixar has to offer. Another immature CGI movie if you ask me.
What is a man?

#15 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:10 PM

View PostIchigo27, on May 26th 2007, 10:10 PM, said:

Theirs a dvd NTSC release of  Papurika? From what I was informed it's out only by limited release for theaters in New York, and the 1st of June in LA?

Viewing the trailer Ratatouille, and my experiences in the past forced to watch other Pixar movies with my family I am yet again questioned by the lack of creativity and substance that Pixar has to offer. Another immature CGI movie if you ask me.

I don't think there is a DvD release of Papurika.

You mean you did not like Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Incredibles?? Shocking!

#16 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:08 AM

View PostLemon Lime, on May 25th 2007, 10:29 PM, said:

look, i know im going to get major flak, but i HATE anime movies.

Nah, I'm the same. Of course I'm souless, think RPGs are mostly crap, rarely watch cartoons, dislike comic book movies (including the new Batman) and maintain that Gran Turismo is a boring game. Ironically I had an ex-GF who watched Anime. Didn't know it until a few weeks in. I never watched one with her.

Something about Japanese story telling rubs me the wrong way, its ripe with archetypes that are so entrenched that it rarely seems anything more than clichés that hardly mean anything to me. If you hop across the pond, the asian major produces fine films ask me, I'm a sucker for the art house kung-fu flicks (Crouching Tiger, Hero, House of Flying Daggers etc) that at least bend the archetypes and do not stand on them alone but the Japanese? Eh... Can't tell a story, and more japanese RPGs are awful. Every japanese RPG you have played: Orphan hero in early teens, often amnesiac, the chosen one, obligatory casino, major flashback sequence, maybe fishing, romance interest that is very innocent as the effeminate male lead often seems to be struggling to find his own sexual identity as he exhibits bashful behavior and seemingly resists the love pursuit until he half hearted convinced of his orientation, bad guy is taping into a lifeforce, lastly rediscovered the old technology or ancient practices. I could go on but its more about movies than cliché RPGs. So yeah, that'll get flak but its just how I honestly feel.


I saw spiderman and it was crap. I'll skip Transformers, never saw Pirates of Caribbean 2 (Liked the first but figured it didn't need sequels) but I do wanna see Knocked Up, and am curious about Ocean's 13 and kinda wanna see Bourne Ultimatum even if they killed the books.
the IMG audio guy...

#17 No One

No One

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts
  • Location:Hilbert's Hotel

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:28 AM

View PostHuntn, on May 26th 2007, 10:10 PM, said:

You mean you did not like Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Incredibles?? Shocking!

I really liked the Incredibles. Fun movie. The whole "NO CAPES!" thing really got me laughing.

#18 teflon

teflon

    Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:56 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on May 26th 2007, 02:25 PM, said:

I have also anticipated the 3rd Bourne film. partially because the 3rd bourne book is my 2nd favourite book and also cause I really like th other 2 films (and books).

personally, the first Bourne book is the best, cos it manages to capture all that cold war type paranoia and spy games without actually being about the cold war. Then the third book is better than the second, though to be fair, the whole trilogy is just one long non-stop action thriller which i would recommend to anyone.

View PostPegasus, on May 26th 2007, 07:28 PM, said:

Frankly, I think they should have stopped after the first Pirates - yes, I did watch the last one, yesterday. The sequels are too much of the same and not nearly as good.

i find it amusing how the second film had almost the exact same structure as the first film, which in itself could easily have been half the length that it was...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#19 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:49 AM

View PostIchigo27, on May 26th 2007, 01:01 PM, said:

Which explains why you have that Ice Age avatar.

I've only seen one japanese GCI animated movie called Final Fantasy-The Sprits Within (which was a joint Japanese/U.S. venture), don't know if it qualifies as anime, but it is technically light years ahead of your average kids animated movie and an incredible movie btw. pic, pic2, pic3, pic4, pic5, pic6

#20 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

    NSFW o_O

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts
  • Location:pingas

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:12 PM

View PostHuntn, on May 27th 2007, 08:49 AM, said:

I've only seen one japanese GCI animated movie called Final Fantasy-The Sprits Within (which was a joint Japanese/U.S. venture), don't know if it qualifies as anime, but it is technically light years ahead of your average kids animated movie and an incredible movie btw.

In that case I persume you haven't watch final fantasy VII advent children or as I call it Kaena: The Prophecy on crack, cause AC pwns Sprits Within altogether. It tells a better story, the animation and dynamics is near perfect, and the graphical quality(while slighty lower quality then Spirits Within) put into the semi low bugget flim is incredible. It's amazing what a company can do with 40 people as oppose to 200 man powered team to create sheer crap.
What is a man?