Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6199 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

I wonder what they'd take as a buyout offer.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#22 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2306 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

I haven't been able to login to my Ambrosia account for weeks. Is there anyone at the helm anymore or is it on 100% autopilot at this point. So sad, Ambrosia was pivotal in my formative years.

With the success of everyone and their brother on kickstarter, EV seems ripe for a kickstarter of a new, modern EV.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#23 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1474 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 21 December 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

Hint hint IMG. *Nudge nudge*

When I regularly wrote for IMG I tried to get an interview with them several times about what they were up to, or might be up to game wise. I had their PR guy who said he'd pass me on to Andrew Welch, but I never heard back. I pinged them a few more times by email, but after no replies I gave up.

A lot of good points in this thread about Ambrosia games going to Steam, or some kind of kickstarter.

FYI Ambrosia doesn't own the license/IP for Escape Velocity. It belongs to Matt Burch and he apparently said he'd never make another one.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

27" iMac, Core i7 Quad 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

#24 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2306 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

I recall reading a blurb on their forums a while back (years maybe now) that they had some internal reasoning as to why they wouldn't release on steam. Seems to me that releasing EV:Nova on steam for eight or ten bucks would be just about the closest thing you could get to a sure thing. There's a whole lot of worse stuff thats been released and re-released on steam to great success. Maybe it would make enough to fund a new EV as well.

I would also pay a not insignificant amount to support a Kickstarter for a new EV game. But alas it seems Ambrosia is limping along on autopilot anymore.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#25 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8467 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 27 January 2014 - 08:01 AM, said:

I recall reading a blurb on their forums a while back (years maybe now) that they had some internal reasoning as to why they wouldn't release on steam. Seems to me that releasing EV:Nova on steam for eight or ten bucks would be just about the closest thing you could get to a sure thing.
I think there is also a technical reason why the Mac version of EV in its current form could not be released on Steam: it uses the good, old Mac resource fork for most of its data and Steam cannot handle this. It's the same reason why the older Spiderweb RPGs are not available for Mac on Steam.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#26 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3513 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 27 January 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

I think there is also a technical reason why the Mac version of EV in its current form could not be released on Steam: it uses the good, old Mac resource fork for most of its data and Steam cannot handle this.
It looks like that's been converted to a data fork based resource file in the current version.

#27 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2819 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:02 PM

Although Ambrosia hasn't been active, their website stayed up and on a good day you could sometimes get it to renew your license codes (their copy protection scheme requires license codes to be renewed periodically.) There was also a semi-secret email address you could write to and someone would help you.

At the moment though nothing is working. It appears their licensing server is down because the auto-renew tool crashes, and the website renew page reports a PHP error. Attempting to recover my password into their support forum fails because their V1 Captcha needs to be updated, and people have reported that "Bernard" no longer responds to emails.

I have submitted an online support request just in case it gets through to someone, but we may have reached the tipping point.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#28 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:32 PM

I'd be surprised if you get a response. Bernard's gone now, and Ambrosia's officially closed. He sent Matt Burch an email back in November to say that Ambrosia was finally done. No idea why Andrew hasn't put up an announcement somewhere. Lots of people have been trying to contact him, but to my knowledge he's not responded to any of them.

The website went offline for a short spell recently, too, but fans have preserved a lot of the content. The EV community has saved all of the plugins and stuff for those three games and posted them on Archive.org as well as a couple of websites (one is https://ev.appcraft.name and I forget the other). The EVNova subreddit's getting a bunch of activity at the moment. I don't know if anyone's put up archives of the plugins/levels/etc from the non-EV game pages, but I've saved most of that stuff locally and will upload it at some point if nobody else does.

So it's all ended in a pretty sad way. Hopefully we'll get some fix for the registration renewal problem, from the community if not from Ambrosia.
Author of The Secret History of Mac Gaming - https://secrethistoryofmacgaming.com/

#29 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:15 AM

View Postmossy_11, on 26 February 2019 - 09:32 PM, said:

Hopefully we'll get some fix for the registration renewal problem, from the community if not from Ambrosia.

From the community the fix would be, basically, a crack. I'm sure it has been created a long time ago already.

#30 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2819 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:47 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 27 February 2019 - 02:15 AM, said:

From the community the fix would be, basically, a crack. I'm sure it has been created a long time ago already.
True. Though the Mac versions will just break again when OS X goes 64-bit-only.. In future it seems I'll be reduced to playing Windows versions (when available.)

For Darwinia, the game I was revisiting this week, GOG sells it DRM-free. So in this case I'll probably just buy it again.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#31 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1474 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:41 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 27 February 2019 - 08:47 AM, said:

For Darwinia, the game I was revisiting this week, GOG sells it DRM-free. So in this case I'll probably just buy it again.

Introversion yes? I'm a big fan of Darwinia and Uplink, though better hacker style games exist today, I lost countless hours to that one.

GoG has a decent Mac selection, but many things remain PC only despite having Mac versions in the past.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

27" iMac, Core i7 Quad 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

#32 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2819 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:33 AM

View PostWumpus, on 17 March 2019 - 09:41 PM, said:

Introversion yes? I'm a big fan of Darwinia and Uplink, though better hacker style games exist today, I lost countless hours to that one.
Yep. I never played Uplink, oddly enough.. Introversion isn't completely folded the way Ambrosia seems to be, but they are getting there.

GoG has a decent Mac selection, but many things remain PC only despite having Mac versions in the past.
Yes, and unless a 64-bit DOS wrapper comes along, the pickings are going to be even slimmer once Mac goes 64-bit only.
www.mindthecube.com