Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:22 AM

World of Warcraft Classic
Blizzard announcement video: https://youtu.be/TcZyiYOzsSw

A Classic Server option. Woot! Some details still to be determined. Looks awesome :rolleyes:.

#2 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:55 AM

Can someone explain what a "classic server" means to a non-WoW player?

#3 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:44 AM

I guess it means playing the pristine, original ('vanilla') version of the game (i.e. that released in 2004, prior to the publication of the first expansion on 2007).

A lot has changed in WoW over the years, mostly in making the game more convenient for the players, aside from the addition of new character classes, playable races, game mechanics etc.

I played vanilla, and still play WoW, although extremely casually now. There's no way in hell I'd want to go back to the vanilla experience now though. Spending an hour in a city yelling for a group is not my idea of fun.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:46 AM

I used to play wow, but I really played it more as a solo experience to soak up the lore. WoW got really on rails in later years (convenient as you say). Between the loss of exploration and adult life (WoW released when I was in college and we were years from dropping PPC :mellow:) I haven't played it in years.

I feel like I might go back and play classic a little bit to get that nostalgic feeling of exploration but 110% agree that as far as MMO mechanics go the idea of standing around yelling to find a PUG for Molten Core makes me nauseous.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

Since it's an older version, does anyone know if "vanilla" WoW will run decently on dial-up?
My computer often beats me in Strip Poker but doesn't stand a chance against my kick-boxing!

#6 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:07 PM

Unknown as yet.

More info on classic from BlizzCon here

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:13 AM

This is a little bit crazy IMO, having to rely on fans to provide them with their own code:

Am I right in thinking the Nostalrius team provided you with access to their build at some point?
J. Allen Brack: Yeah, they did. We did a dungeon run with some of the folks, it was an old school Scholomance run. It was interesting.

Also interesting that they have SO few details regarding how it is going to work. It really does feel like they announced this just to please the fans, without actually having any idea how things are going to roll - IF it is even going to work at all without them investing a billion dollars!

I will be looking forward to it. I likely won't have the time, ever, but I really liked what the game was back in the early days and have fond memories of it. As soon as they did Cataclysm and forward, it just wasn't the same. WotLK is likely my perfect expansion target.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#8 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:42 AM

WotLK was awesome, agreed. That was the last time I participated in organised raiding (albeit Ulduar, not Icecrown C).

#9 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3802 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:50 AM

I have never raided in WOW, so I really have no idea what it is about. I kind of expect it to be like a multiplayer Diablo dungeon.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 06 November 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

I have never raided in WOW, so I really have no idea what it is about.

This short video should help: https://www.youtube....h?v=mLyOj_QD4a4
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#11 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3802 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:29 AM

Now that's a classic!

#12 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:36 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 06 November 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

I have never raided in WOW, so I really have no idea what it is about. I kind of expect it to be like a multiplayer Diablo dungeon.

The 40-man classic raids were fun, in their way, although now you might struggle to organise such a thing, particularly with the amount of pre-raid prep needed (consumable gathering, etc). Mechanically they were far, far simpler than current raids (don't stand in the fire, decurse, get out of line of sight, don't blow your mates up, that kind of thing), but classes were much more limited too.

Needing to set aside four or five hours for a dungeon run was commonplace also (looking at you UBRS and BRD). It was a major time-sink.

#13 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:44 AM

Incidentally, I should add that there are major levelling changes coming to current WoW (Legion) in the upcoming 7.3.5 patch.

Questing and mobs will scale with your level now; you can play 10-60 content in any order you wish. The Burning Crusade and Lich King expansions are similarly level-scaled for 60-80, so you can entirely skip Outland. Similarly Cataclysm and Pandaria for 80-90. Warlords is unchanged (and Legion already scales).

Good news, especially with the bunch of new sub-races coming in Battle for Azeroth.

#14 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:23 AM

View Postnick68k, on 07 November 2017 - 07:44 AM, said:

Questing and mobs will scale with your level now

I wish they would add group scaling like in Diablo. Killing a mob in Wow takes like 16 seconds, but if you group with 1 person, then takes like 8 seconds etc.

#15 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:42 PM

Incidentally, I should add that there are major levelling changes coming to current WoW (Legion) in the upcoming 7.3.5 patch.

Questing and mobs will scale with your level now; you can play 10-60 content in any order you wish. The Burning Crusade and Lich King expansions are similarly level-scaled for 60-80, so you can entirely skip Outland. Similarly Cataclysm and Pandaria for 80-90. Warlords is unchanged (and Legion already scales).

IF the scaling works anything like ESO sounds great. In ESO I just play with people and I don't have to worry about levels at all. Whatever Zenimax does just automagically works.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#16 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 07 November 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

IF the scaling works anything like ESO sounds great. In ESO I just play with people and I don't have to worry about levels at all. Whatever Zenimax does just automagically works.

It seems to work pretty well for current Legion content (i.e. levels 100-110).

#17 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:30 AM

Awesome! Now I can not play WoW while everyone bugs me to play it all over again. :P
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#18 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3802 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:27 AM

My major problem in most of the later expansions has not been that I have to play certain areas in order, but that going to level 60 goes so fast. You don't get to experience all the content, simply because the hand holding ensures you almost hit a new level each time you just spot an enemy. Classic WOW was much better, but then again, I liked all the exploring.

#19 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:37 AM

I agree, and the new system should help to fix that (i.e. if you want to spend levels 10-30 doing every inch of the Plaguelands quests you can do that).

I'm one of those strange WoW players that prefers the alt levelling process to endgame. I like the constant drip of new gear and story reveals. As such, I've often turned xp gains off in the past (via the SW Keep NPC; I assume there's a Horde equivalent too) to prolong immersion in favourite zones.

#20 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 09 November 2017 - 04:27 AM, said:

My major problem in most of the later expansions has not been that I have to play certain areas in order, but that going to level 60 goes so fast. You don't get to experience all the content, simply because the hand holding ensures you almost hit a new level each time you just spot an enemy. Classic WOW was much better, but then again, I liked all the exploring.

http://www.insidemac...26 I feel like we are on the same wavelength, netmacbroinarms.

Ya, i always played to explore and find all the nooks and crannies. I mostly never raided or anything that require a commitment. I'm an old RPG man and Warcraft fan. PreWOTLK you really could explore and find new things, post it was rails rails rails GIANT ARROW GO HERE. I get that's the theme park RPG world we live in now but I'M OLD DAMN IT. WoW classic and BfA have me almost interested again, but I just can't see myself finding the time.