40 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

If I buy a game, Rage, through GameAgent does that mean I have to play it from within a GameAgent app?  I don't have any such app loaded and I don't want to have another setup like Steam or Mac Game Store in order to play a game I own.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

Just so you know, you don't actually need Steam or the Mac Game Store app to play games downloaded with those.  (The exception being first-party Valve games like Half-Life2; those require Steam.)  You can just find the app where it's downloaded, make an alias (so the game can still be updated normally) and move the alias to wherever you want, then launch the game from the alias as normal.

--Eric

#3 Aspyr-Blair

Aspyr-Blair

Aspyr

• Developer
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 September 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

If I buy a game, Rage, through GameAgent does that mean I have to play it from within a GameAgent app?  I don't have any such app loaded and I don't want to have another setup like Steam or Mac Game Store in order to play a game I own.

RAGE specifically is a direct download from Aspyr/GameAgent.  You do not need a client to play the game.  Many of our titles are Steam based however and will require Steam to play (although, I believe Eric's trick above works).  That said, there is no GameAgent client.  GameAgent is a gamer support based site created by us (Aspyr) to help you figure out if the game will run, and helps you find the best price.  :)

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

Thanks guys.  Off to buy Rage from GameAgent.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

I am happy to hear that you solved your purchase issue prior to becoming enraged.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:24 AM

View PostEric5h5, on 12 September 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Just so you know, you don't actually need Steam or the Mac Game Store app to play games downloaded with those.  (The exception being first-party Valve games like Half-Life2; those require Steam.)  You can just find the app where it's downloaded, make an alias (so the game can still be updated normally) and move the alias to wherever you want, then launch the game from the alias as normal.
Not quite. I think the games that actually require Steam to be running are the majority. Anything that uses SteamWorks (for achievements and the like) won't run without Steam.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:47 AM

My first experience with Rage is rage at the downloader.  I have the capacity for 650K but it only goes up to about 500K and then only for a minute before it stalls to 0K.  If I hit the pause on the downloader then restart it, it bumps back up to about 500K for another minute before it stalls again.  And by stalls I mean stays stalled for hours until I hit pause then restart it... for a minute.  It's going to take weeks at this rate.  I've tried disconnecting from my provider and reconnecting but with the same results.  I've checked my line and it's indeed clocking at just over 650K

While typing this I've restarted the downloader a couple times.  This totally sucks, worst download ever.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 September 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

My first experience with Rage is rage at the downloader.  I have the capacity for 650K but it only goes up to about 500K and then only for a minute before it stalls to 0K.  If I hit the pause on the downloader then restart it, it bumps back up to about 500K for another minute before it stalls again.  And by stalls I mean stays stalled for hours until I hit pause then restart it... for a minute.  It's going to take weeks at this rate.  I've tried disconnecting from my provider and reconnecting but with the same results.  I've checked my line and it's indeed clocking at just over 650K

While typing this I've restarted the downloader a couple times.  This totally sucks, worst download ever.

That is one of the many reasons I always buy physical copies of software. Downloadables suck, I want my money to go toward more than just some data. I'll keep my cheap plastic, cardboard, and paper that is usually made in China since the US apparently lacks the expertise to make such arcane items. (That and that it is supposedly much cheaper to manufacture over there.)

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 September 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

The MGS App downloader wouldn't be doing that ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

I've never had a problem with any downloader before.  This one sucks big time and the names I see on the downloader are Aspyr and Bethesda, both of which I'm beginning to loath.  I wanted to make it a direct sale to Aspyr figuring they'ed get a bigger cut but I should have gone with Amazon.com or MGS (didn't know MGS carried Rage till FM mentioned it)  I will never buy a game directly from Aspyr again, lesson learned.

Aspyr, if you find your direct sales lagging, this is why.  I can't imagine anyone using your system twice.

Right now I'm trying to figure out an AppleScript that will automatically pause and run Rage-DLM once every minute but I can't make heads or tails out of the AppleScript Editor.  Can anyone lend a hand?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

I know from experience, download management and writing a robust app for it, is not a simple thing to accomplish.

Our system has been fully rewritten (twice) since it was MacGamesArcade. With the current system in place now cutting download issues by (tries to do math in head) ... well, lets say the old system used to log a 40% issue rate (mostly international)... but now its about <1%, and usually from crazy 3rd world countries where people are going through ham radios and proxies and the sort.

So, giving credit to Aspyr, sometimes download issues crop up that may not be in the app's area. However I am not putting the blame to you either.... I just know connection issues can come out of nowhere for no damned good reason. Some coming from seemingly ok services normally, but then, blammo... total bustage.

I'm just saying, don't discount aspyr's downloader just yet. It may be sunspots! :)

Or whatever ... hehe.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#12 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 13 September 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

Not quite. I think the games that actually require Steam to be running are the majority. Anything that uses SteamWorks (for achievements and the like) won't run without Steam.

Not according to the games I have...around 30 from Steam, and all but the Valve titles and a few others run on their own.  If they have achievements, it's just that nothing happens when you get one if you run without Steam, although I had discovered that if you run the game through Steam later, you may get some of the ones you achieved all at once.  So if you care about achievements, obviously you'd want to run through Steam.

--Eric

#13 Aspyr-Blair

Aspyr-Blair

Aspyr

• Developer
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 September 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

I've never had a problem with any downloader before.  This one sucks big time and the names I see on the downloader are Aspyr and Bethesda, both of which I'm beginning to loath.  I wanted to make it a direct sale to Aspyr figuring they'ed get a bigger cut but I should have gone with Amazon.com or MGS (didn't know MGS carried Rage till FM mentioned it)  I will never buy a game directly from Aspyr again, lesson learned.

Aspyr, if you find your direct sales lagging, this is why.  I can't imagine anyone using your system twice.

Right now I'm trying to figure out an AppleScript that will automatically pause and run Rage-DLM once every minute but I can't make heads or tails out of the AppleScript Editor.  Can anyone lend a hand?

Ugh...super sorry you are having issues Battle Cat.  Frigidman is right, its a rare issue but it certainly does happen (MGS downloader is great btw.)

Cat, send me a PM and I will get you handled. No worries.

#14 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostAspyr-Blair, on 13 September 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Cat, send me a PM and I will get you handled. No worries.

Excellent!  His wife will no longer have to shove him into that cat carrier to take him to the vet.  Just grab the handle and off they go!

Meanwhile, down in BattleCat's basement, we'll continue to bogart his bandwidth.  After the Golden Girls marathon, I say we watch every Star Trek episode, from every series.  Twice.

#15 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

View PostEric5h5, on 13 September 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

Not according to the games I have...around 30 from Steam, and all but the Valve titles and a few others run on their own.  If they have achievements, it's just that nothing happens when you get one if you run without Steam, although I had discovered that if you run the game through Steam later, you may get some of the ones you achieved all at once.  So if you care about achievements, obviously you'd want to run through Steam.

It might be different on Steam Mac. I know on my Steam PC... all my games refuse to launch without first having steam running. Even if I am offline, it still launches steam in offline mode before the game will launch. I have about 87 games. Not one has let me run it stand-alone :( (this is on my PC).

-Fm [1oM7]

#16 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Yes, on Windows, all Steam games require Steam to run.  (I have some Windows Steam games that I run with Crossover.)  Most Mac games on Steam are just normal app bundles buried in your ~Library/Application Support folder.  There are a few that are kind of weird and not standard Mac apps, like the Valve games I mentioned earlier, and can't be launched at all without Steam.  The only non-Valve game I found like that is Serious Sam 3, though there are a couple of "normal" games that crash unless launched through Steam.

--Eric

#17 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostEric5h5, on 13 September 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Yes, on Windows, all Steam games require Steam to run.  (I have some Windows Steam games that I run with Crossover.)  Most Mac games on Steam are just normal app bundles buried in your ~Library/Application Support folder.  There are a few that are kind of weird and not standard Mac apps, like the Valve games I mentioned earlier, and can't be launched at all without Steam.  The only non-Valve game I found like that is Serious Sam 3, though there are a couple of "normal" games that crash unless launched through Steam.

Ah, good to know. I'm guilty in not installing a single mac steam game on my mac ;) Despite many of my games do have mac versions available to install.

-Fm [1oM7]

#18 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

Since we are on the topic, what's Aspyr's take on DRM these days for direct sales? When their online store was introduced with limted unrevocable activation and such it was enough to never buy anything directly from Apsyr, ever. Only from Steam or MAS.

I am sure they have done something about it, since then. So if some one can clearly and precisely fill me in on the current state I'd be thankful.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#19 Gliniolu

Gliniolu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 13 September 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

It might be different on Steam Mac. I know on my Steam PC... all my games refuse to launch without first having steam running. Even if I am offline, it still launches steam in offline mode before the game will launch. I have about 87 games. Not one has let me run it stand-alone :( (this is on my PC).
If you try the shortcut Stream generated for you sure it can only launch the client as this shortcut launchs the client. If you try run the game through it's exe file it could work, but it should be rare. I do know some games work by launching their exe and not have the client open/launched. I don't remember any example but I'm sure there's some.

#20 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostGliniolu, on 14 September 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

If you try the shortcut Stream generated for you sure it can only launch the client as this shortcut launchs the client. If you try run the game through it's exe file it could work, but it should be rare. I do know some games work by launching their exe and not have the client open/launched. I don't remember any example but I'm sure there's some.

The only one I was able to do that with, was Fallout New Vegas, because I run a 'wrapper' on it to enhance its graphics and apply other mods. Which does something which causes steam to not launch.

As for other games, it got to the point where I stopped trying to run them by themself, and just go with launching from steam and put steam on auto-start when the machine boots. Since I am always online anyhow, and I buy so many dang PC games through steam (heck, I don't buy them ANYWHERE else)... its not really a bother to me anymore ;)

-Fm [1oM7]