Remember Spiderweb Software? There's a GDC video.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1948 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:57 PM

You old-timers who used to get the Macworld magazine probably remember Spiderweb Software. Exile, Avenum, Geneforge, etc. I recently watched Jeff Vogel talk about his company in a YouTube video. It was a nice stroll down the memory lane of technology. If anyone is interested: Failing to Fail: The Spiderweb Software Way It is an hour long.

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4574 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:34 PM

Of course we do. They just finished their latest Kickstarter the other day.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#3 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1948 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:06 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 17 September 2021 - 10:34 PM, said:

Of course we do. They just finished their latest Kickstarter the other day.
Checking that out... That's cool to see that they raised a good amount. Raising funds is better than being raised by wolves. A lot better than that.

That company made me think about trying to do the same decades ago. It may have been part encouragement for my freeware and almost shareware work. (Almost means that I forgot to turn off testing mode before I posted the util. I found out when I went to refund the money because I had decided to make it freeware.)

Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17753 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:39 PM

Nethergate Resurrection was my favorite.  Played that about 4 times in a row.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1948 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 01:06 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 19 September 2021 - 12:39 PM, said:

Nethergate Resurrection was my favorite.  Played that about 4 times in a row.
Now you're just giving me ideas for games to buy but probably never play because I got too many already.

I wonder if I have more games that I haven't played than I have? I do have a bunch that I had played back "in the day" and bought "updated" versions on sale but have not played. Or I tried but something sucks now, like an 640x480 interface that doesn't scale and has blocky fonts that are hard to read. (Hard to read now; were awesome back in the day.)

Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17753 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:24 AM

Nethergate had none of those problems.  And for a Spiderweb game, it was fairly short. But, ::waves hand like a Jedi:: you would rather play Borderlands 2 with me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:50 PM

I vaguely remember a couple of the avernum games. Don't remember if it was 2 or 3 though.
What is a man?

#8 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:50 PM

I started off with the original Exile game on a Quadra 610 (ask your grandpa) during my grad school days. The computer was located in the lab darkroom, so I'd (mostly) come in at night and play.

'Realmz' was the other hot Mac indy RPG at the time, and arguably a more gussied-up game than Vogel's offering, but who's heard of it now, eh?

Since then I've dipped into the Avernum remakes, and the remakes of those remakes occasionally. They take up next to no space on the HD, and are reassuring games to have around.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2390 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:09 PM

I'm a real DIM and I was relatively young but I have this vague recollection of getting exile FROM Fantasoft in the mid 90s. 95 or 96 maybe? We got the 575 in late 94 and i'm sure I wasn't playing exile until late 95/early 96. I may be super imposing memories, I think my first exposure to both games and companies was the disk that came with Tricks of the Mac Game Programming Gurus.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
ChonkOpad (iPad Pro 8,9): A12Z @ 2.49ghz || 6GB RAM || 256GB

#10 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:44 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 14 October 2021 - 02:09 PM, said:

I'm a real DIM and I was relatively young but I have this vague recollection of getting exile FROM Fantasoft in the mid 90s. 95 or 96 maybe? We got the 575 in late 94 and i'm sure I wasn't playing exile until late 95/early 96. I may be super imposing memories, I think my first exposure to both games and companies was the disk that came with Tricks of the Mac Game Programming Gurus.

You may be right about the early Exile/Fantasoft association (or you may be implanting me with false memories too, damn your eyes). I think I originally found Realmz on one of the FTP repositories, around 1995. I don't remember how I found Exile.

Back in the day Vogel also published non-Spiderweb Software games; there was an excellent strategy game on floating grid maps with chess-like pieces, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was called.

edit: Lost Souls! I think I've damaged something in my brain with that bit of recall.

Posted Image
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#11 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4574 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:45 AM

View Postnick68k, on 14 October 2021 - 01:50 PM, said:

'Realmz' was the other hot Mac indy RPG at the time, and arguably a more gussied-up game than Vogel's offering, but who's heard of it now, eh?
Realmz was my crack for many years as a young kid. I'd go so far as to say, that was the game that got me hooked on everything fantasy. The best days were those when my dad brought home the newest MacAddict magazine, so I could get the latest Realmz update, to fix all the new bugs I'd come across.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6230 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:17 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 14 October 2021 - 02:09 PM, said:

You're remembering right. Through Fantasoft is how I first found out about Exile/Spiderweb.

Realmz was so much fun back in the day. It still bothers me to this day I wasn't able to figure out one of the puzzles at the end of one of the scenarios. Back when you couldn't solve anything in any game by quickly typing in "spoil my life" on Google.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.5 GHz i9 11900K / 32GB RAM / TITAN V 12GB / 2TB Intel 7600p, 4TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 14TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / GeForce GT 650M 1GB / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.