#21 Homy

Homy

Recharable Bionic Buttocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:04 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 01 October 2020 - 02:31 AM, said:

Weird that Apple ran the Tomb Raider game at such low settings and resolution for WWDC, if the other game supposedly runs so nicely..

I guess they didn't want to run such old game from 2013 for marketing reasons, but a more recent game like Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

#22 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4421 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:13 AM

Makes sense I guess. But at least it gives me hope for old school gaming, since we all have bazillions of those games..
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#23 jeannot

jeannot

Taunting a Second Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:33 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 01 October 2020 - 02:31 AM, said:

Weird that Apple ran the Tomb Raider game at such low settings and resolution for WWDC, if the other game supposedly runs so nicely..
After spending too much time analysing this demo, I have come to the firm conclusion that no iGPU, from either intel or AMD (including Renoir and the latest intel Xe) can achieve what was shown by Apple.
The resolution (1080p) and settings aren't that low. Settings are mostly medium, with low-quality textures (I painstakingly compared images from the same scene on my Mac).

This game is demanding, and basically no iGPU can run it decently.

#24 ozzy

ozzy

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:11 PM

I agree with that assessment. I actually re-installed Shadow of the Tomb Raider on my 2018 13" MBP to get a sense for what the iGPU can do. It could run at 22 FPS on 1080p at Medium settings (32 FPS on Low settings at 1080p), but it clearly doesn't have the features or horsepower to drive the game at normal medium settings. It looked like garbage compared to 1080p Medium on my eGPU, and compared to the video from Apple. Granted this laptop is now 2 years old, but it has a quad-core i7 and Intel Iris Plus 655 and it can't come remotely close to what Apple was showing.

#25 jeannot

jeannot

Taunting a Second Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:39 PM

Now here's the latest intel iGPU from the "tiger lake" generation:
https://www.youtube....h?v=_zwsmX62Gqk
... at lowest settings.
But apparently, Feral has managed to make the game run better on macOS than on Windows using intel GPUs. Brad Oliver confirmed this to me.
Still, the game would run probably much better on Apple GPUs after a few optimisation and re-compiling.

#26 ozzy

ozzy

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:23 PM

I can't do a direct comparison, but I believe it.

Rise of the Tomb Raider runs equal (+/- .1% on FPS) on my 2012 Retina MBP between 10.14.x and Windows 10 (Vega 56). So stands to reason that Shadow of the Tomb Raider would as well.

My 2018 MBP in 10.14.x is ~5% faster than my 2012 MBP in 10.14.x and in Windows 10 in Rise of the Tomb Raider. And my 2018 MBP in 10.15.x is ~17% faster than my 2012 MBP in Windows 10 on Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I just can't do a direct Shadow of the Tomb Raider comparison because I don't want to load 10.15.x on my 2012 MBP and lose access to all old 32 bit games (and I can't load Windows 10 on my 2018 MBP because it is a work laptop that is locked down for security reasons).