151 replies to this topic

#1 teamturbo_2000

teamturbo_2000

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

Anyone on this board have firearms for hunting, practice, or defence?  Reason I ask is I'm possibly interested in getting a Glock 17 for those backpacking / camping trips I take in the summer.  My brother has a .45 he takes when camping up in Washington.  It packs a kick with the magnum rounds and is good against black bears.  I'm sure there's someone here who packs....
My Setup
iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo (2.16)
2 Gigs Ram
7600 GT 256MB Graphics Card
Blue Toothed Keyboard & Mighty Mouse

#2 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:12 PM

I pack some serious heat, but not a firearm. In fact I think it's illegal to own one in Japan.

#3 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:16 PM

Ya don't have one? A sword is the way to go. :cool2:
What is a man?

#4 teamturbo_2000

teamturbo_2000

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:21 PM

View PostIchigo27, on November 19th 2006, 07:16 PM, said:

Ya don't have one? A sword is the way to go. :cool2:

Who would win?  A bad ass Samurai or a big bear?  That would be a cool fight.
My Setup
2 Gigs Ram

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:31 PM

I have a Ruger KP89C 9MM pistol for home defense, target shooting and I take it camping for protection against black bears and mountain lions.  

For home defense I load Federal 115 Gr. Hi-Shok jacketed hollow points.  Hard on home invaders, easy on the neighbors.

For plinking and target shooting I load UMC 115 Gr. Full metal jacket.  Cheap and reliable shooting.

For camping I load Winchester 147 Gr. Subsonic Deep Penetrator Jacketed hollow points designed to shoot through car doors.  If that bear comes at me in a HUMVEE, I'll be ready for it!  Actually, I'm looking into buying a .44 Magnum to take camping.  The 9mm is mostly for the noise it can produce.  That thing is LOUD!!  It's for when banging pots and pans together doesn't cut it, but it would take some expert shooting to kill a bear with it and I wouldn't try unless it was absolutely necessary.  Still it's better than beating my tiny human fists against its big hairy chest.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:41 PM

I have a 30-30 lever action rifle, a .270 mountain rifle & a 12 semi-auto gauge Ted Williams special edition shotgun, all for hunting, but the shotgun could easily be used for self defense  :D

#7 teamturbo_2000

teamturbo_2000

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on November 19th 2006, 07:31 PM, said:

I have a Ruger KP89C 9MM pistol for home defense, target shooting and I take it camping for protection against black bears and mountain lions.  

For home defense I load Federal 115 Gr. Hi-Shok jacketed hollow points.  Hard on home invaders, easy on the neighbors.

For plinking and target shooting I load UMC 115 Gr. Full metal jacket.  Cheap and reliable shooting.

For camping I load Winchester 147 Gr. Subsonic Deep Penetrator Jacketed hollow points designed to shoot through car doors.  If that bear comes at me in a HUMVEE, I'll be ready for it!  Actually, I'm looking into buying a .44 Magnum to take camping.  The 9mm is mostly for the noise it can produce.  That thing is LOUD!!  It's for when banging pots and pans together doesn't cut it, but it would take some expert shooting to kill a bear with it and I wouldn't try unless it was absolutely necessary.  Still it's better than beating my tiny human fists against its big hairy chest.

Wow...tbc is ready for war.

Yeah, I'm basically looking for general protection from mountain lions and bears.  9mm will mostly piss off a black bear.  I want it because it's low on recoil.  The other reason why I want to pack a 9mm is to protect myself from some unwanted people.  

My mom goes on this annual trip every fall to Toas New Mexico with my younger sisters.  They were in a very remote part of Rio Grande Canyon park and were approached by 2 males in the canyon who where high on methamphetamines. (Judging by their very anxious and jittery behavior.)  Long story short, my mom thought that they were about to be all murdered and got the hell out of there.  Few days later, she was watching local TV in the hotel and regonized one of the men being arrested for illegal weapons and drugs.  People on meth = very dangerous, very easily aggravated, and irrational.  All alone in the wild with one = bad.
My Setup
2 Gigs Ram

#8 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:56 PM

View Postteamturbo_2000, on November 19th 2006, 08:21 PM, said:

Who would win?  A bad ass Samurai or a big bear?  That would be a cool fight.

Soul Reaper would win against a big bear. :cool2:
What is a man?

#9 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:17 PM

View Postteamturbo_2000, on November 19th 2006, 05:44 PM, said:

Wow...tbc is ready for war.

i wouldn't expect anything less

#10 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:09 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on November 19th 2006, 09:17 PM, said:

i wouldn't expect anything less

Question is can he take on the ''Soul Society''? I heard that place is loaded with all kinds of crap.  :unsure:
What is a man?

#11 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

Uhh, yeah, of course he could, he doesn't take T-Minus 15.193792102158E+9 years to power up and shoot someone, unlike anime characters.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#12 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:27 PM

View PostAskilfeasd, on November 19th 2006, 10:22 PM, said:

Uhh, yeah, of course he could, he doesn't take T-Minus 15.193792102158E+9 years to power up and shoot someone, unlike anime characters.

No he would probaly do it the way Rocky did.
What is a man?

#13 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:54 PM

For Extreme Fun Target Shooting, fighting off zombie invasions, and living by the Colonial American ideal of a rifle on every mantlepiece, I've got a pre-ban Colt AR-15a2 Delta HBAR rifle using a range of ammo, but mostly greentip 62-grain 5.56mm steel core M855 FMJ rounds.

For self/home defense and as a sidearm when travelling or transporting expensive materials, a Beretta M9 pistol. Usually use 124-grain 9mm M882 FMJ rounds with it.

When I'm in civvie mode and concealed carrying, a Beretta 9000S Type F compact. Usually use 147-grain 9mm JHP rounds.

I also have a Ruger Mark I Standard .22LR target shooting pistol I got from my parents that they bought back in the 70's, and a Mauser P.08 Luger my grandpa brought home from the European Theatre in WWII and passed down to me after his death.

Main reason I got the M9 and AR-15 is for practice on my own time. Nothing like qualifying expert without even trying because you own the standard US weaponry. :D

That and I just love both of them.

You can see all of them together except the Mark I here. And again without the Luger.

I'm thinking of adding a Cx4 Storm carbine to the collection sometime in the next year too. Friend in law enforcement introduced me to them and after I shot one I was hooked.

(Oh yeah, I'm a Texan. There's your explanation in case you were raising an eyebrow at the arsenal. We've graduated from six-shooters and Sharp's rifles)

As far as your Glocks go, tt, I'd just say be sure and check everything that's out there before making your purchase. The Glock fad isn't all it's made out to be. They're good weapons, but their ergonomics get a giant "eh" from me and the lack of a manual safety? Big meh on that too. You can say you and carefulness are all the safety you need, but the fact remains it was a police officer who became the poster boy for criticism of Glock safeties (or lack thereof) when he shot himself in the foot during a demonstration when drawing his weapon from his holster.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#14 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:55 AM

Guns :blink: Lots of guns :blink:

#15 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 01:07 AM

Who on earth would let the Battle Cat buy guns?
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#16 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:08 AM

excactly the question people should be asking their state's :cool:  :bleedingeyes: AHHHH MY EYES! :bleedingeyes: hehehehe cool who put this one on here :cool:

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#17 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:07 AM

View Postteamturbo_2000, on November 19th 2006, 07:27 PM, said:

Anyone on this board have firearms for hunting, practice, or defence?  Reason I ask is I'm possibly interested in getting a Glock 17 for those backpacking / camping trips I take in the summer.  My brother has a .45 he takes when camping up in Washington.  It packs a kick with the magnum rounds and is good against black bears.  I'm sure there's someone here who packs....

Black bears or grizzlies?

I've got a Nylon 66 22.  My brother got it for me when I graduated high school, about 23 years ago.  It hasn't been shot for some time.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:17 AM

View PostFrost, on November 19th 2006, 09:54 PM, said:

As far as your Glocks go, tt, I'd just say be sure and check everything that's out there before making your purchase. The Glock fad isn't all it's made out to be. They're good weapons, but their ergonomics get a giant "eh" from me and the lack of a manual safety? Big meh on that too. You can say you and carefulness are all the safety you need, but the fact remains it was a police officer who became the poster boy for criticism of Glock safeties (or lack thereof) when he shot himself in the foot during a demonstration when drawing his weapon from his holster.
What I like about this KP89C is the combination of safety and triggering mechanism.  The first shot is double action followed by single action firing.  This way I can leave the safety on and have a round in the chamber, all I need to do is to thumb the safety off, double action the first shot then single action the remaining rounds.  

Although there seems to be a popular following, carrying the M1911 styled autoloaders locked and cocked seems suicidal to me.  The act of locking my KP89C de-cocks it, sparing me that temptation.  I loved my service issued M1911, but I wouldn't buy one, it takes too much work to get the first shot off if carried in a sane manner.  If I were to go .45 cal I'd get a similar safety setup to my Ruger.  I'm not familiar with the safety system of the Glock 17, but from what Frost says, I wouldn't carry a weapon without a comprehensive safety system.  It just takes one mistake.  

Whatever weapon you decide on, get some training with it and practice a lot until if feels like second nature to handle it.  It has been so long since I shopped for a pistol that I have no idea what is currently on the market, but there is no 9mm that is going to be very effective against a black bear.  If black bears are your main concern, a .44 magnum revolver will serve you well.  If it's people you are worried about then any modern pistol will most likely suffice as the presence of a firearm, without a shot being fired, prevents crime in many instances.  But you should always think safety first.  That's why you want the pistol in the first place right?  To protect yourself and your loved ones?  Can't very well protect them if the damn thing goes off drawing it.

Also one thing to keep in mind, a revolver is much simpler to use and maintain than an autoloader.  If you are new to firearms, get a revolver that suits your needs and lots of training.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 teamturbo_2000

teamturbo_2000

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:07 AM

Well, the main reason I'm debating on a Glock 17 is its high quality and simplicity.  I guess I don't want a gun specific to stopping bears, instead, something that I could take to a local firing range and become proficient in.  I want a 9mm for low recoil and medium stopping power.  Price for one is around 600 bucks which is a little high on a standard service pistol.

It is true, the Glock has no manual safety system.  All Glocks feature the "safe action" system which consists of 2 internal safety mechanisms that prevent discharge, and the other being a release lever, directly on the trigger.  It think it's similar to a hand grip safety system.  Personally, I like the idea of a weapon being instantly ready if it needs to be drawn.  Since you should always assume a weapon is loaded, a mechanical trigger safety feature is less important than internal safety features.

To swich gears here......

If you want to kill a bear, aim well, you only got one shot  :D

My Setup
2 Gigs Ram

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:31 AM

View Postteamturbo_2000, on November 20th 2006, 08:07 AM, said:

To swich gears here......
If you want to kill a bear, aim well, you only got one shot  :D

Criminy!  You might be better off if you gave that pistol to the bear, then picked it back up once the bear is unconscious.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat