#81 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:30 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 11 July 2019 - 01:26 PM, said:

It still is, even if it's no longer shown in the store. The Mac version has not been removed, it's just hidden. The depots are still there.

That is not logical as Spock would say. It's the weirdest thing if it's true. How do you know that if it's hidden and why would they do so? That was the reason I missed the opportunity to buy it on summer sale.

I only find this information but otherwise there are no system requirements for Mac or no Apple symbol on the Bioshock 2 products:

Special Offer

Buying BioShock 2™ gets you BioShock 2™ Remastered! For that feature list, click here!
BioShock 2™ for Mac is currently only available in the original release

Buying Minerva's Den will also get you Minerva's Den Remastered! For details on that version, click here!
Minerva’s Den for Mac is currently only available in the original release

#82 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:25 PM

'BioShock 2 Remastered' is inbound for a Mac release, sooner or later anyway.
There have been Steam Depots for a Mac version for quite some time now.
It should be the 'Save Poor Bob If You Please' blip on Feral's Radar.
You could get the Remaster, when it's out, but who knows if that will include the original game version for the Mac.

#83 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:42 AM

View PostHomy, on 11 July 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

What an odd thing to bundle the mac version with the windows version and not to sell it as standalone!
The vanilla version is no longer sold, Windows or Mac; only the remaster is, but there's currently no Mac version. The remaster includes the vanilla version (for Windows for sure, and I guess for Mac too), but since it can't be purchased standalone, you must purchase the remaster and you should be able to get the Mac vanilla app this way. Yes, it's harder than it should be...

#84 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8414 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:13 AM

View PostHomy, on 11 July 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

That is not logical as Spock would say. It's the weirdest thing if it's true. How do you know that if it's hidden and why would they do so? That was the reason I missed the opportunity to buy it on summer sale.
It's effectively a loophole due to how Steam works.

With "hidden" I mean that it no longer says on the game's page that there is a Mac version, since Feral no longer supports it and removed the game from sale, mostly to avoid uninformed Mac owners who do not read system requirements (i.e. roughly 90%) buy the game in a post-Catalina world and become enraged that they can't run it.

But the game data are still in the Steam depots and are still accessible. If that were removed or locked, anyone who bought the game earlier would no longer be able to download and play it. Feral does not seem to be willing to take away the game from earlier buyers and I'm not sure if Valve's terms would even allow that.

And apparently, it's not possible to limit access to the Mac depots to only old customers. So when you buy the game now, you still get the Mac version, even if not openly communicated. That's the way it works (or at least worked so far) for all the games Feral removed from sale, and a bunch of other games.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#85 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8414 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:35 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 11 July 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

DE:MD is 85% off on Humble Bundle. I wonder if the Steam key would allow downloading the macOS version tho. FWIW I'd assume not based on recent discussion.
Sure it does. The Humble Store page even shows the Mac logo. And Mankind Divided is 64-bit. It's predecessor, Human Revolution, has been pulled for being 32-bit.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#86 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

View PostMr Pink, on 11 July 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

'BioShock 2 Remastered' is inbound for a Mac release, sooner or later anyway.
There have been Steam Depots for a Mac version for quite some time now.
It should be the 'Save Poor Bob If You Please' blip on Feral's Radar.
You could get the Remaster, when it's out, but who knows if that will include the original game version for the Mac.

I asked Feral on Facebook but they wrote "We’ve got no news about BioShock 2 Remastered for macOS". I looked at the Steam database and there is actually a BS2 Remastered depot for Mac created in january but it's empty so maybe it will come someday.

View PostJanichsan, on 12 July 2019 - 09:13 AM, said:

But the game data are still in the Steam depots and are still accessible. If that were removed or locked, anyone who bought the game earlier would no longer be able to download and play it. Feral does not seem to be willing to take away the game from earlier buyers and I'm not sure if Valve's terms would even allow that.

And apparently, it's not possible to limit access to the Mac depots to only old customers. So when you buy the game now, you still get the Mac version, even if not openly communicated. That's the way it works (or at least worked so far) for all the games Feral removed from sale, and a bunch of other games.

Thanks! I wasn't familiar with that website and what you meant by depots but I thought they could easily restrict the access to the files for each user and if they don't state that a game is a part of a bundle you couldn't access it. I asked Feral on Facebook if I still can get Bioshock 2 for mac If I buy Bioshock 2 Remastered for Windows although it's not communicated officially but they kind of dodged the question and wrote "If you already own the game, you’ll still be able to play the game. However, this won’t be supported on macOS 10.15."

They kind of confirmed they have plans for Deus Ex though: "Deus Ex: Human Revolution may be updated to 64-bit after the launch of macOS 10.15."

#87 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:45 AM

Got an answer from Feral: "No, we can’t confirm that buying BioShock 2 Remastered for Windows will give you access to the macOS version. If you want to try this yourself, however, feel free to purchase the game and refund it if it doesn’t work."

#88 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8414 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 10:28 AM

View PostHomy, on 15 July 2019 - 07:45 AM, said:

Got an answer from Feral: "No, we can’t confirm that buying BioShock 2 Remastered for Windows will give you access to the macOS version. If you want to try this yourself, however, feel free to purchase the game and refund it if it doesn’t work."
They didn't deny it either. ;)

#89 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 10:33 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 15 July 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

They didn't deny it either. ;)
Maybe they are after all working on BS2 Remastered and want rather people buy that instead of the old one. :)