#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8500 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:37 PM

The one launcher to rule all launchers, GOG Galaxy 2.0 is now available as open beta, also for Mac.

Despite having to show literally hundreds of games in my library (I connected it to all my other accounts - PSN, Steam, Origin, Uplay, Epic), it's running better than Steam ever did. You can easily install every game that is available for your current platform: if it requires a different launcher which you haven't installed yet, you get redirected to the corresponding download page first.

Not everything works yet, though. I can't seem to get the friend lists of other platforms than GOG itself to work (but maybe I'm just missing something), some stats don't sync properly, and GOG seems to be confused which Steam games are Mac compatible (showing me for instance Borderlands Enhanced as supported under macOS, but not The Bard's Tale IV).

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:25 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 09 December 2019 - 01:37 PM, said:

I can't seem to get the friend lists of other platforms than GOG itself to work (but maybe I'm just missing something),

Works for me, at least in Windows, when I simply added them in Settings. Not all stores have Friends List support but most do. I can verify it's working with Steam for me. If it still doesn't work try "sync integrations" in the settings menu.

It's nice and prettier than steam, but it's hard to get enthused when you have to load the launcher anyway. I know that's not GoG's fault, though.

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2334 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:54 PM

I have been in the closed beta for a few weeks. It shows my Steam and Xbox friend statuses as expected.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:44 AM

In the Add friends window, I only see Steam friends who also use Galaxy 2.0 (like macdude22), that is just a handful.

#5 galad

galad

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:34 AM

Why is it distributed as a pkg?

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2334 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:00 AM

View Postgalad, on 10 December 2019 - 02:34 AM, said:

Why is it distributed as a pkg?

Because it needs to perform some additional setup in addition to unpacking the actual client application. There are also some additional redistributable binaries included in the installer. Last there is a helper tool that takes care of any actions that require privilege escalation.

These actions could be performed on first launch of a .app but I much prefer having a proper package configure everything from the outset.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8500 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:25 PM

Ah, you need to add your non-GOG friends manually to your GOG friend list? In that case, this indeed works somewhat differently than I thought.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 444 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:53 PM

I had an issue with the 1.x version of the launcher where it was unable to update any games due to 'insufficient disk space' (even games require a few Mb of patching), despite there being around 150 Gb free on the drive the launcher (and games) were installed on.

So I gave up in the end and went to installing (and patching) GoG stuff manually.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#9 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:05 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 10 December 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

Ah, you need to add your non-GOG friends manually to your GOG friend list? In that case, this indeed works somewhat differently than I thought.

All I had to do was enable the integration in Settings. Friends appeared in the list automatically.

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8500 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:32 PM

There's the issue: I was expecting the non-GOG friends to turn up under "Friends" on the left in the screenshot, not in a separate list on the right.

Posted Image

This list only is visible when the window is wider than 1501 pixels (3002 at HiDPI), which is wider than my screen (2880 px).

#11 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:47 PM

Ah, I didn't realize the lists showed different things.

The right list shows online friends only, for all services (including GOG). The separate window friends list, that you access on the left, is GOG-only.

The UI needs a bit of work...consolidate it down to one list on the left, that you can break out in a separate window if you want.

#12 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2864 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:25 PM

They do have a feedback form you can fill in. It's available in the Galaxy 2 client, you click on the settings icon (gear) on the top left. Then select Share Feedback..  If your feedback is that you can't run the software, then I guess you are out of luck. :-p

Anyway, why not let them know about the width problem- that's useful feedback. (I filled it out to let them know that my Steam tags were not imported, even though the integration plugin said they would be.)
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#13 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:59 PM

Not sure if itís new (I just installed it on my MBP for the first time) but thereís a tooltip that says you wonít get the friends sidebar in smaller windows.

Instead of fixing the issue with a better design...oh well, progress I suppose.