#41 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:54 PM

So we have MacMINI/MacbookAIR/MacbookPRO/iMac24" on AppleM1 ARM64
but we have ZERO native AAA titles. Come on...

...I am not talking about rosetta2/parallels or other frickle-stuff...I am talking about native ARM64.
...and I am also not talking about Lego/Arcade/TotalWarXYZ/... I am talking about TombRaider/Wolfenstein/Doom/COD/etc...
iMac 27" Late 2012 3,4Ghz i7 NT 680MX
Macbook Air Late 2010 320M
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#42 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4568 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 21 April 2021 - 11:46 PM

WOW is on ARM, and that's about the biggest AAA short of Fortnite. But yes, there sure aren't many of them.

I wonder if it really is due to lack of 3. party libraries with ARM support, as Brad pointed out, or if Mac gaming just is dying for good now.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#43 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • 4568 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 10:54 AM

In other news, Big Sur 11.4 beta added support for AMD RNA2 cards, including 6900XT.

#44 galad

galad

Fanatic

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:28 AM

If only I could find one that's not 3x the original price…

#45 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 25 April 2021 - 06:46 PM

I think mac gaming will get better once the Apple Silicon transition has had a few years to marinate. Publishers and studios will start to look at "Apple" as a massive ecosystem that really just requires a single codebase/port and gives you access to hundreds of millions of users on iPhone, iPad, and Mac. I think Apple Silicon will also remedy the compatibility issues that we have been having for years (new macOS versions breaking old apps).

As a very basic anecdotal test for Apple Silicon long term compatibility I just scrolled back in my iPhone app purchased list and downloaded the 3 oldest games that I purchased. They were purchased in Sept 2010 on my iPhone 4. All 3 still load up and play fine on my iPhone 12.

Macs getting a big graphics boost on the low end (Macbook Air can now play "real" games at playable framerates) will also make macOS more attractive overall. Very few Mac users have 15" MBP's, 27" iMacs, and/or Mac Pros which was previously required for any kind of real gaming. Pretty soon virtually every Mac will be able to at least hit a minimum threshold of 30 fps, low settings on "real" games.

I'm not arguing that Mac will become some powerhouse gaming platform, but I think we are in dark days currently and once we are through the silicon transition and lower end Macs are capable of a lot more games things will get much better. I am trying to remember back to the PowerPC -> Intel transition days and seem to remember things being equally bad for games but my memory is definitely foggy there.
16" MBP: i9 9880H @ 2.3 GHz || Radeon 5500M 8GB || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB SSD
Desktop: 5600X || RTX 3070 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Series X || PS5 || iPhone 12

#46 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 02:57 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 25 April 2021 - 06:46 PM, said:

I think mac gaming will get better once the Apple Silicon transition has had a few years to marinate. Publishers and studios will start to look at "Apple" as a massive ecosystem that really just requires a single codebase/port and gives you access to hundreds of millions of users on iPhone, iPad, and Mac. I think Apple Silicon will also remedy the compatibility issues that we have been having for years (new macOS versions breaking old apps).

As a very basic anecdotal test for Apple Silicon long term compatibility I just scrolled back in my iPhone app purchased list and downloaded the 3 oldest games that I purchased. They were purchased in Sept 2010 on my iPhone 4. All 3 still load up and play fine on my iPhone 12.

Macs getting a big graphics boost on the low end (Macbook Air can now play "real" games at playable framerates) will also make macOS more attractive overall. Very few Mac users have 15" MBP's, 27" iMacs, and/or Mac Pros which was previously required for any kind of real gaming. Pretty soon virtually every Mac will be able to at least hit a minimum threshold of 30 fps, low settings on "real" games.

I'm not arguing that Mac will become some powerhouse gaming platform, but I think we are in dark days currently and once we are through the silicon transition and lower end Macs are capable of a lot more games things will get much better. I am trying to remember back to the PowerPC -> Intel transition days and seem to remember things being equally bad for games but my memory is definitely foggy there.

You are probably correct, and I do hope that the graphics boost does make it more enticing for some developers.

#47 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:01 PM

The massive boost on the low-end is a BIG win for ARM64. I was blown away by the gfx of shadow of the tombraider on M1 mini.
iMac 27" Late 2012 3,4Ghz i7 NT 680MX
Macbook Air Late 2010 320M
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#48 DoubleTap

DoubleTap

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:33 PM

I've decided to become a Windows gamer. For now with a GeForce Now account as I wait for my Shadow server (they are telling me it will be ready in December).

If I buy a game at Steam or Epic and there is an Apple version I will play that otherwise I'll just play via GeForce (via Shadow in the future).

My next Apple computer (which I probably won't need for another 4 to 6 years) will most likely be a Mini with a hugh monitor.

I'm thinking a Mini with a Shadow account will be my future for computing/gaming for the next 10 to 15 years.

#49 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3260 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:18 AM

View PostDoubleTap, on 29 April 2021 - 10:33 PM, said:

I've decided to become a Windows gamer.
Thanks for letting us know. Your IMG account will deactivate in 30 days. Sorry to do that, but there's a long waiting list of Mac gamers wanting to join the IMG forums as soon as a good username frees up. And "Doubletap" is one of our most requested.

LONG LIST of Mac gamers, I say!

.. Tell you what, you're a gamer who likes Macs, and that's good enough for me. I'll fudge the books, let you hang around for another decade. Maybe the rest of the AS lineup will kick butt and Blizzard will relent and Feral will announce their 2022 releases and you'll change your mind over the next 4 years. (Or maybe you'll fall in love with hidden object games.)

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#50 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17752 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:48 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 30 April 2021 - 06:18 AM, said:

Thanks for letting us know. Your IMG account will deactivate in 30 days. Sorry to do that, but there's a long waiting list of Mac gamers wanting to join the IMG forums as soon as a good username frees up. And "Doubletap" is one of our most requested.

That's the old pepper Matt.  Good form, delectable threats, and stark consequences.  The only thing missing would be for you to hold him in a headlock and noogie him while you brandished cold justice.

Let this be a lesson to the rest of you!  Resistance is futile!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#51 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • 4568 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 11:24 PM

I've decided to become a Windows gamer. For now with a GeForce Now account as I wait for my Shadow server (they are telling me it will be ready in December).
i thought they filed for bankruptcy a couple of months ago?

#52 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8714 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:39 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 02 May 2021 - 11:24 PM, said:

i thought they filed for bankruptcy a couple of months ago?
They've been bought up a few days ago.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#53 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:20 AM

If I buy a game at Steam or Epic and there is an Apple version I will play that otherwise I'll just play via GeForce (via Shadow in the future).

I hope for you it works better than Stadia for me. I had a free 3 months trial so I tested, but won't use anymore than my 10 mn test, because:
- performance is awful. Despite a 100 Mb/s Internet connection and 8 ms ping (measured on my computer) I get stutters, lag, out of sync audio. Now I guess that can be in all or part be explained by the fact my computer is connected via Wi-Fi to an access point, itself connected via PLC to the Internet router. Still I can game online well enough, but for this it's very bad.
- only 1080p and 4K support, nothing in between. So I get an ugly 1080p image on my 1440p monitor.
- no more than 30 games

#54 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17752 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:33 PM

I've decided to become a Windows gamer.

Same here after my mid 2010 Mac tower could no longer run games.  It couldn't update it's OS either.  I switched the tower to an M1 mini when that first came out.  I love my Mac and use it for everything not gaming.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#55 Homy

Homy

Recharable Bionic Buttocks

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:09 AM

Very interesting!

"We've been making use of Metal on iOS to great effect since its release in 2014. A fast, agile, feature-rich API like Metal is exactly what we need to bring a game designed for modern consoles and desktops to the battery-powered ‌iPhone‌ and iPad. As a developer, it blows away OpenGL in every way.", Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic Games.

https://www.macrumor...le-trial-day-2/

#56 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1765 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:53 PM

Well, that covers the mobile market. I tried looking up the macOS system requirements for Fortnite and…it's only available for Windows now? That's news to me.
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#57 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:54 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 05 May 2021 - 02:53 PM, said:

Well, that covers the mobile market. I tried looking up the macOS system requirements for Fortnite and…it's only available for Windows now? That's news to me.

Apple and Epic are having a big legal battle. Epic wanted to bypass in app purchases on iOS - Apple said no and pulled the app from iOS. Then Epic retaliaited by pulling the app from macOS (despite that fact that the game uses the Epic launcher and apple has 0 cut of the Fortnite mac money)

Here is the latest news on their trial: https://www.macrumor...le-trial-day-2/
16" MBP: i9 9880H @ 2.3 GHz || Radeon 5500M 8GB || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB SSD
Desktop: 5600X || RTX 3070 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Series X || PS5 || iPhone 12

#58 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:18 AM

I might be wrong but I think Apple revoked Epics developer certificates -> no more binary codesigning -> no valid releases for any Apple platform.
Yes, they could release unsigned Fortnite for macOS and coerce users to bypass the Gatekeeper to launch it but from their point of view why bother. iOS is the big deal for them

#59 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8714 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:23 AM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 06 May 2021 - 01:18 AM, said:

I might be wrong but I think Apple revoked Epics developer certificates -> no more binary codesigning -> no valid releases for any Apple platform.
Yes, they could release unsigned Fortnite for macOS and coerce users to bypass the Gatekeeper to launch it but from their point of view why bother. iOS is the big deal for them
Epic's developer account never was revoked. Apple threatened to do that, but a judge's order prevented that. Epic's App Store account however is blocked, so they can't distribute anything there.

Nothing is stopping them from still distributing Fortnite for the Mac. They are just holding it hostage out of spite.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#60 jeannot

jeannot

Taunting a Second Time

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:40 AM

Yeah, the macOS version of Fortnite must have generate like 0.1% of the overall Fortnite revenue. You see that tiny piece of the pie below, which isn't even labelled? You need to squint to see it. The Apple-labelled piece is iOS.
Posted Image