UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:50 AM

http://news.cnet.com...rive-this-fall/

Apple's new Mac Pro said to ditch expansions, arrive this fall

A new report says Apple's gunning for a fall release for its Mac Pro desktop overhaul, and that it may be closer to a beefy Mac Mini.
Posted Image

by Josh Lowensohn June 3, 2013 9:49 AM PDT

Posted Image
Apple's Mac Pro -- destined for a diet?(Credit: Apple)

As Apple's developers conference approaches, the rumors are coming hot and heavy. The latest? More scuttlebutt on the Mac Pro, Apple's one and only desktop tower, which the company has promised to overhaul and rerelease this year.
New tidbits come from longtime video producer Lou Borella, the creator of the Facebook group "We Want a New Macpro," who on Monday posted details on the changes from "a source or two that has some credibility."
The gist:

• It will be heavily reliant on Thunderbolt
• There will be no internal expandability
• It will have support for dual GPUs with three-monitor support right out of the box
• No [Firewire 800] or optical drive
• It will be released in the fall
• It will be a completely new design

While some of those details have shown up before, the rumored changes suggest something much closer to a souped-up Mac Mini than the $2,499, expandable desktop tower Apple has kept largely unchanged (physically) for the past decade. But that might not be a bad thing, according to Borella.
"To truly see any benefit in this type of configuration you have to forget what you know about your existing machine," Borella wrote. "You are going to have to believe that Apple has thought about all the possible existing workflows and has a solution that can replace them."
    Another move toward a lack of user replaceable parts and an optical drive should not be surprising given what Apple has done with its other products. Optical drives have been phased out of Apple's notebooks in favor of slimmer enclosures, a move that's carried over to desktops like the Mac Mini and the latest iMac. The same goes for hard drives, which Apple has made increasingly hard for users to get to, and replaced with integrated flash storage. With that said, one of the main benefits -- and purposes -- of desktops has been the capability to open up the hood and make adjustments.
    The Mac Pro is one of several machines Apple is expected to update in the near future. Others include the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, which were last updated about a year ago. A report from Apple news site MacTrast last week noted that online availability of the Mac Pro was severely limited, with many online stores listing it as backordered, or out of stock.

macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
    • 4265 posts
    • Steam ID:frigidman
    • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

Hrm.

Too early to give my opinion on the matter. I will voice what I think when they do release whatever they have come up with.

Still an interesting read.

-Fm [1oM7]
    "I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
    • PipPipPip
    • 165 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

a very beefy Mac Mini sounds like a better machine than a Mac Pro.  It may have expansion slots in an extra external box that could stack and connect via Thunderbolt for those who wanted to buy the extra.

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3802 posts
    • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

Yes, that would make the most sense, and also open up a market for gamers, as in a barebones machines with room for two graphic cards that doesn't cost close to 3000$ (I hope!).
    "They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
    • 4265 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 05 June 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

Yes, that would make the most sense, and also open up a market for gamers, as in a barebones machines with room for two graphic cards that doesn't cost close to 3000$ (I hope!).

Hehe yeah, being able to buy a Mac Pro without apple's marked up crappy GPU cards, would be a boon to the gamers market for sure. So long as gamers know "you dont HAVE to buy gpus that have the word APPLE or MAC on the package title" ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
    "I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 832 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

I don't see how you can have multiple GPU support and have no expansion slots?

I can however see the optical drive going as they are less commonly used these days and as for FireWire you can still attach these devices with Thunderbolt adaptors so that is OK.

Multiple internal 3.5" disks and a PCI-E slot for a decent desktop GPU (along with the power connectors required) are surely essential for a Pro machine?

Those two at least for me stop me going with an iMac for now. (I did try an external solution for my disks but it was too slow and too noisy compared to using the internal SATA connectors).

I'll keep my fingers crossed Apple haven't given up on these features, otherwise I guess I'll probably upgrade the GPU in my 09 model and maybe risk upgrading the CPUs to get a few more years before facing an upgrade dilemma.

Maybe there will be some progress on high capacity storage options again and you will be able to get 15 to 20TB in an iMac by then....
    Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#7 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 304 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

A desktop computer tower without an optical drive and little to no expandability? Yeah, that sounds useful... They might as well have a line of people pay $2,000+ for Tim Cook to take their money and kick them in the rear while he wears steel-toed boots. If he breaks your coccyx, the sale is considered a success!

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
    • 2460 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

If Apple decides to ditch expandable Macs completely I'll eat my hat. This rumor sounds like it was written by the guys who said there'd be an Apple-branded TV announced "next week, for sure".

They could be describing a new tier: either high-end Mac Mini or (branded as a) low-end Mac Pro, but I strongly doubt they'll abandon expandable machines completely.
    Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
    Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#9 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 6089 posts
    • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Not passing the smell test.
    Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
    Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
    When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
    • 17421 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

View PostFrost, on 05 June 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

Not passing the smell test.

Not surprising, you really should have showered after returning from Nicaragua.
    Gary Simmons
    the Battle Cat

#11 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
    • 3707 posts
    • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Well, either way this is definitely an interesting issue.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 6089 posts
    • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

Who says I've returned? I'm just on Central American wi-fi. Seriously, check dat IP, sucka! I'm returning in a few hours.

On topic, this would show Tim Cook and crew are radically out of step with the Pro market's needs, which would not be a good thing.
    Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
    Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
    When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#13 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
    • 4265 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostFrost, on 07 June 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

On topic, this would show Tim Cook and crew are radically out of step with the Pro market's needs, which would not be a good thing.

Naw, they want to force professionals to work in an iOS like environment ;) So make the machines more and more ready for it.

-Fm [1oM7]

#14 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
    • 3895 posts
    • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
    • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostDiablofett, on 05 June 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

A desktop computer tower without an optical drive and little to no expandability? Yeah, that sounds useful... They might as well have a line of people pay $2,000+ for Tim Cook to take their money and kick them in the rear while he wears steel-toed boots. If he breaks your coccyx, the sale is considered a success!

:happy: Hee-hee, you said "coccyx".

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
    Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
    "In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
    "I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#15 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 304 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 07 June 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

:happy: Hee-hee, you said "coccyx".

Haha! I am glad you liked that!
    Maine coons are awesome, by the way.

#16 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 8087 posts
    • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

I don't know, but parts of this rumored specs (especially the total lack of internal expansibility) don't match up with other reports that the responsible Apple manager told a worried customer who specifically asked for extra graphics card support and expansibility of memory that he "would be glad" about the upcoming Mac Pro.

Let's be frank: a "Mac Pro" relying on external Thunderbolt accessories for expansions is basically not expandable at all – due to a lack of suitable Thunderbolt accessories. External Thunderbolt GPUs totally failed to show up and even other Thunderbolt devices are few and far between. Heck, even the bloody Thunderbolt docks that were announced by several companies aren't coming as promised – and that's two and a half years after the first Macs with that interface were released.

"We do what we must, because we can."
    "Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#17 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1785 posts
    • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 07 June 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

I don't know, but parts of this rumored specs (especially the total lack of internal expansibility) don't match up with other reports that the responsible Apple manager told a worried customer who specifically asked for extra graphics card support and expansibility of memory that he "would be glad" about the upcoming Mac Pro.

A few months after having the discussion he suddenly remembers and posts on a forum just in time for WWDC rumor mongering. Whatever he said is crap.

Heck, even the bloody Thunderbolt docks that were announced by several companies aren't coming as promised – and that's two and a half years after the first Macs with that interface were released.

http://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F4U055

#18 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 8087 posts
    • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

View PostHansi, on 07 June 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

Woah, when did that happen? About a month ago, that specific device was not available yet. Did that single engineer Belkin had working on that thing finally get off his prolonged coffee break?

Together with the half-assed Matrox dock, that makes two (2) of the five or six Thunderbolt docks that were announced or at least hinted at when Apple released their first TB capable computers...

"We do what we must, because we can."
    "Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#19 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3367 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

Oh, and external PCIe chassis. It's certainly not preferable to a mini tower, or even an SFF just large enough for a couple CPUs and a PCIe slot. Maybe it even has enough 6- and 8-pin connectors to even run a graphics card that would be worth putting in there! (but not enough PCIe lanes to help you if you're actually pushing it)

#20 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1365 posts
    • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

That matches up perfectly--just look at what they said when asked about a Final Cut Pro update.