Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

View PostFrost, on 23 December 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

The Ouya is basically a very weak NVIDIA Shield with a way more uncomfortable controller and a total lack of portability.

The one good thing is it inspired this YouTube video that is still making me laugh after like 30 views.

Kickstarter, Early Access, Pre-orders, don't let them happen to you. Remember folks, the road to hell is paved with good intentions!

Insist on finished, tested and user reviewed excellent products. Accept no substitutes!
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#182 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:20 PM

That guy looked like he probably shot himself in the taint with a Colt .45 a few moments after the video stopped.  Now that's enthusiasm.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#183 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 28 July 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

Kickstarter, , don't let them happen to you. Remember folks, the road to hell is paved with good intentions!
I think it's a matter of picking the right projects. I have backed 15 Kickstarter campaigns, of which 8 have already delivered. Five of these were worth every cent spent on them: Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns + Dragonfall, SR Hong Kong, Elite Dangerous, and Pillars of Eternity. The seven projects still outstanding are either in the hands of developers who have proven their worth in earlier campaigns (Bard's Tale IV, Torment: Tides of Numenera, BattleTech) and/or have by now otherwise shown they know what they are doing (Underworld Ascendant, Bloodstained, Kingdom Come, System Shock Remake).

Only three projects I would deem a dud: the Ouya (for being half-assed and shipping early production models known to be borderline defective to their backers), Star Command Galaxies (four years past due and probably still a couple of years away from being finished), and Mighty No. 9 (delayed, undercooked product, generally bad communication, no trace of the physical rewards, no sign of the Mac and Linux versions).

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#184 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

I've had good luck too. The risk can be lessened greatly by being picky. You want experienced teams for anything big. Beware of stretch goals that are ambitious or that clash with the initial goal (ideally it'll be stuff that was in the original plan then taken out to reduce scope.) Ideally they've iterated on the design already and can be specific about things you will and won't get.

But the main thing is to treat it as an investment. Definitely not the same as pre-ordering. You might end up with a paperweight and angry people making snarky posts & videos about it, which come to think of it is probably worth a few bucks.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#185 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

It is an investment, and all investments involve risk.  Choose wisely.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#186 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:26 PM

Crowdfunding is not investment. It is patronage. Investment typically is allocation of money for an expected future return. People treat these like an investment/preorder/othersale/etc.... It's really fund me, I'll start working on it later, hopefully at some point you'll get a thing as gratitude.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing but there is a serious disconnect between creators and backers. Patronage models have existed for thousands of years. I suppose it kind of went away for a couple centuries and now it seems new and strange but it's been around forever. Kickstarter certainly doesn't seem to do much to dissuade this idea that kickstarter is a "store" other than 14 pages deep in a ToS nobody has read.

That said giving a crowdfunding project the same scrutiny you might give an investment would be sound operating procedure for yer wallet.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#187 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:02 AM

"Investment" doesn't require that there be a return, though that is the most common meaning. Kickstarter backers are effectively angel investors, but backing a specific project rather than a startup company.

Patronage is also a good way to think of it, though to me patronage implies open-ended support of an artist, rather than of a particular project of theirs. But I suspect the dictionary would back up your interpretation.

Anyway, you and I agree on everything except the most precise word to use, so I'm just quibbling.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#188 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:11 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 29 July 2016 - 07:00 AM, said:

I think it's a matter of picking the right projects. I have backed 15 Kickstarter campaigns, of which 8 have already delivered. Five of these were worth every cent spent on them: Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns + Dragonfall, SR Hong Kong, Elite Dangerous, and Pillars of Eternity. The seven projects still outstanding are either in the hands of developers who have proven their worth in earlier campaigns (Bard's Tale IV, Torment: Tides of Numenera, BattleTech) and/or have by now otherwise shown they know what they are doing (Underworld Ascendant, Bloodstained, Kingdom Come, System Shock Remake).

Only three projects I would deem a dud: the Ouya (for being half-assed and shipping early production models known to be borderline defective to their backers), Star Command Galaxies (four years past due and probably still a couple of years away from being finished), and Mighty No. 9 (delayed, undercooked product, generally bad communication, no trace of the physical rewards, no sign of the Mac and Linux versions).

I wrote a lengthy rant about this stuff in general and thought better of it and deleted it.

I understand what you mean but I just don't care for the idea of kickstarter nor early access or pre-orders for that matter but to each their own. I can't begin to keep up with finished stuff myself never mind stuff that isn't.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#189 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1373 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 31 July 2016 - 12:11 AM, said:

I understand what you mean but I just don't care for the idea of kickstarter nor early access or pre-orders for that matter but to each their own. I can't begin to keep up with finished stuff myself never mind stuff that isn't.

To me epic backlogs, which I do have, don't really come into it. It's the fact that the games I enjoy most are by and large not being made anymore, and by contributing to kickstarters I am helping bringing them into being. This is why I'll avoid preorders, early access, and most non-sale purchases while still doing kickstarters.

#190 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:25 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 31 July 2016 - 12:11 AM, said:

I wrote a lengthy rant about this stuff in general and thought better of it and deleted it.

Well, if it helps: I agree with you on the matter of pre-orders and early access. Pre-ordering today is little more than a greedy publisher's way to rip off gullible gamers (along with ridiculous DLC schemes and microtransactions in full-priced games). And the idea of early access might have had some merits initially, but it pretty quickly became obvious that no one profits from it: neither the developers that do not get the steady revenue stream to help further development they had hoped for, nor the gamers that often are stuck with half-assed alpha versions without the prospect of ever getting a finished product. And it certainly doesn't help when triple-A developers abuse that idea to throw unfinished products on the market. The sooner the early access scheme goes the way of the dodo, the better for everyone involved.

I can also see that there is a considerable overlap between the problems with early access and crowdfunding. However, I don't think there is something inherently wrong with the idea of crowdfunding – if you choose the projects to support carefully, as mentioned. It certainly resulted in quite a couple of games (and other products) that probably never would have been made otherwise.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"