182 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

I've noticed that Borderlands 2 keeps popping up to derail other threads. I am often the culprit so I figured I'd start a new thread for future complaints.

Currently I'm miffed because if I'm good enough to get to the Handsome Sorcerer boss near the climax of the Tiny Tina DLC, granted he should be hard to beat, maybe too hard unless I play to the best of my ability and have a little luck besides. What he should NOT do is regenerate back to full health and shield every few minutes just when I'm getting somewhere. And repeat until I run out of ammo or slip up and die.

So I guess I'm supposed to go off and do more side-missions for a week to level up some more? Way to ruin your own climax, developers.

Possibly more annoying are the smug assholes who put up YouTube videos explaining how to beat one boss or other. The ones I sat through said "It's easy! Look how fast I can beat him! All you need is X piece of overpowered equipment." Idiots, I don't have that equipment and if i did, I wouldn't be looking for a strategy video on YouTube. If you don't know any actual strategies then shut your cakehole. It reminds me of Steve Martin's joke about how to make a million dollars and not pay taxes. "Step 1: Get a million dollars."

So the love-hate relationship with this game continues. Am I the only one who is having trouble with this boss? Is there something I can do to prevent him from getting his health & shield back to 100%?
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#2 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:26 AM

Haha, love the rant. And no, I couldn't beat him with my assassin either and eventually gave up. Have started a new play through with a mechromancer which is proving fun at the moment

#3 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Matt and ozzy, I don't remember having such difficulties beating the guy, and I'm playing with the assasssin too. However, I played DLCs in order (so that was the fourth), and I had completed every side mission available (except those tier 3 battles and the like where you need to have an insane level). Zero's Many Must Fall action skill is terrific to quickly regain your health by stabing a few grunts.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17419 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

I didn't fight the bastich, I never made it past those damn crushing platforms.  After a dozen attempts I just said frak it, I ranted about it here and was offered a helpful suggestion so next time I'll have an educated shot at it.

I do have some general boss fight tips to offer though, and one that speaks directly to your dilemma.  Many bosses have regenerating shields and health just like you do.  The trick to keep them from regenerating is to always apply damage pressure to them.  As soon as they receive damage it resets the time delay on the shields.  

Bring an electric weapon for the shields, you really have to or you just burn through tons of ammo simply getting their shields down, during which time you are taking damage yourself, and they have more health and shields than you.  So first use an electrical weapon to strip their shields.  

Next you must work on their health as effectively as possible, by this I mean an elemental weapon to match their health.  If they have a yellow health bar use a corrosive weapon, if they have a red health bar use a fire weapon.  Don't forget to set your grenade's element to match, preferably a seeking grenade that returns health.  Also you should have a store of alien artifacts that amplify damage types such as fire and corrosion as well as others.  You should be finding and keeping the best of these as you find them throughout the game.  I keep mine in my safe in Sanctuary, carrying a couple with me that I use the most.  I also have been saving shields that add invulnerability to an element.  Pyro Pete was nothing to fight with the proper shield.

I'm not sure what your action skill is or the benefits it returns to you as an Assassin but the old Siren from BL1 gained health when she went into stealth.  If this is so with the Assassin then save your action skill for when your shields are blown and your health is low.  Otherwise make the most use of your action skill.  It is your power base, your most powerful weapon.

In every boss room there is a spot you can hide to shoot from.  This is not always obvious and sometimes needs to be searched for.  Die a few times just looking for it.  Remember you can hit escape the moment you die then save and quit and not be charged money.  In any case cover is always your friend.

Also, you too can have an overpowered weapon.  If a friend has one and is willing to loan it to you, he can drop it for you in multiplayer to allow you to kill the damn boss and then return it the same way.

Hope this helps and I hope I didn't come across as condescending.  I'm just throwing everything at you because I hate being frustrated by a fight I should be able to win.  Hopefully something I said has not already occurred to you and will give you the edge you need.

Good luck Matt!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8085 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 01 March 2014 - 12:16 AM, said:

Currently I'm miffed because if I'm good enough to get to the Handsome Sorcerer boss near the climax of the Tiny Tina DLC, granted he should be hard to beat, maybe too hard unless I play to the best of my ability and have a little luck besides. What he should NOT do is regenerate back to full health and shield every few minutes just when I'm getting somewhere. And repeat until I run out of ammo or slip up and die.
I can't remember whether the Handsome Sorcerer has some active healing ability (that's when the little red/white crosses float around), but it's actually normal that the BL bosses regain full health when you leave them alone for a couple of minutes. I mean, it's a boss fight. They are meant to be difficult and you aren't supposed to take you character on a lunch break during a boss fight. :P

The only thing you could really do is keeping up the pressure on him. Ammo shouldn't be much of a problem. In the boss fight arenas, there are usually plenty of loot containers strewn all over the place, keeping you provided with it.

If you still have problems, I think the best advice would be to gather a friend or two and take on him in a group.

Possibly more annoying are the smug assholes who put up YouTube videos explaining how to beat one boss or other. The ones I sat through said "It's easy! Look how fast I can beat him! All you need is X piece of overpowered equipment."
Ugh, yes. "Just get these three pieces of ultra-rare equipment and the boss is just a push-over". :glare:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for the replies. Here's the rub: he seems to cast some kind of spell and gets all of his health and shield back. I'm always present when he does it. It's like nothing I've seen in this game before. As far as I can tell, I have about 2 minutes to get his health down to zero, otherwise I have to start from scratch. Even my Bee Shield isn't cutting it. And this is just his first incarnation (it's the defeat-him-three-times game trope.)

I was hoping there was a trick to prevent him from healing himself. A pretty common boss design is the boss does a particular action to heal, and once you notice how they do it you can prevent it. But as far as I can tell, there's no such trick here. I'm just not delivering damage fast enough.

Alright, here's my game plan. I'll use up some golden keys, see if I can get something that will help. If no joy then I'll return to the main storyline (which I've been avoiding because it makes Sanctuary temporarily unavailable) or try to finish Torgue's DLC (which I was also stuck on, but that's another topic.)

The finding cover suggestion is a good one; I'll look for that to help me stay alive, but ultimately I need to figure out how to damage him quickly, I can't just take cover and wear him down over time.

In the cold light of day I can see I shouldn't have been too surprised by this; previously I had to leave the Leviathan boss for a while and level up for a while elsewhere. When I came back 5 levels later I had no trouble. It just feels cheap, particular when the game is telling you that if you don't rescue the queen in the next few minutes the world will end.

>If you still have problems, I think the best advice would be to gather a friend or two and take on him in a group.

Making friends is even harder than defeating this boss. :-)

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:28 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 01 March 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

If they have a yellow health bar use a corrosive weapon, if they have a red health bar use a fire weapon.  
Thanks, I did not know this tip. And I even just killed the big birdy in the classical campaign, yesterday.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#8 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

I don't have too much to add, Battle Cat pretty much covered it, except don't forget about the relics around the edge of the arena. They cost Eridium but they can be useful.

I can't remember from the other threads, what character and level are you? I vaguely recall somebody playing as Zero but I'm not sure if that was you or not. And, what play through are you on? Normal? True Vault Hunter? I'm not awesome sauce but I am willing to help you out in co-op if you're interested in going that route. We just need to make sure we're similar levels. I would also probably  bring a friend who's much better than myself. He's especially good at picking me up when I invariably get myself downed. I'd just need a couple days notice so I can make sure he's available.

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17419 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Keep in mind, the more people in your party, the tougher the enemies and bosses.  But more is still better, as the cumulative effect of more people is a positive one for the player.  It's the only way to defeat some bosses.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

Thanks, all. You are all very kind to offer to help.

I'm playing Zero, he's level 48 or 49, True Vault Hunter. I know from experience that it is difficult for me to synch up online with other people so I haven't bothered for years. But I will keep it in mind, as I'm sure it would be a blast.

Tonight I think I have to rest and soak my wrist, it's aching from working at my non-ergonomic home desk. Plus I need to start working on taxes... I'll post an update next time i make progress in the game (or next time I flip out at it.)

Hey, here's another question: I haven't found much use for money in TVH mode. It's very uncommon to find anything worth buying in a vending machine. I usually collect money for a while, then lose most of it when I get stuck respawning against some boss.. Oh, there's the occasional need to stock up on ammo of course. Is that pretty much it?

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17419 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

I rarely buy anything from the machines except ammo.  I buy health when I first start a character but stop after it develops self healing abilities.  You will still want to check out weapons on the ground and in chests for upgrades even if you don't take them and sell them.  Also there are badass ranks and achievements for picking up and selling different stuff.  Be advised when you are playing Ultimate Vault Hunter mode you will burn through a lot of ammo at expensive rates until you find more powerful weapons so save up for it.  I'm in UVH mode and I'm losing money keeping in ammo.  Glad I saved up.

The more money you have the more respecs cost as well as respawns.  If you want to keep from being charged for a respawn then as soon as your character falls to the ground dead then hit escape, select "save and quit" and then restart from there.  You will respawn normally without a fee.

Always save eridium.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3802 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:23 AM

Save eridium for what? Ammo upgrades then?

Im currently lvl27 with my siren, and apart from using the same weapons for the last 10 levels, im doing quite okay in normal mode. Have 80.000 saved up at the moment. They could have another money sink IMO, other than the vending machines at Moxxis (Not, not Moxxi herself... sigh...).

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17419 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

The game has a True Vault Hunter mode and Ultimate Vault Hunter mode, these give you access to more upgrades from Crazy Earl, up to 200 Eridium each at the high end.  Plus in Tiny Tina's dungeon assault you spend Eridium to do stuff.  I haven't played all the DLCs so you might be able to spend it in one of those others too.

Wow Thain, you are the only guy in Sanctuary that didn't get lucky with Moxxi.  Erm... uh... has Moxxi said anything about me?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 04 March 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Erm... uh... has Moxxi said anything about me?

The good news is, she definitely remembers you, and when I mentioned your name she talked about you at some length.

The details aren't important. You made an impression, that's the main thing.

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17419 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 04 March 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

The good news is, she definitely remembers you, and when I mentioned your name she talked about you at some length.

The details aren't important. You made an impression, that's the main thing.

Er... well, it happens to all guys once in a while.  It's not that I don't think she is attractive, I've had a lot on my mind lately... tax time and all.  ::cough cough::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

So I started playing this again this weekend. Decided to try and roll the Mechromancer, and fly with it. I read that 'you can really use any weapon you like the most' but I am getting really ticked off that all the class mods I find are to boost ASSAULT RIFLE damage and accuracy. I hate those guns. Nothing to boost pistols and snipers, which are the two gun types I love the most.

Also, I am completely ignoring the really lame "Anarchy" side of her entire skill tree. Loose accuracy the more you fight? To hell with that, I want my bullets to go where I shoot them. Its bad enough to run out of ammo when you are hitting what you are aiming at, but to just waste ammo willy nilly like its a good thing? Pfft.

I'm doing ok, have not died yet, but mainly because I love the Deathtrap robot. Throw him out there in a pinch, and go hide in a hole to let me shields warm up, while I pick the heads off bad guys with my sniper rifle or pistols. Hehehe...

Yes, this was more of a rant.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#17 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3802 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:50 AM

I hate pistols. In my experience assault rifles deal the most damage over the shortest periode of time.

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17419 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

I'm an accurate pistol and sniper rifle player.  It's my style, dead on accuracy and precision murder.  I took a chance and have invested in the Anarchy skill tree and I absolutely love it.  It's the opposite of how I play!  It is intellectually backwards.  It is philosophically backwards.  But in the wacky game world physics it actually makes you much much more dangerous.  As you collect anarchy stacks it's true your accuracy goes down, but sniper rifles still work well enough and with each stack your shots do more damage.  You get to the point where anything you shoot is a BFG.  Invest in ricochets and you wind up hitting things just about as often if not more so.  It is impossible to miss someone across a field with a shotgun.  Something very powerful will find him and slap the snot out of him with a ricochet.  

I highly recommend you give this skill tree a shot, it is a blast to wade in side by side with Deathtrap and deal chaos and destruction.  Remember, you can always reload and your anarchy stops, and your dead on accuracy returns.  If you don't like it you can respec, but you really should give it a chance.  So far it's her most powerful skill.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

Interesting. Well, I might try it. Sadly whenever I pick up an SMG/AR/Shotgun ... I'm out of ammo before I reach the next batch of enemies =p

I also have a very VERY bad habit of hitting "R" (reload) every single time I duck into cover, or turn away from an enemy. Its so habit I don't even realize I'm doing it... I'm constantly reloading. I actually had to stop bothering with weapons that 'explode on reload"... as I couldn't tell what was going on with all the explosions around me (which were just me reloading!) haha... total disorientationfactormonster.

However, I gotta say ... over BL1, I LOVE those guns that are "Fire as fast as you can pull the trigger". As it allows me to wail bullets when I know I'm on target, and not have to be at the mercy of its auto-repeat. And guns with a hire rate-of-fire I would end up wasting bullets as it would throw out 3 before I let up on the mouse button =p But those fire as you click... I wouldn't have though it, but I really take to those!

Oh, and those grenades that put out a field and continually thrash foes? LOVE EM LOVE EM LOVE EM!!! Its like a personal turret for ANY character class! I so love the electrify grenades that continually zap for a duration... cause it really halts enemies, shocking them, and stunning. Far more useful it seems than the other types. Mmm.

Now only if I could do something about the popsnizzlety new GUI ;) I hope BL3 they finally fix the GUI.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#20 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3802 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

Siren with pulling vortex doing damage from all elements, topped with an electrical grenade on the side. Nom nom DPS.