170 replies to this topic

#1 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:20 PM

Well today I played a 360. Thats right folks the real deal. I was able to play Call of Duty 2, Kameo and saw a demo of Gears of War. My impression is I am not impressed. Now before you guys start in with the fanboy crap let me say I am buying one. (well my friend is buying me one). Its a cool system but the graphics were not what I thought they would be. The full screen anti aliasing  wasn't all that good at all. I saw a lot of jaggies in Cod2 and GOW. GOW was really bad. Some of the players looked like Riddick. By the way I played it on a 20" Samsung HDTV LCD. Kameo was the only game that impressed me. Guys I only had about an hour on this thing and I was kind of let down.

I am going to buy one but prepare to be somewhat disappointed. Of course this is only the first generation! I cant wait to see Halo 3 and Splinter Cell 4! If you guys have any questions ask. Oh one last thing it was small!  :D
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#2 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:24 PM

Welcome to like 4 weeks ago! ;)
But yeah, I kind of came away neutral on the whole COD2 demo.  Kameo and PGR3 are the two games i already have (just need the console to play them on now) and I know I won't be let down with those.  It's all about gameplay folks.

#3 Stop, Drop, and Roll

Stop, Drop, and Roll

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:48 PM

Maybe your TV wasn't good enough?

#4 Stop, Drop, and Roll

Stop, Drop, and Roll

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:54 PM

You get better graphics on a Plasma.

#5 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:57 PM

to be fair, gears of war, although well into dev isnt finished yet by a long shot. theres still plenty of work to be done on it optimising and other such things. And despite that the screen was HDTV, not a vast number of people are going to play in HDTV for a while yet (at least not in the UK) so I wouldnt be too worried about that yet. And Kameo was shifted to the xbox360 years ago. theyve had far far far longer working on it for next gen than almost any other company.

And yeah, youre right. these are the first wave of games to come out. things can still improve drastically.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#6 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:39 PM

MacProject, on November 20th 2005, 06:24 PM, said:

Welcome to like 4 weeks ago! ;)
But yeah, I kind of came away neutral on the whole COD2 demo.  Kameo and PGR3 are the two games i already have (just need the console to play them on now) and I know I won't be let down with those.  It's all about gameplay folks.

View Post

You played Kameo 4 weeks ago? How about PGR3? Four weeks ago also?

:huh:
The Mail Man Cometh!

#7 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

Look in OT for multiple 360 topics.

If you saw jaggies, it was likely mis-set (a lot of demo kiosks are like that). I saw the CoD2 pre-release demo 3 weeks ago and it was t3h smooth, tho underwhelming in some other ways. Still, it was pre-release, and I too wonder what this is doing in General. Fasten seatbelts?

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6175 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:22 PM

My bet's been on the PS3 for a while... still there. If the 360 gives me something really cool I might bite the bullet, but if it's anything like the Xbox I'll be perfectly happy sticking with Sony. My only gripe has been the PS2's lack of eye candy compared to the Xbox, but I'm betting the situation will be reversed this time, so one less reason.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:41 PM

The only game I was really looking forward to was Oblivion and they put that back so I'll wait a while longer.

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:03 PM

Mail Man, snag a copy of Stubbs then play it on that 360 and write me up a review.  I'll put it on wideloadgames.org.  Meanwhile, Please move you seats and tray tables into the upright position because we will be landing in Off Topic momentarily.  At this time I'll be collecting the drinks, pr0n and little pillows.  Will the smokers please leave the lavatories and return to your seats.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:23 PM

all set to go tBC.

i cant stand sony... as ive said several times. and i might just buy an xbox360 to play all the good supported old games, probably getting them all second hand off ebay so that MS dont get any of my precious money :) then well see what first rate games come out... also ill wait till the price drops, so late summer/next chritmas. id also be interested in seeing how many full price games MS need you to buy in order to break even, then go up to that limit and no further... see? im cunning and ruthless!!! have that MS!!!!!!!!!

oh and im looking forward to Ghost Recon3, PDZ, PGR3, Halo3, CoD2, kameo, saints row, GoW, UT2007, and Q4

and for me its more gameplay, ive been playing games on min spec for years now, a eyecandy increase will be nice, but not essential.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#12 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:27 PM

the Battle Cat, on November 20th 2005, 09:03 PM, said:

Mail Man, snag a copy of Stubbs then play it on that 360 and write me up a review.  I'll put it on wideloadgames.org.  Meanwhile, Please move you seats and tray tables into the upright position because we will be landing in Off Topic momentarily.  At this time I'll be collecting the drinks, pr0n and little pillows.  Will the smokers please leave the lavatories and return to your seats.

View Post

I guess your right about off topic. I wasn't sure were this would go. Anyways my moneys on the 360 due to so many damn PS2 lies. Also all that darn trash talking Sony did a while back was just in bad taste if you ask me. I love games but when a CEO starts trashing the competitor it says inferior product. I am not saying that the PS3 will be inferior but the PS2 damn sure wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

By the way Frost what didn't you like about the old xbox?
The Mail Man Cometh!

#13 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:30 PM

I played it at a local walmart the other day. Call of Duty 2 demo was allright but it didn't look that great and the control were poor. As for Kameo I liked it, I really want to buy it when I get a 360.
What is a man?

#14 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:26 PM

The Mail Man, on November 20th 2005, 06:39 PM, said:

You played Kameo 4 weeks ago? How about PGR3? Four weeks ago also?

:huh:

View Post

The demo pods have been in some stores since late October.  Kameo, COD2, and King Kong have all been playable in demo form since then.  I haven't played PGR3 yet, but I did purchase it along with a copy of Kameo in anticipation for the system's launch on 11/22.

#15 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6175 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:28 PM

The Mail Man, on November 20th 2005, 07:27 PM, said:

I guess your right about off topic. I wasn't sure were this would go. Anyways my moneys on the 360 due to so many damn PS2 lies. Also all that darn trash talking Sony did a while back was just in bad taste if you ask me. I love games but when a CEO starts trashing the competitor it says inferior product. I am not saying that the PS3 will be inferior but the PS2 damn sure wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

By the way Frost what didn't you like about the old xbox?

View Post

Well, there was this thing where you gotta buy some extra thing to play DVDs. Then buy network adapter. Then buy the internet service. If you want this function you gotta buy this. If you want that function you gotta buy that... it's just so Microsoft. If you want to use something other than their proprietary ports you gotta buy ANOTHER kind of adapter. Cripes. All I had to get was the network adapter for the PS2, and that was even free because I was one of the testers. I needed to use a keyboard for a few of the test games on that, so I just plugged my Mac's keyboard into the PS2 and it worked immediately. Plus my game system was to be my DVD player for a good while, and the idea of making me pay for a kit to activate something I've already paid for really put me off. Didn't have to do that with the PS2, so that gave it more marks. Not to mention free internet service as opposed to paying for Xbox Live.

That and most of the launch games had PS2 counterparts that I thought were a lot better. Only thing that ever tempted me to the Xbox world was Halo, but there was a Mac version on the way so I never did buy in. I guess what sealed it for me was there really never was anything besides Halo (and by that I mean Halo 1, I was disappointed in Halo 2) that both activated the OMG I must have that olfactory AND had no PS2 version.

To date my only PS2 gripe has just been 8-MB-of-VRAM-what-the-hell-were-they-thinking. Games that I love like Mercenaries look SO much nicer on the Xbox than the PS2, it's a shame.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#16 Stop, Drop, and Roll

Stop, Drop, and Roll

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:51 PM

I'm cleaning my PS2 today. Never opened it before in the 5 years it serves me. Opened it up and used compressed air to blow out all of the tumbleweeds. Still have to open up the optical drive and clean the lens. Felt like sharing.

#17 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:00 PM

Frost, on November 20th 2005, 11:28 PM, said:

Well, there was this thing where you gotta buy some extra thing to play DVDs. Then buy network adapter. Then buy the internet service. If you want this function you gotta buy this. If you want that function you gotta buy that... it's just so Microsoft. If you want to use something other than their proprietary ports you gotta buy ANOTHER kind of adapter. Cripes. All I had to get was the network adapter for the PS2, and that was even free because I was one of the testers. I needed to use a keyboard for a few of the test games on that, so I just plugged my Mac's keyboard into the PS2 and it worked immediately. Plus my game system was to be my DVD player for a good while, and the idea of making me pay for a kit to activate something I've already paid for really put me off. Didn't have to do that with the PS2, so that gave it more marks. Not to mention free internet service as opposed to paying for Xbox Live.

That and most of the launch games had PS2 counterparts that I thought were a lot better. Only thing that ever tempted me to the Xbox world was Halo, but there was a Mac version on the way so I never did buy in. I guess what sealed it for me was there really never was anything besides Halo (and by that I mean Halo 1, I was disappointed in Halo 2) that both activated the OMG I must have that olfactory AND had no PS2 version.

To date my only PS2 gripe has just been 8-MB-of-VRAM-what-the-hell-were-they-thinking. Games that I love like Mercenaries look SO much nicer on the Xbox than the PS2, it's a shame.

View Post

I agree with you in some ways and yeah the DVD thing was lame I agree but when did you have to buy a network adapter for the Xbox? Also it had a built in HD so no need for memory cards which is something the PS2 you had to buy plus it has a built in ethernet port. Xbox Live? Come on you have to admit the PS2 online thing is a joke compared to Live. The PS2 has a LOT of great games but its like you said no game they made forced me to buy it. Xbox had games other than Halo that made it well worth while. Doom comes to mind. Also "Resurrection" and Riddick, CONKER!

Plus the PS2 never gave Splinter Cell the graphics it deserved. Everything pretty much came out for the Xbox also. I admit its made by Bill and sometimes you had to buy extra stuff but no more than the PS2. Remember you had to buy the HD for the PS2 separate? Let the whole "Gates" thing go and youll see a great system. I think anyways. Also doesnt it bother you they hyped up the PS2 so much that it destroyed (in my opinion) a better system the Dreamcast? Man when they did all the lying about FF7 talking about "realtime" and it looked nothing like what they showed at E3 I was PISSED and I didnt even own one! I honestly think they are going to hype the PS3 up the same way. Oh well you got your "Gates" thing and I have my "Sony" thing.
:D Time will tell...and when it does..........WE WILL CRUCIFY THE LOSER ON THE TREE OF WOE!
http://www.bggfiles....es/pic35664.jpg
The Mail Man Cometh!

#18 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:28 PM

Frost, on November 20th 2005, 10:28 PM, said:

View Post

I was about to respond to so many of the perceptions Frost had that were so wrong, I just got tired of it and deleted my reply, but here's a fact that's easily disputable: the PS2 has 4MB VRAM/framebuffer. The reason it only has that little is because it's very, very fast (48GB/sec). The system has 32MB completely separate from this memory, but its transfer is much slower, a little over 1GB/sec. That's where the hurt happens, when the graphics chip can't be fed quickly enough, so you get pop-up in KillZone. To be fair most games don't have that problem though.

#19 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:58 AM

Cursed Australian release dates. :glare:
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#20 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:48 AM

Endymion, on November 21st 2005, 12:28 AM, said:

I was about to respond to so many of the perceptions Frost had that were so wrong, I just got tired of it and deleted my reply, but here's a fact that's easily disputable: the PS2 has 4MB VRAM/framebuffer. The reason it only has that little is because it's very, very fast (48GB/sec). The system has 32MB completely separate from this memory, but its transfer is much slower, a little over 1GB/sec. That's where the hurt happens, when the graphics chip can't be fed quickly enough, so you get pop-up in KillZone. To be fair most games don't have that problem though.
Halo 2 has popups because of the optimizing to get very short cutscene & level load times, and by pushing the hardware to its limit (it almost shipped with 128MB RAM, but that would have made the hardware even more of a money loser. The mobo is silkscreened for it, so it was axed late, but would've made devs turn cartwheels. H2's disappearing objects wouldn't have been necessary with 128... anyway, AT has a good series on the last-gen tech, published when it was new:

Hardware Behind the Consoles - Part I: Microsoft's Xbox

Hardware Behind the Consoles - Part II: Nintendo's GameCube

The PS2 is referenced but not given a separate article. However, it has been characterized as the work of a mad genius, and has a rep as tough to develop for. Aficionados tell me that RE4, for instance, makes sacrifices in graphics and other performance areas compared to Gamecube.

PS3 is the work of the same architect as PS2 and Cell will be a bitch to program for, esp. compared to X360. The learning curve with Cell will be steep, and only Epic seems to have a handle on what will work well now. The RSX graphics chip is more conventional, but may be no more easy to dev for than Xenos, where the compiler and hardware scheduler will take care of a lot.

Btw, all Xbox 1 games will benefit from uprezzing to 720p and 4X FSAA. All new titles will use at least 2x.... and speaking of the best coming late in the life cycle, I saw an Xbox SW Battlefront demo yesterday that was smooth enough to get me thinking that someone had finally extracted good graphics, performance and some FSAA from Xbox. It's always been capable of it, but I've never seen it all rolled into one, albeit at only 480p/DX8. And all Xbox titles will get the backwards compatibility treatment, including uprezzing, in time; the most popular and/or Xbox Live titles are prioritized. If your fave isn't ready now, it likely will be soon, but you'll need the hard drive.

Me, I can't wait to see Halo 2 at 720p/4X FSAA with a dash of AF.