#41 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3356 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:29 AM

I'm running the Mojave beta on my MBP. Seems pretty solid. Performance is good. Haven't tried the new features much yet, but as of now it seems just as good or better than High Sierra.

Initially I upgraded my High Sierra installation to Mojave but I was getting some performance issues (which were there with High Sierra as well). I messed around with my partitions way to much so I suspect that was the cause (re-sizing bootcamp and my Mac partition a bunch). I nuked the whole SSD and re-installed a fresh copy of Mojave and it runs very smoothly now.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#42 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:07 PM

All very quiet on here at the moment..... but for me at least the upgrade to Mojave which I did on release day was fairly painless.

Even the boot ROM upgrade required on my old Mac Pro was possible with my non-EFI (no boot screen) GPU - Sapphire AMD Radeon RX580 Pulse - as Apple actually class it as supported.

Will no doubt get to testing some games eventually but the day to day stuff appears to be working so far - even some old apps and hardware drivers long since left behind by the developers.

The big one is definitely going to be 10.15 and leaving behind all the 32-bit software but we will see what happens by then.

There could be the mythical return of an expandable Mac Pro (2019?) to upgrade to or, whatever hardware arrives could be just well out of reach with the pricing like iMac Pro.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.14

#43 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:49 PM

Think I'll just wait til the first .1 update. Still happily on Sierra, and I got the new Safari update anyway.

#44 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:44 PM

Notice any performance differences? When I made the mistake of High Sierra, everything was significantly slower. This includes Basic finder operations, War Thunder benchmarks and Cinebench R15 benchmarks. I am assuming Mojave would be the same slowness as High Sierra.

#45 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:56 PM

Mojave is the second coming of Sierra (sans High) for me. Performance and battery life on my MBP are radically improved, and several idiotic bugs I've put up with for months are now gone. Happy to consign High Sierra to the dust bin of crappy Mac OS releases with Yosemite and El Capitan.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#46 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8307 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 September 2018 - 02:48 AM

Yeah, it seems to be a fairly solid x.0 release. They fixed many bugs that plagued me since El Capitain, but I also found quite a few new ones, although nothing severe (so far). Boot times have double once more. Performancewise, I see no big differences either way to High Sierra, but then again, High Sierra wasn't any different to Sierra for me (a nasty energy management bug aside, which affected game performance, and which had been fixed after a while).

My biggest issue at the moment is that I was forcefully updated to iTunes 12.9, which lacks the iOS App Store and iOS app management, and there's no way back to iTunes 12.6.5.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#47 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3979 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 27 September 2018 - 02:59 AM

I am quite digging Dark Mode, so it is almost a new OS to be just because of that. Other than that, most stuff has been minor I think. System updates are finally in System Preferences, where they should have been found since 10.0.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#48 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 08:20 AM

With removal of subpixel font rendering, text looks like crap on my non-Retina display. Oh well.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#49 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:55 AM

It also removes "Back to my Mac" :(. I have not tried Sierra since it didn't add anything important, so don't know if any of the performance drop-off is there. No one has benchmarks? El Capitan has been so great, I am just afraid of getting the slowness to get the latest OS that just has features that are so unimportant and never use (since I can't use eGPU).

MacBook Pro retina 2012 with 10.11 El Capitan:
Cinebench R15 CPU 538 cb
Cinebench R15 OpenGL 52.39 fps
War Thunder Pacific War 83.1 fps (19018 rating) OpenGL

MacBook Pro retina 2012 with 10.13 High Sierra:
Cinebench R15 CPU 449 cb
Cinebench R15 OpenGL 42.07 fps
War Thunder Pacific War 76.4 fps (17491 rating) OpenGL
War Thunder Pacific War 35.3 fps (8073 rating) Metal

edit: for now I know I don't want to update to Mojave and lose iTunes 12.6.5 that I use all the time (thanks Janichson :) )

#50 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:37 PM

Mojave improved the fps in DiRT Rally by ~15%. Other games don't appear to show a difference. I haven't tested openGL games, I don't expect to see any progress there.

#51 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:52 PM

Thanks jeannot :). Finally something quantitive. That is what I was expecting. As far as games, I think your on AMD, so maybe different for us on nvidia Macs, as there has been some huge hits for us.

I deleted my High Sierra partition a month ago, or I would have updated that and checked for myself. I need to check updating to Sierra thou.

#52 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:54 AM

I haven't been able to upgrade yet - waiting on new nVidia drivers for my eGPU. But hopefully nVidia will see similar improvements!

#53 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2633 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:03 PM

I haven't been able to upgrade yet either - waiting on APPLE TO GET OFF ITS BUTT AND RELEASE NEW MACHINES.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#54 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3979 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 02 October 2018 - 03:00 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 30 September 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

I haven't been able to upgrade yet either - waiting on APPLE TO GET OFF ITS BUTT AND RELEASE NEW MACHINES.
ShhhHH!! We don't speak of the unspeakable!!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#55 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8307 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:14 AM

After some more time with Mojave, I encountered more issues, including one that makes Affinity Photo and Designer virtually unusuable when using Metal acceleration (OpenGL is fine).

In addition, there are a bunch of (small) changes that I'm not really happy about. For instance, you can no longer set after which period of inactivity your computer goes to sleep, and Apple has decided to replace the nice and tidily organised printer options in all their own applications with an unsorted and messy list of dropdown menus, which in part is unlocalised in German (at least for Canon printers). And before you ask: this is not related to the drivers. All third party applications still have the old printer options.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#56 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2633 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:53 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 02 October 2018 - 03:00 AM, said:

ShhhHH!! We don't speak of the unspeakable!!
True, but I can WRITE about the unspeakable.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#57 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:11 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 03 October 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

For instance, you can no longer set after which period of inactivity your computer goes to sleep,

Uhh.... what?  

Those options are still there for me.  Computer is set to sleep after 1hr, and the display goes to sleep after 15 minutes.

#58 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8307 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 01:31 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 03 October 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

Uhh.... what?  

Those options are still there for me.  Computer is set to sleep after 1hr, and the display goes to sleep after 15 minutes.
Nope. Only one slider for me.

Posted Image

#59 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 04 October 2018 - 01:28 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 04 October 2018 - 01:31 AM, said:

Nope. Only one slider for me.

It looks exactly the same for me in Sierra.

#60 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8307 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:32 PM

View PostCougar, on 04 October 2018 - 01:28 PM, said:

It looks exactly the same for me in Sierra.
Like this or like it was before (with two sliders)?