Great analysis Ozzy!

#62 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 01:58 AM

When will they fix this ugly controller issue. It's one thing not to have optimized software for a new chip and tell us: play the old stuff it's good enough...but without controller-support? man this transition is a popsnizzlety one.

Who is to blame for the controller-issue?
iMac 27" Late 2012 3,4Ghz i7 NT 680MX
Macbook Air Late 2010 320M
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#63 jeannot

jeannot

Taunting a Second Time

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:39 PM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 27 March 2021 - 01:58 AM, said:

When will they fix this ugly controller issue. It's one thing not to have optimized software for a new chip and tell us: play the old stuff it's good enough...but without controller-support? man this transition is a popsnizzlety one.

Who is to blame for the controller-issue?
Game developers not supporting controllers?

#64 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 06:19 PM

What? Those games work fine on intel with controller, but not on M1.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#65 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1765 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 09:59 PM

I can only guess it might be no native/M1 kext for said controller and/or the developer's approach for controller support was ad hoc.
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#66 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1696 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:04 AM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 25 November 2020 - 09:27 AM, said:

The "middleware" seems to be "standard-stuff", so who is responsible for that?
Do the porters use their own "middleware"...? what are we talking about? sound-libs/keyb-/mouse/joystick-libs?

We're talking about middleware like Havok, Wwise, PhysX and so on. We don't typically have the full source for these bits, so we generally hit up the middleware provider, beg for a version and then wait. It's particularly problematic for older versions. There are many different versions of Wwise and Havok, for example, and it's not as simple as just dropping in a new one, as it often breaks compatibility with existing game data. So we wait.

But beyond that, there's no native Steamworks yet, so it's currently close-to-impossible to release M1-native stuff on Steam.

View Postdr.zeissler, on 27 March 2021 - 01:58 AM, said:

When will they fix this ugly controller issue.

Who is "they" and what is the controller issue?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#67 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:15 AM

It's perhaps the same problem. Afaik some devs do support controllers in their games natively (if you have an installed 3rdparty-driver you have to disable it in order to get the game working (mostly older aspyr-titles). Then devs use the 3rdparty drivers for their dvd-releases. I also think that the steam client has it's own driver for gamepads. And this driver does not seem to work in most cases under ros2. Therefore games that have working controller support in steam don't have it anymore if you run the game on M1.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#68 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:23 AM

month's gone...no native ARM64 AAA games on the horizon...

...but I read about BaldursGate3 and MetroExodus to get native ports later that year...but what about the common porters....nothing. Are the sales so bad for M1 ?
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#69 Homy

Homy

Recharable Bionic Buttocks

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:38 AM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 10 July 2021 - 06:23 AM, said:

...but I read about BaldursGate3 and MetroExodus to get native ports later that year...but what about the common porters....nothing. Are the sales so bad for M1 ?

Where did you read about a native port of ME for Apple Silicon?

#70 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6227 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:14 PM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 10 July 2021 - 06:23 AM, said:

month's gone...no native ARM64 AAA games on the horizon...

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.5 GHz i9 11900K / 32GB RAM / TITAN V 12GB / 2TB Intel 7600p, 4TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 14TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / GeForce GT 650M 1GB / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#71 galad

galad

Fanatic

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:43 PM

The main issue is that Steam and Epic Store libraries are not available for arm yet. There are native games on the Mac App Store, but there can't be on Steam or Epic.

#72 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 16 July 2021 - 11:59 AM

Interestingly, Patch 5 for Baldurís Gate 3, on Steam, says it now supports Apple Silicon. But it only works without Steam integration. So I guess itíll not use Rosetta if you run it outside of the client?

#73 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1765 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 08:46 PM

View PostCougar, on 16 July 2021 - 11:59 AM, said:

Interestingly, Patch 5 for Baldur's Gate 3, on Steam, says it now supports Apple Silicon. But it only works without Steam integration. So I guess it'll not use Rosetta if you run it outside of the client?
:cool:  that's confusing
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#74 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 19 July 2021 - 08:16 AM

Regardless of how well M1 macs are selling, Intel Macs have had years to saturate the market and not everyone is going to run out and buy an M1 mac overnight. Many people are waiting for their Intel Mac to get a bit older before replacing it and/or waiting for 2nd or 3rd generation Apple Silicon in order to fix some of the annoyances of the current M1 chip (M1 laptops not supporting dual monitors is the reason I don't own an M1 machine).

Further, game development is a slow moving process. I would be shocked if any devs outside of Feral Interactive saw the M1 macs and then immediately decided to begin porting their games to it. M1 needs time on the market to marinate a bit. Devs have to see what it is capable of with the handful of games that do release on it. They then need to decide to port either their game or their engine to Apple Silicon, which might be a quick process or might be a massive process. Lastly, I think Apple has burned game devs a bit with the recent changes to macOS (32 bit apocalypse, architecture change) so devs need some time to recover before trusting Apple with their time again.

I do think that Apple Silicon sharing the same architecture with Apple A series chips will be a huge boon to game development. Hypothetically speaking, Civilization 7 could release and be ported to apple silicon and that would immediately give them access to the millions of Apple Silicon Macs PLUS the 10's of millions of iPads that are already on the market. To contrast, Civilization 6 had to get separate Mac and iPad ports, which is likely double the work for the team porting it.
16" MBP: i9 9880H @ 2.3 GHz || Radeon 5500M 8GB || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB SSD
Desktop: 5600X || RTX 3070 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Series X || PS5 || iPhone 12

#75 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3260 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 12:37 PM

All good points.

I strongly suspect Feral will build Total War: Warhammer 3 for AS if they can. If AS is not in the initial release, then they'll add it later. Feral is a forward-looking company, and TW games have a "long tail" of sales due to aggressive patches and DLC. Just the kind of thing that would fund the extra development effort needed.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#76 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 02:32 PM

very very disappointing arm64 support. no big AAA titles available...12 month's gone...nothing.
Great that the even more powerful m1(x) is on the horizon... what a shame!

aspyr gone...not even patching the x86 64bit stuff...
feral is porting the countless version of some old strategy stuff...

TIM go and get some money to convince/pay the porters for some NEW AAA-titles to show what M1 could really do!
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#77 Homy

Homy

Recharable Bionic Buttocks

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:29 AM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 09 September 2021 - 02:32 PM, said:

very very disappointing arm64 support. no big AAA titles available...12 month's gone...nothing.
Great that the even more powerful m1(x) is on the horizon... what a shame!

aspyr gone...not even patching the x86 64bit stuff...
feral is porting the countless version of some old strategy stuff...

TIM go and get some money to convince/pay the porters for some NEW AAA-titles to show what M1 could really do!

Developing new games and porting them usually takes 3-5 years. When it comes to porting existing Mac games to Apple Silicon I understand why developers/porting houses take their time. One reason is Rosetta 2 speed. Last time native ports were much more needed because Rosetta 1 was so slow. It is much better now because Apple has implemented x86 instructions directly into the M1. This makes Rosetta 2 so fast it sometimes is faster than a native Intel app. Some apps/games also don't gain much speed or any at all with a native M1 port. There are already several examples.

Another reason is the upcoming M1X and M2 with 16-32 GPU cores or more. The current problem with bad performance in games is not Rosetta but M1 8-core GPU. Although many larger games still may lack good performance on M1 developers know that Macs in the near future, as near as the next month, will have 2-4 times better graphics performance. It means you should be able to run Borderlands 3 at 1440p ultra settings at 60 fps with 32 GPU cores in Rosetta. There wouldn't be much need for porting existing games with such performance.

One example is Feral. They have tested their existing games and ensured that they run fine. These games will fly on the future Macs for many years. For that reason they have decided to put their efforts on new native ports for Apple Silicon. As you can see  Total War: Rome Remastered already has native M1 support and so will Total War: Warhammer III.

"For now we intend that all new Feral releases will offer native support for both new Apple hardware and older, Intel-based Macs. Our goal is to accommodate as many Mac gamers as possible for as long as it is technically feasible and commercially viable."

I think that's the path many developers have taken. People shouldn't focus so much on status quo and should instead have some patience.